KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Role-playing

Role-playing
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Role-playing

What's the deal with the role-play forum? Now parts of the GDF have very much become the place for playful interactive stuff, I think it could be a good time to re-start the role-play forum for something a little more serious.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 03:58 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Excellent! Someone has finally shown some interest!

We just need some more people who will participate and we'll get it going again.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 04:20 AM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Right, I've just seen the new post in the role-play forum... but I can't reply because my e-mail is totally screwed up right now, and until I can get over to bloody BT (confirmation in 7 days, yeah roght!) it will stay like that. So I'M interested, but I'll have to say so right here.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 04:20 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theEvilJedi

Then why didn't you two ever post when I ran it? mad

Obi-Wan Kenobi: (Looks up at his chains) "Good job!"

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 04:25 AM
theEvilJedi is currently offline Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Hey there, EJ! I was still pretty new around here when it was still running. I took a look a couple of times and the threads had gone a little... odd. I probably would have gone on anyway, but then came all the unpleasantness and it shut down.

Now the freaky side of things is well catered for in the GDF, so like I say, it seems a good time. I;ve got some stuff we could run through it, but ass it seems the COuncil is showing interest as well it would be unnecessary.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 04:31 AM
Raz
Meister

Admin

Welcome back EJ.

I'm not even sure how roleplaying works. Could someone post a quick lowdown on whats involved in roleplaying? What sort are rules are used?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 04:59 AM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Are we going to have a poper roleplaying forum, no silly tales, just real, serious role play?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 05:01 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

AH, I see.

Well, it depends how we are defining role-playing. At the basic level, it's simply character acting, exactly like we do in the GDF. The old role-playing forum (from what I saw) was interactive storytelling in the idea that someone continues someone elses story- not strictly role-playing, but perfectly valid, though it didn't always seem to be working out.

On a more advanced level, someone (presumably one of the Council) could host a story in which the other posters play the participants. This could be as complex or simple as you like- you can set how many people can be in, or have it as a complete free-for-all, whatever you like.

The most advnced level would be to completely transfer a tabletop role-play into on-line form, whicvh is actually nowhere near as daunting as it sounds, but it's not for everyone. In that case there would be definite rules, what the rules are depend on the host and the system used.

WEG do an official Star Wars role-play, which is reasonable enough (and certainly has extremely well-researched supplements), but the action movie simulator role-play Feng Shui is actually far better at getting the Star Wars feel, being a game entirely based around the idea that heroes takeon loads of unnamed charatcers in huge numbers (they call unnamed characters 'mooks', in Star Wars a mook would be a stormtrooper or battle droid).

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 05:07 AM
Ratcat

I like the idea of continuing posts that build a story, but character based rather than just pure story.

Character definition could be used???

What I could abide was the stupid, jokey lines of the old RP forum. Lits keep that in the GDF where it is enjoyed already and have serious roleplay in a role play forum with a mod who understands roleplay.

OK, so who knows about roleplay. I'm just an idea man...laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 05:25 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, I know a bit. Actually, I know a lot, but doing it on-line is unknown territory. It's all down to how far people want to take it.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 05:38 AM
theEvilJedi

My forum was just a continued story. I guess you can say it wasn't typical role-playing, but it still was something.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: (Looks up at his chains) "Good job!"

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 08:49 AM
theEvilJedi is currently offline Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

I gave him 2 weeks and I was right, back after just 5 days. laughing out loud I KNEW you wouldn't be able to stay away. wink

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 11:19 AM
Gundark
Mayhem

Actually, I preferred the serious role-playing to the silly, I only posted silly things when the thread got silly by someone else's hand. Now having the colorful reputation I have in GDF, I know some of you find this hard to believe, but I love writing different story lines for SW as I wished things might have happened. JediOasis and I had (what I felt, IMHO ) was a killer story going back and forth for awhile under a topic called "what if". I found it very exciting going back to it every day to see what JO had added and how the storyline twisted and turned. (He writes good stuff smile )We didn't play roles, we just used the SW characters and made up a new storyline as to what happened in the throne room in ROTJ...and beyond. I thought it was pretty cool. smokin'

Old Post Mar 8th, 2001 08:12 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh, I'm, sure it was great. Perhaps the two things- story-writing and role-playing- should be seperated.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 9th, 2001 12:16 AM
queeq
Chaos

Is EJ eating his own words again?

I did some role playing at TF.N once. People played out their characters and the character's stories mingled into one great story. The participants sometimes used the Private Message system to synchronise their stories in secret. It was great fun, but it went so fast and I was in the wrong time zone. Wheneve I returned 5 or 6 pages had passed. And no one was online when I was, so I decided to become one with the Force and disappear from the story.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2001 03:39 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

YEs, it wopuld need a strong organsiation. And the tighter the story, the fewer maximunm players it would be ableto cope with.

We have a lot to think about. We could have one forum of story writing, one of mass roleplaying and one of more specifuc stories

BtVS

Old Post Mar 9th, 2001 05:57 AM
Gundark
Mayhem

Hmmm....that sounds like a good idea, Ush. What does everybody else think ?

Old Post Mar 9th, 2001 07:28 AM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

Well, I don't think we're ready for various forums..but we could try working within one forum. I'd try it, but I don't know ANYTHING about serious roleplaying.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2001 08:31 AM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

SO basically, are we talking about basically queeqs bar but with a serious story and noe dream sequences. ???

Old Post Mar 9th, 2001 01:59 PM
Raz
Meister

Admin

I think we should start with the serious role-playing first, then later on, if theres interest, the storybased.

We just need someone who knows what they're doing and can get the forum going...

Old Post Mar 9th, 2001 05:21 PM