KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Reseting comp?

Reseting comp?
Started by: Mystifier

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mystifier
Peaceful Moment

Worried Reseting comp?

Umm, I have a kinda noobish question but how do you reset your comp? Like, totally restart so its like wiped clean, like when you first buy it... confused

..Gotta..Cut away, clear away..Slip away and sever this..Umbilical residue..

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 05:27 PM
Mystifier is currently offline Click here to Send Mystifier a Private Message Find more posts by Mystifier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
furryman
honky

I think it's called system restore.. I have a CD or few that came with my PC to do that.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 05:58 PM
furryman is currently offline Click here to Send furryman a Private Message Find more posts by furryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

for Win XP:

goto start ->programs -> accessoires -> system tools -> system restore
follow instructions there

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 06:31 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mystifier
Peaceful Moment

Don't system restore just reset your comp to an earlier time? I was wondering how you reset the comp totally to the beginning. I think it's called wiping the C: Drive or sumat, I'm not too sure

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 06:52 PM
Mystifier is currently offline Click here to Send Mystifier a Private Message Find more posts by Mystifier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

yeah, but then you gotta set EVERYTHING back on the pc messed

you SURE you want to do that?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 06:57 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mystifier
Peaceful Moment

Yes, I'm sure yes Do you know how I can do it?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 07:19 PM
yerssot

hit properties on the C disk

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 07:20 PM
Kael
The Lone Wolf

do you mean formatting ?

I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 09:26 PM
Kael is currently offline Click here to Send Kael a Private Message Find more posts by Kael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

You should have received a disk from the people you bought the computer from.

If you don't, and don't know what to do, then I really don't think "resetting" your computer is very wise.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 09:41 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kael
The Lone Wolf

well if you do mean formatting it depends what Operating system you are running

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 09:56 PM
Kael is currently offline Click here to Send Kael a Private Message Find more posts by Kael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

in XP this is called system recovery....I have had to run it twice and my computer didnt come with disks they were built in. BUT if you do this you lose EVERYTHING you have put on that computer since you bought it. So back-up back-up back-up! I didnt realize this and the first time I lost about 500 songs. sad

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 04:37 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

fromat c.
and then you have nothing on your disc.
and you have to install everything back again.

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 08:15 AM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

ah but if you use the system recovery you have evrything your computer came installed with just not the new stuff you've added

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 07:01 PM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

a much better solution

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 08:24 PM
Mystifier
Peaceful Moment

quote:
Originally posted by Raz
You should have received a disk from the people you bought the computer from.

If you don't, and don't know what to do, then I really don't think "resetting" your computer is very wise.

I did get some disks... Should I check those?

quote:
Originally posted by Kael
well if you do mean formatting it depends what Operating system you are running

I'm using Win XP

quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
ah but if you use the system recovery you have evrything your computer came installed with just not the new stuff you've added

I can't do that. Whenever I try, to any date, at the end it says something along the lines of 'System recovery could not finish' or something and 'System recovery has been canceled' Something like that I can't remember exactly. I would just do this if I could, it is a better solution, I know. But I can't

The reason why I want to reset, is because some programs arent running properly. 90% of what I install won't work properly and my comp sometimes just reboots itself when everything is fine and a message comes up saying something like 'Serious error' Sometimes it doesnt reboot totally just shuts down all the programs I have running even if it is someat small like Notepad even
I've checked for viruses, spyware and all that. My comps clean... I asked a mate what I should do and he said to just reset my comp. He didn't know how though, that's why I'm asking here

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 09:12 PM
yerssot

try a virusscan and spyware scan first

and your system restore should work fine messed

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 09:16 PM
Kael
The Lone Wolf

well make sure you have a win XP disk and your CD key, and back up all the important files that you want to keep you WILL lose ALL data not backed up.

Then go into your Bios and you have to change the Boot Order settings, so change it so your CDROM boots first.

put your Win Xp disk in the drive, and a message should appear which states " press Any key to boot from CD..." you have to be quick, but press any key. if you miss it just reset the computer and try again.

Then follow on screen instructions

Old Post Jul 15th, 2004 11:02 AM
Mystifier
Peaceful Moment

quote:
Originally posted by Kael
well make sure you have a win XP disk and your CD key, and back up all the important files that you want to keep you WILL lose ALL data not backed up.

Then go into your Bios and you have to change the Boot Order settings, so change it so your CDROM boots first.

put your Win Xp disk in the drive, and a message should appear which states " press Any key to boot from CD..." you have to be quick, but press any key. if you miss it just reset the computer and try again.

Then follow on screen instructions

Ok, thank you loads smile

Old Post Jul 17th, 2004 01:09 AM