KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Manchurian Candidate remake: thoughts?

Manchurian Candidate remake: thoughts?
Started by: caballera

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
caballera

Manchurian Candidate remake: thoughts?

I'm very curious to see how this turns out! There's a trailer under "entertainment" on budweiser.com/1 . Whatcha think?

Old Post May 18th, 2004 09:08 AM
caballera is currently offline Click here to Send caballera a Private Message Find more posts by caballera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I doubt anyone here is old enough to remember the original, or cares about a remake. Including me.

Old Post May 18th, 2004 03:58 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
caballera

Well, the original is really very good. I don't know about the remake however.

Old Post May 25th, 2004 07:08 AM
caballera is currently offline Click here to Send caballera a Private Message Find more posts by caballera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vagaryatwill

Never saw the original and probably never will. I have enjoyed the trailer for the new one. I think Denzel normally does a pretty good job. I'll most likely see it.

Old Post May 27th, 2004 02:51 PM
vagaryatwill is currently offline Click here to Send vagaryatwill a Private Message Find more posts by vagaryatwill Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
caballera

Yeah, Denzel's a great actor. Unfortunately, he hasn't picked the greatest movies lately. I'm hoping this one will be different.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 03:54 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Actually, I take that back. I am interested in the remake after seeing the trailer.

BTW, what bad roles has Denzel taken on as of late, other than in "Out of Time"? I think "Judgment Day" was a nice twist, and "Man on Fire" was fantastic, still doign well in the box office at $75 M plus.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 04:00 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
caballera

I guess I was mainly talking about Out of Time (it was pretty terrible), though i didn't like Training Day either nor Antwone Fisher that much. I thought AF was average. I never saw Man on Fire b/c i thought it looked really bad and the posters annoyed me (yeah, the posters are good reason not to see the movie). But so in the end, OUT OF TIME SUCKS!

Old Post Jun 1st, 2004 04:16 AM
Holcomb

bump! I finally saw the trailer. This looks like a fun summer movie, I'm looking forward to it.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 04:39 PM
Holcomb is currently offline Click here to Send Holcomb a Private Message Find more posts by Holcomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

I want to see it. Denzel is awesome. I loved both Training Day and Man on Fire.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 04:58 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Actually, I take that back. I am interested in the remake after seeing the trailer.

BTW, what bad roles has Denzel taken on as of late, other than in "Out of Time"? I think "Judgment Day" was a nice twist, and "Man on Fire" was fantastic, still doign well in the box office at $75 M plus.

yea out of time is it.. other then that hes been doing very well

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 07:12 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

My thoughts are, frankly, baaaaaaaaaaaaadness.

What possible purpose is served by a remake? There is actually no way in which the story needs updating. By putting it into a modern setting you can only worsen the point of the darn thing.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 13th, 2004 09:22 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
scabby mcgee
Ambassador of Awesomeness

yea I was really confused when I heard they were doing a big hollywood remake of this classic. I'm not really behind the idea but the trailers so far seem to look like they haven't destroyed the story. And to be honest, the original was great but still seemed to lack some what in certain areas. So in short, there have been worse ideas.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 06:33 AM
scabby mcgee is currently offline Click here to Send scabby mcgee a Private Message Find more posts by scabby mcgee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

The Ladykillers was a good remake. Haven't seen the original so I don't know how it compares but it was good. Maybe the same with Manchurian, plus there could be extra spins on it like how there was an extra spin on the Stepford Wives remake.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 06:54 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I've not seen the new Ladykillers but I would be staggered if it is as good.

But at least it is not culturally out of place like a new Manchurian Candidate would be. Ladykillers is rather timeless.

The original depended on the paranoia of the McCarthy era (or just after anyway)- it was banned in the US for about two decades! It is rooted entirely in Communist conspiracy, and before you ask, no, the War against Terrorism is no substitute.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 01:57 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Like I said, I haven't seen the old Ladykillers but the new one is really funny. Btw: I would have to guess that it is culturally out of place. You have to remember, a Wayans brother is in it.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 05:21 PM
edwinian
Heavy Metal

I am actually very excited to see this. I have yet to see the first one and will be renting it before I go and see the second.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 05:34 PM
edwinian is currently offline Click here to Send edwinian a Private Message Find more posts by edwinian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

The new version looks pretty interesting, I probably see it.

I havent seen the old version of Manchurian Candidate but ive heard that the old version is great and its out on DVD at a pretty cheap price so I will probably pick it up.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 07:46 PM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloomBabyGirl
Bond....James Bond

i wanna see it too and i think denzel washington shuold make it good. the dont have the old manchurian cndidate at my blockbuster tho

bitches bow down

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 01:30 PM
BloomBabyGirl is currently offline Click here to Send BloomBabyGirl a Private Message Find more posts by BloomBabyGirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, I highly recommend the original to anyone.

BtVS

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 10:23 PM
Holcomb

I might check out the original before seeing the new one, but regardless of how you feel about remakes this looks like a good thriller.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2004 02:03 PM
Holcomb is currently offline Click here to Send Holcomb a Private Message Find more posts by Holcomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote