KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Golden Globes

Golden Globes
Started by: ToMacco

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

Golden Globes

A Beautiful Mind won Best Picture tonight. Crowe took home Best Actor smile

Lord of the Rings left with nothing.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Jan 21st, 2002 04:48 AM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

so a beautiful mind will be this years gladiator, how interesting

Old Post Jan 21st, 2002 05:53 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

Gladiator sucked ass.

I'm just pointing out the fact that I called that A Beautiful Mind was the best movie of the year. I'm so smart.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Jan 21st, 2002 09:37 AM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Machine
Open Your Eyes

that doesnt prove your smart .it just goes to show you how predictable award shows are now of days.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2002 10:01 AM
Machine is currently offline Click here to Send Machine a Private Message Find more posts by Machine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

i just said that because...well... i meant that it will be this years over rated movie starring russel crowe.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2002 07:03 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

No movie I've seen this year deserves to win best picture. But I have yet to see Monsters Ball and Black Hawk Down. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ps. award shows are bullshit roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jan 21st, 2002 09:19 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Padawan_Learner
The Learner who is Master

Here is part of the list of nominees with winners in bold, and my picks with an asterix

BEST MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA:
A Beautiful Mind*
In the Bedroom
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Man Who Wasn't There
Mulholland Drive

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA:
Halle Berry (Monster's Ball)
Judi Dench (Iris)
Nicole Kidman (The Others)*
Sissy Spacek (In the Bedroom)
Tilda Swinton (The Deep End)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE - DRAMA:
Russell Crowe (A Beautiful Mind)*
Will Smith (Ali)
Kevin Spacey (The Shipping News)
Billy Bob Thornton (The Man Who Wasn't There)
Denzel Washington (Training Day)

BEST MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL OR COMEDY:
Bridget Jones's Diary
Gosford Park
Legally Blonde
Moulin Rouge*
Shrek

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL OR COMEDY:
Thora Birch (Ghost World)
Cate Blanchett (Bandits)
Nicole Kidman (Moulin Rouge)*
Reese Witherspoon (Legally Blonde)
Renée Zellweger (Bridget Jones's Diary)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL OR COMEDY:
Gene Hackman (The Royal Tenenbaums)
Hugh Jackman (Kate & Leopold)
Ewan McGregor (Moulin Rouge)*
John Cameron Mitchell (Hedwig and the Angry Inch)
Billy Bob Thornton (Bandits)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE:
Jim Broadbent (Iris)
Steve Buscemi (Ghost World)
Hayden Christensen (Life as a House)*
Ben Kingsley (Sexy Beast)
Jude Law (A.I. Artificial Intelligence)
Jon Voight (Ali)

BEST DIRECTOR - MOTION PICTURE:
Robert Altman (Gosford Park)
Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind)
Peter Jackson (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring)
Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge)*
David Lynch (Mulholland Drive)
Steven Spielberg (A.I. Artificial Intelligence)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE - MOTION PICTURE:
Craig Armstrong (Moulin Rouge)*
Angelo Badalamenti (Mulholland Drive)
Lisa Gerrard & Pieter Bourke (Ali)
James Horner (A Beautiful Mind)
Howard Shore (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring)
John Williams (A.I. Artificial Intelligence)
Christopher Young (The Shipping News)
Hans Zimmer (Pearl Harbor)

BEST ORIGINAL SONG - MOTION PICTURE:
"Come What May" (Moulin Rouge)*
"May It Be" (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring)
"There You'll Be" (Pearl Harbor)
"Until..." (Kate & Leopold)
"Vanilla Sky" (Vanilla Sky)

Complete list is here

I honestly thought that Ewan McGregor would win, he gave a spectacular performance in Moulin Rouge, but Hackman (who wasn't even there!) won the award. I was also shocked to see that Lord of the Rings walked away without a single award.

It wasn't as disapointing last year, when Julia Roberts won best actress. She didn't deserve that. All she did was flash some boobs, while Bjork (for dancer in the dark) or Ellen Burnstyn (for Requiem for a Dream) deserved it.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2002 09:37 PM
Padawan_Learner is currently offline Click here to Send Padawan_Learner a Private Message Find more posts by Padawan_Learner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

ellen burstyn gave last years best performance...simple fact of life.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2002 08:32 AM
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

the moulin rouge soundtrack should not have won that award, that's for sure.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2002 01:18 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Boy
Kevski

As a film, I hated Moulin Rouge- it was so depressing. However, as a musician (and a film critic) the score was fantastic. It was extremely creative and coming from a great composer to. Have you heard the Plunkett and Macleane score?

The best score won but if anything else should have one, it should have been Pearl Harbor by Hans Zimmer. It was a beautiful score which sends shivers down your spine.

However, the greatest score (and most underrated) of all time has to be Armageddon by Trevor Rabin- pure class!

Why does John Williams always have to recieve a nomination? Even when he does a bad score he seems to be nominated!

www.myspace.com/throughsolace
Through Solace- The Stand out in March 08 on Holdfast Records

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2002 02:40 PM
Bad Boy is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

I couldn't mean that Beautiful Mind won best screenplay.. I mean come on, that guy wrote Batman and Robin...

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2002 02:51 PM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

I'm not suprised that LOTR didn't win. There's bound to be a backlash against all the sci-fi/fantasy films like FOTR, Harry Potter, Shrek and A.I that were released last year.

The critics and writers have to be seen to be different.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2002 04:54 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

BadBoy:
I have to say, neither the Pearl Harbor nor the Armageddon soundtrack had any appeal to me. And I can't see your problem with John Williams.

For some users it might not come as a surprise that I would've wanted Howard Shore - LOTR soundtrack to win, but I do think he did an superb job, and the soundtrack has gotten positive reviews everywhere I've seen.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2002 04:59 PM
mah is currently offline Click here to Send mah a Private Message Find more posts by mah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

I'm not having a go at LOTR but I honestly can't remember the soundtrack to the film. confused

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2002 05:02 PM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mah
J-type 327 Nubian

ok we get the point, you despise everything LOTR.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2002 07:51 PM
FLIPMODE

LOTR was pure crap as a Film, they better get their act together, I knew it was'nt going to win anything.

There was'nt an award for, faithfull transition from book to movie. Other than that, LOTR, deserves nothing. And yes the Score was Crap too.

John Williams? Why? Because this guy makes an Honest effort to make every movie sound different, Yes the music within A.I. stands way out, compared to LOTR. I hated A.I. to a degree, but at least I noticed something different being done as far as scores go.

Oh yeah, Pearl Harbor Score Sucked as well, AND the song made for the Movie was Corny too. What is this, Lets Copy the "Titanic" Feel to every movie that's made, which IS essentially a SPECIAL EFFECT movie, but is Trying desperatly to attract accolades for being a TRUE Drama, with REAL MEANING, and EMOTION? Pure Crap. Even Titanic is the Biggest FAKE in history, but, Critics wont Let Crap Like that happen again.

Pearl Harbor, Amageddon,..not Drama award Contenders. Not on any level, and the Pearl Harbor Score Sucked. Amageddon...yes it had a better Score, ...But come on, Lets get real.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2002 02:04 AM
FLIPMODE is currently offline Click here to Send FLIPMODE a Private Message Find more posts by FLIPMODE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Sissy Spacek deserved the Globe, so did Crowe. A Beautiful Mind did not. I hope it's not another bullshit year like last year with Gladiator! What a joke!! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2002 03:38 AM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

Everyone needs to remember, the Golden Globes don't mean anything. (The Oscars really don't either, I guess). But the big show IS the Oscars.

Texas: I don't know why you see "A Beautiful Mind" as a bullshit movie. Just because Russell Crowe is in it? I hope not, because that has nothing to do with anything. "Gladiator" obviously should not have won last year, I don't think too many people would argue with that. Let me ask you this; what is better this year than aBM? I don't think its an EXCELENT movie, but its pretty damn close. It's better than anything else I've seen this year.

FLIPMODE, Titanic was not the biggest fake in history.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2002 04:49 AM
Kiwi Leia

Southern Hemisphere Rules!!!!

Nicole Kidman wins an award and shes an Aussie, Russell Crowe wins an award and hes a Kiwi....and the Lord of the RIngs done with kiwis and in NZ will win something at the Oscars..............

And whats happening up in the northern Hemisphere hmmmmmm
Yea thats right your putting us down....ok....

I mean its tough enough to get a chance to become stars in America for people from down here, and yet we are getting all the way to the top...........

Russell Crowe RULZ!!!!!

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2002 05:19 AM
Kiwi Leia is currently offline Click here to Send Kiwi Leia a Private Message Find more posts by Kiwi Leia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Boy
Kevski

Why is it only the arty films that get awards. Surely is a popcorn film is amazing it derserves awards.

Armageddon score was amazing!

www.myspace.com/throughsolace
Through Solace- The Stand out in March 08 on Holdfast Records

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2002 12:24 PM
Bad Boy is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote