KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Quentin Holywoodizes Cannes

Quentin Holywoodizes Cannes
Started by: sarahvma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
sarahvma

Quentin Holywoodizes Cannes

Opened my newspaper to find a pic of Quentin hiding half his face behind a black-and-white scene referance cue, dressed all in black with the headline reading: CAN QUENTIN GIVE CANNES A JOLT?

Seems Mr. Tarantino, a winner of the Palme d'or himself for Pulp Fiction, has decided that the decidedly unhip film festival needed a revival by adding some unrefined audience favorites to the bill. He's also this year's president on the Cannes jury, where I do believe his own film is being shown. Movies like Dawn of the Dead, The Ladykillers, Shrek 2 and other un-artsy movies are getting their time at the same theaters where Reservoir Dogs had its first showing fourteen years ago.

Hey, at least it's cool that he got named president, but somehow going to Cannes to watch Shrek 2 doesn't sound as appealing...

Old Post May 12th, 2004 10:31 PM
sarahvma is currently offline Click here to Send sarahvma a Private Message Find more posts by sarahvma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SenshiNaka
Warrior Inside

I guess we see art as something different than an average "hollywood" film, but the first Shrek was funny. And i think that if you spent a lot of time on a movie people may depict as un-artsy you wouldnt listen, art is very different to different people.

"And I'm very sad about that. But some fellas are lucky, and some ain't." -Mr. Pink (Reservoir Dogs)

Old Post May 13th, 2004 01:36 AM
SenshiNaka is currently offline Click here to Send SenshiNaka a Private Message Find more posts by SenshiNaka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sarahvma

Oh, I've never been a fan of art films, and technically it was Quentin who kind of brought super pop culture to Cannes anyway... I'm just echoing the article. I'd rather see Shrek 2 than some Italian film about a young boy's first sexual experience with an older woman... wait, that's ALL Italian films...

They're saying that a third of the competitors are east-asian flicks, but insist is has nothing to do with Mr. Tarantino's tastes... lol

Old Post May 13th, 2004 02:10 AM
sarahvma is currently offline Click here to Send sarahvma a Private Message Find more posts by sarahvma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote