KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Why does Windows Temporarily Revert?

Why does Windows Temporarily Revert?
Started by: JKozzy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Worried Why does Windows Temporarily Revert?

Whenever I leave my computer on for long period of time, sometimes 4+ hours, when I come back to the welcome screen, it says I'm "logged on" even if I had 5 programs running before or something. I log on, and any program that wasn't running already is set back to its complete defaults. I open Outlook, it asks for a mail server. I open Internet Explorer, and it goes to the first home page I had. When I reboot, everything's completely normal. And if this happens again, whatever things in this secondary mirror of programs comes back. Does anybody know what the heck I'm talking about, and how to fix it?

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 02:50 AM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

blink never happened to me.

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 08:12 AM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

problem could be situated in you not actually being logged on, but my "knowledge" about this subject is very limited

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 10:10 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Possibly, but Windows shouldn't just do that whenever it feels like it... it should stay the way I put it messed

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 06:45 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

hey, it's windows, it's your own problem stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 06:46 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

sad

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:19 PM
yerssot

checked the options?

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:32 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Which options? The "Revert to factory default after a set time of being idle" options? Haven't found them... erm

I've looked around, but there's nothing I can find that would cause this.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:36 PM
yerssot

just in general of course stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:37 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

In that case, I've found nothing. stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:44 PM
yerssot

well, to me it sounds like you aren't logged in sad

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:46 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Not logged into what? huh

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:49 PM
yerssot

windows blink

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:50 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

I meant I've found nothing that would affect my computer in that way or fix the problem in the options, trust me, I'm logged in wink

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:51 PM
yerssot

but if you re logged in, how come it's back in original setting?

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:52 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Here's how it goes.
*Sits down and is on computer*
*Goes away, turns monitor off, leaves computer on welcome screen while still logged in with programs running*
*Comes back to computer, "X Programs Running" has changed to saying "Logged on"*
*Type in password*
*Any programs that were not already open act like this is the first time running them; Microsoft Word asks for activation, Internet Homepage is the factory set VAIO page, some desktop items are removed, some are added, desktop is gray, XP Theme changed from Silver to Olive or Blue, Toolbars missing on Browser, etc...*

And all of that goes back to the way I had it with a restart, but it shouldn't do that... and why is it so forgiving that it's back the way it was with a simple restart?

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:57 PM
yerssot

I stick to my point still... untill raz says what's wrong

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 07:59 PM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Alrighty then. Thanks for the input, though. Hopefully someone knows what's exactly going on erm

*waits for Raz*

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 08:00 PM
Raz
Meister

Admin

It looks like your computer goes into standby after a few hours. Check the power section in the control panel.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 08:54 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

and if that's not it, in BIOS there is an option to I believe

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 08:56 PM