KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Help!

Help!
Started by: Ahnold

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Question Help!

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem that I've been having. I opened up one of my edexcel documents today, and discovered to my great annoyance that the text is now all gibberish {such as this: GIF89a€!D}. It's quite an important document, and I can't re-write it from scratch; is there any way to recover the original info? I just don't know why this has happened all of a sudden ...

Many thanks,

Ahnold

Ahnold Sez: (From "The Expendables 2"): "My *shoe* is bigger than this cahr!"

Old Post Aug 31st, 2004 04:12 PM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

try opening it in notebook maybe.
no other idea. sowwie

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Aug 31st, 2004 04:55 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

Help! i need sombody, HELP, not just anybody, help! wont you pleeease please help me?

Im Back happy

Old Post Aug 31st, 2004 06:05 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Any other suggestions?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 12:32 PM
Ahnold is currently offline Click here to Send Ahnold a Private Message Find more posts by Ahnold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

well, I saw this one you posted it yesterday and before being hasty and replying something I tried to find more out about it
Idea was to check if it can be Windows 95 compatible or not but I can't seem to find that option again messed

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 06:28 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

Why is this guy banned now?

Im Back happy

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 06:39 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paola
Ronin

format your hard disk!! big grin

by Scythe

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 06:46 PM
Paola is currently offline Click here to Send Paola a Private Message Find more posts by Paola Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Sauron
Why is this guy banned now?

he's not.
new trick aparently.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 07:06 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

quote:
Originally posted by Clovie
He's not.
new trick aparently.

Heh - guess nothing gets past you stick out tongue ! Cool trick though ...

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 07:17 PM
Clovie

it is very easy to check if someone is banned.
you can't pm banned person. erm

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 07:26 PM
The Inkeeper

Really though, how do you do that?

Im Back happy

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 07:37 PM
Ahnold
The Former Governator

I can't tell you, I've been banned stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 07:47 PM
Clovie

"i" is more pinkish..... messed

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 08:00 PM
Spearhead
Prophet

the i is...weird, that's why yes

it's like an "i" with a half space confused

I'm a signature!

Last edited by Spearhead on Sep 1st, 2004 at 10:25 PM

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 10:18 PM
Spearhead is currently offline Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Re: Help!

quote:
Originally posted by Ahnold
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem that I've been having. I opened up one of my edexcel documents today, and discovered to my great annoyance that the text is now all gibberish {such as this: GIF89a€!D}. It's quite an important document, and I can't re-write it from scratch; is there any way to recover the original info? I just don't know why this has happened all of a sudden ...

Many thanks,

Ahnold
Thats not an excel document but a GIF image. You'll notice it begins with the "GIF89a" - thats the header used by all GIF images. You can rename that with a gif extention and open it.

Did your computer crash lately? It looks like scan disk did a poor job at recovering your files.

Regarding your original data, I would suggest using Windows search feature to scan for a certain string that you know exists in the file your looking for. It may have been renamed to something else.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2004 10:23 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Trust me, raz - it's an excel document. Is it possible that it says GIF because of the graphs that were saved to that file?

And yes - my computer DID crash lately. In fact, I was kinda hoping for some help in that regard. According to the computer, I am now using a temporary account; is there any way I can change this?

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2004 03:01 PM
Ahnold
The Former Governator

According to excel, that file is "delimited". What on earth does that mean?

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2004 03:15 PM
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Problem over folks - I thankfully managed to restore the excel document to its former incarnation. Phew!

Can anyone help me with THIS problem though?

quote:
Originally posted by Ahnold
My computer crashed lately. In fact, I was kinda hoping for some help in that regard. According to the computer, I am now using a temporary account; is there any way I can change this?

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2004 04:05 PM
Raz
Meister

Admin

What do you mean by "temporary account"? Can you expand?

Also what OS are you using?

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2004 04:30 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ahnold
The Former Governator

Basically, my computer consists of four user accounts: one for me, and three others for the rest of my family. A while back, my account crashed for some reason, and the computer set up what it called a "temporary user account". Though I thankfully managed to recover all my documents, programs etc, I fear that this temporary account might not last indefinitly. I can tell it's still a temporary account since it says TEMP before the name of each document: E.g. TEMP/My Documents/KMC. What can I do to correct this?

What's OS blink ?

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2004 04:34 PM