KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Any Other Interpretation?

Any Other Interpretation?
Started by: DowzDynasty

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DowzDynasty

Any Other Interpretation?

My interpretation is:
Society may be responsible for the narrator's sickness (Ed Norton). Violence is certainly an outlet for Tyler and the narrator...it looks like its just a pretext to me, their own way of combatting their source of agression, ie society.
What pisses me off the most is that people see FC as a violent movie, but its really not about that at all. People just see the guys from an underground group beating the shi*t out of each other because they're upset, but hey, they don't just grab one guy on the street out of anger towards him; rather its a reciprocal fight in which they BOTH receive pain willingly ...did you think about it that way?
There's instead a very deeply burried anti-violence message, sadly neglected by the media and the fundamentalist groups. That movie is my fave b/c it has a deep content to it, a profound philosophical meaning. It basically says "dont be a follower, don't let people make you do what they want you to do, think for yourself, make your own mind, and above all -KNOW YOURSELF".

Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The Queen is their slave.

The soap -lasting image of the movie -see the poster- which they make with mainly human fat, and which they sell is a hilariously morbid way of displaying a consumerist disregard. Soap cleans, and being convinced by the ideas presented in the movie is a kind of moral cleansing, albeit very a controversial one.
The stirring scene of Tyler in the back of the convenience store, threatening the chinese guy and telling him that he will be watching him and that he'll die unless he is on his way to being what he originally wanted to be (a vet) is not about an actual "human sacrifice". It is more of a metaphor for the whole movie, whose point is to change people's lives: "tomorrow, his breakfast will taste better than any meal you and I have ever tasted".
The meaningless lies of corporate materialism metaphorically end up collapsing after the undergroud group blows up the major credit card companies. Obviously, the film is also a bitter cirticism of the consumerist society (see above), the american dream crap they rub in our faces all the time, as Tyler says, "the things you own end up owing you, and its only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything". "Self Improvement is masturbation, Self Destruction is the answer".
I feel a little guilty for being so addicted to that movie, though, I must admit, watching it repeatdly and don't think the philosophical meaning is not an excuse for filling my mind with 2 hours of that stuff, but I can get over that and think only of the implications of the true content. To me that movie undoubtedly remains the best one ever made .

Id like to have your opinion and know if you would like to add someting to that...thanks

Old Post May 6th, 2004 06:24 PM
DowzDynasty is currently offline Click here to Send DowzDynasty a Private Message Find more posts by DowzDynasty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

this is about fight club??

moving

Old Post May 7th, 2004 04:14 PM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote