KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Reviews » MOVIE REVIEW- Memento

MOVIE REVIEW- Memento
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

MOVIE REVIEW- Memento

The release on this film was very odd. Despite being an A-Grade Hollywood film, it got a small British release before the US had even heard of it (during which I was lucky to see it), then a minute release in the US, despite enormous critical acclaim. I understand it may soon get a larger release in the US, and it will be out on video and DVD over here soon, so the review is somewhat relevant.

It stars the people who played Trinity and Cipher from the Matrix, and the main star is the guy who played Eckersley in LA Confidential.

The main story seems quite normal. The main charatcer, an insurance investigator, wakes up one evening to find he is being burgled. The burglers have already raped and killed his wife. He is badly injured in the struggle. The robbers get away, and in the aftermath, he swears to track them down and get revenge.

But it is nowhere near that simple. Because during the attack he suffered brain damange, which leaves him incpable of forming new memories. Everything that happned up to the assault he can remember fine- but everything AFTER thjat, he forgets after a few seconds.

His life SHOULD be impossible. But as part of hios job, he investigated a case like this before, so he knows how to try and deal with it. He tattoes on his body everything he has learnt so far. Every morning when he wakes up, with no memories from after the assault, he can read off of his body- and his copious noteds- EVERYTHING he has discovered so far.

He cannot remember the people he meets along the way- except with his mementos. He takes a polaroid of everyone imporant he meets, and notes on the back what he should think of them.

Meanwhile, he continues his investigation, barely aware of anything else, not knowing how long he has been doing it, explaining his problem to someone who has already heard it a dozen times before...

But it's not even THAT simple. You see, the film does not start at the beginning, but at the END! It STARTS with him killing the man who did it! Then the film goes bBACKWARDS from there. You see, because he has no memoires, what has happened up to the point before his revenge is as much a mystery to him as it is to us, as the viewers.

The very start is LITERALLY backwards, as it winds back from him oputting the bullet into the guy;s brain. After that, each scene is the one BEOFRE the on you just sawm, and shows how he reached that point. The scenes co-incide with every thime his memory resets, and he forgets everything that just happebned. SLowly, you see what led him to that point- and begin to uncover what is heavilty hinted at at the start of the film- that somehwere along the way, he has made a terrible mistake...

The film is stunning in just about every way, and the acting is phenomenal. But to give away more of it is like giving away aprt of The Usual Suspects or the Sixth Sense.

It is THAT good, I assure you, and with a VERY memorable last line... if you get the chance to see it, do it!

A definite five-star movie.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 25th, 2001 08:10 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Can't find any cinemas that are showing it. Whens it coming out on Video/DVD?

Old Post Apr 26th, 2001 02:06 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No, it's all done in the UK... actually, it was showing in London last month...

Anyhow, should be out any day now on DVD.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 27th, 2001 12:07 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

SO, Video or DVD it is then. Will probably make it to Sky MovieMax too I guess.

Old Post May 7th, 2001 07:17 PM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zed

Just saw 'Memento' last night on DVD, and have to say what a brilliant movie. It has got to be one of the most original movies I have seen in a long time.

I would have to agree with Ushgarak it is definetly a must see movie. 8.0/10

Old Post May 9th, 2001 02:55 PM
Zed is currently offline Click here to Send Zed a Private Message Find more posts by Zed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Cheers, Zed. See, everybody? Check it out!

I assume you now see what I mean, Zed, when I said it was a BAD idea to give away the plot...

BtVS

Old Post May 9th, 2001 11:49 PM
Zed

Now that we have given enough time for the rest of the people to watch it, it time to discuss the movie.

There are many questions to be asked after watching this movie, the first and one of the most significant is that does the main guy actually have the syndrome or is it all in his head??

Also if you have any comments on 'Memento', they can now be asked.

Old Post May 15th, 2001 06:55 PM
Zed is currently offline Click here to Send Zed a Private Message Find more posts by Zed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Apparently this is now up for an extended re-release in UK cinemas, so I heard the other day... Anyone else come across this?

Old Post May 19th, 2001 02:02 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I haven't heard... but if it is true then we'd better lay off plot speculation. It would also be incredibly good news.

BtVS

Old Post May 19th, 2001 02:15 AM
Ratcat

I downloaded the trailer today, haven't watched it yet.

Old Post May 19th, 2001 02:43 AM
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

The movie Memento was certainly a good idea, and was a very perplexing tale; but the film could have been better. If there has ever been a movie you want to watch twice, here it is.

A couple of things really bothered me about this movie, though. If he has no short term memory, then why did he know that he needed to look at his labeled photographs?

And for someone with no recolection of what's going on, his character was unbeleivable in his cockness and sly attitude. You think he would be more sympathetic to his surroundings, and more questionable. He wouldn't accept that he has met everyone and knows what's happening, just because it's written down.

Despite the TERRIBLE characters, the idea is good, and it is fun to watch. This movie will no doubt be a cult classic for many people. For me, though, I'm moving on.

(** out of four)

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Dec 14th, 2001 05:54 AM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

i agree whoe heartedly with tommaco, great idea, wrong presentation.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2001 05:58 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

wow, Backfire! We agree AGAIN!!!! Scary eek! big grin

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Dec 14th, 2001 06:02 AM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

yeah i know, im scared too.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2001 07:40 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Machine
Open Your Eyes

oh noo .... i agree with both you im going to sleep in my mommies room tonight

Old Post Dec 14th, 2001 08:50 AM
Machine is currently offline Click here to Send Machine a Private Message Find more posts by Machine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

kobe go on aim.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2001 08:51 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

To answer your points, To- and remember, this is a real-lifer condition, and the book was based on research:

As the movie explains, you can still condition yourself to learn things even with no short-term memory, as it is a completely different part of the brain. Leonard has conditioned himself to look for a photograph EVERY time he meets someone who he talks to.

Likewise, as was also clearly explained, the ONLY way he can live is to 'trust his handwriting' NOTHING else matters to him, at all. As he explains, when he has the facts, EVERYTHING else is irrrelevant.

The weakness of his system, plus the idea that Leonard is rather mental, is clearly shown in the film.

Well, it was the most critically acclaimed film of 2000, which made me happy enough. It is definitely one of my absolue favourites.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 14th, 2001 06:07 PM
BackFire

requiem for a dream was better in 2000

Old Post Dec 15th, 2001 07:16 AM
Machine
Open Your Eyes

backfire is right best film in 2000 is requirm for a a dream not momento

Old Post Dec 15th, 2001 07:37 AM
Machine is currently offline Click here to Send Machine a Private Message Find more posts by Machine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

Ush, I agree, and even accept that this condition actually exsists. But his COMPLETELY COCKY attitude was unbeleivable. It was a horribly acted film.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Dec 18th, 2001 06:49 AM