KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi

The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi
Started by: WindDancer

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi

For those of you who saw and enjoyed Kill Bill, and The Last Samurai you may want to check this movie out! Zatoichi is the longest-running, most successful series in Japanese film history featured an unlikely hero. The blind masseur and gambler, Zatoichi, was expertly portrayed by character actor Shintaro Katsu for well over a decade. This film made by Takeshi Kitaro brings back to life the infamous Zatoichi back to the screen.

Check out the trailer:

http://www.miramax.com/zatoichi/

Old Post May 3rd, 2004 11:33 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nopy

This is a very good film. Excellent swordplay and charecter development. A must for fans of Samurai films.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2004 07:28 PM
nopy is currently offline Click here to Send nopy a Private Message Find more posts by nopy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jeffer_wrote
my preciousssssssss

I'd pick this film over Kill Bill anytime.

Thanks to the anime/manga Rurouni Kenshin, I had nursed a fascination for swordsmen of Japan. When I watched Kill Bill, it was alright, but that was not really a samurai film, was it? So was The Last Samurai...

Now Zatoichi is a very good film, focusing on a wandering, and blind, and aged swordsman who is also a masseuse. Nice comic moments, very good character development, as Nopy pointed out...

and the swordplays defined what a Samurai film should be...

i give this a 4.5 out of 5...

Old Post Jun 18th, 2004 07:00 AM
jeffer_wrote is currently offline Click here to Send jeffer_wrote a Private Message Find more posts by jeffer_wrote Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I haven't finished completing my collection of the old Zatoichi series. He is kinda like the James Bond of Japan. Among one the classics in the series is Zatoichi vs. Yojimbo. Is unfortunate that Shintaro Katzu died years ago. I'm pretty sure he would love to have seen the character he portrayed continue in the big screen.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2004 02:59 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jeffer_wrote
my preciousssssssss

I haven't seen Katzu's yet...but i think Beeat Takeshi did an excellent job.

Old Post Jun 21st, 2004 02:59 AM
jeffer_wrote is currently offline Click here to Send jeffer_wrote a Private Message Find more posts by jeffer_wrote Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Katzu is very good! I defenetly recommend his early work on Zatoichi! thumb up

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2004 11:45 PM
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Zatoichi rules! I just watched tonight on a projected screen about 10 feet by 6. It ruled.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2004 09:41 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
radioboy121

Unlike Kill Bill and many other fighting flicks, Zatoichi doesn't fool around. I cannot remember many (or if any) combatant to last more than a few seconds against him.

He was hindered from the banging of the gongs at most in one of the movies I've seen, but he still got through it.

Last edited by radioboy121 on Nov 18th, 2004 at 06:01 PM

Old Post Nov 18th, 2004 05:58 PM
radioboy121 is currently offline Click here to Send radioboy121 a Private Message Find more posts by radioboy121 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Glad you liked it Myth!

Zatoichi rules! rock

Old Post Nov 18th, 2004 06:54 PM
Shaolin Monk
Tech Junkie

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
Zatoichi rules! rock

I concur...After watching Battle Royale, I thought Takeshi Kitano would do well as Zatoichi

<`Syntax> iListen to pink floyd: wall.modify(numBricks++);

Old Post Nov 18th, 2004 08:33 PM
Shaolin Monk is currently offline Click here to Send Shaolin Monk a Private Message Find more posts by Shaolin Monk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Kitano was indeed a good replacement for Shintarô Katsu. For me Katsu will always be Zatoichi. Man, a pity he died without seen it the new Zatoichi. sad

Old Post Nov 18th, 2004 11:06 PM