KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane
Started by: Solo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Solo

Citizen Kane

There are various other topics that mention Citizen Kane but aren't about Citizen Kane. I found this movie amazing for that period of time. I'd easily give it a *****/***** (5/5). What do you all think of it? I loved it.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 02:25 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Bored me to sleep, literally, like most movies made before 1970.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2004 03:04 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amlap
this guy

black/white movies tend to bore the nerves, but citizen kane is a very stong story if you know a little bit more of the true behind the film. i loved the movie and i found that the movie is by far one of the greatest films ever made. like it is said "its the first of its kind."

NUFF SAID!

Old Post Jun 8th, 2004 04:08 AM
amlap is currently offline Click here to Send amlap a Private Message Find more posts by amlap Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Waggy the Dog

yeah, i bought it under the pretense of it being "the greatest film ever made", and you know what?! it isn't it!
the cinematography/direction was great, that was it.
i'm slowly paying more and more attention and am being more entertained my Ebert's commentary than the film.

film without ebert commentary 2/10
film with ebert commentary 7/10

Old Post Jun 8th, 2004 11:58 PM
Waggy the Dog is currently offline Click here to Send Waggy the Dog a Private Message Find more posts by Waggy the Dog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The technical aspect of the film is unarguably great. Compared to other films of its time it's a visual wonder. However, I think it's vastly over rated. I found it boring, predictable and tiresome. For it's time it was great, now, it is just another old, boring flick.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2004 12:10 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

A Big Fish 5/5

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Jun 9th, 2004 12:14 AM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
whiteknight

It's a masterpiece of a film. To think that Welles was only 25 when he made it and that he invented new aspects of filmamking while breaking old ones to create a work of art.

The film's impact on the films that preceded it (including modern films) is second to none. The non-liner story, the low angles, the deep focus photography, are all techniques that are still used in todays films

Definatly 5/5

Old Post Jun 9th, 2004 12:49 AM
whiteknight is currently offline Click here to Send whiteknight a Private Message Find more posts by whiteknight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Citizen Kane is an amazing film, because of all of new film making techniques at that time. Ive always found the performance of Welles as Kane as almost Welles playing himself, because when you look at both their lives there were very similar.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Old Post Jun 10th, 2004 06:58 PM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

me and my parents watched it a couple weekends ago, and none of us could figure out why it was called the greatest movie ever, it was a good movie, but there are lots of movies i can say that were just as good as it...could someone explain why this is called the greatest film of all time?

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 03:02 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zerosparx

It's a classic, many people find either they love it or hate it, I love it. The ending was priceless though and really when you look back on the movie, you realized that Kane was a very sad person. I think the word "Rosebud" was the only thing that really made him happy in his life and supports the idea that money doesnt buy happiness. 5/5

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 07:41 PM
Zerosparx is currently offline Click here to Send Zerosparx a Private Message Find more posts by Zerosparx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Still a snoozefest, IMO. I tried to watch "Touch of Evil" the other day, and felt the exact same way. There were absolutely no redeeming qualities in the film, other than Janet Leigh.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 09:05 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

quote:
Originally posted by Zerosparx
It's a classic, many people find either they love it or hate it, I love it. The ending was priceless though and really when you look back on the movie, you realized that Kane was a very sad person. I think the word "Rosebud" was the only thing that really made him happy in his life and supports the idea that money doesnt buy happiness. 5/5

yes, it was priceless in a sence because the only thing he couldnt buy was his childhood ect ect. but i have to agree with cinema, because i almost fell asleep towards the middle of it

Old Post Aug 5th, 2004 11:59 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I tried to watch "Touch of Evil" the other day, and felt the exact same way. There were absolutely no redeeming qualities in the film, other than Janet Leigh.

Oh for the love of poop! Have you no shame? Even if you can't stand "old" movies and only like to see films with all the pretty colours in them... Touch of Evil is like a masterclass in direction.

No redeeming qualities ? The OPENING scene is perhaps the most magnificent tracking shot in cinema history. The structure of that shot has more thought in it than the entirety of I ROBOT. It virtually invented the concept of camera movement as narrative.

Sheesh.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 12:38 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by whiteknight
The non-liner story, the low angles, the deep focus photography,

Have you seen that photo from on-set with Welles standing in a hole in the ground (down to his waist) that he had drilled down into the concrete so he could get his camera lower - for just one shot.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 12:41 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zerosparx

Dang didnt know that. I agree with the Touch of Evil opening and I, Robot. I think in order to appreciate new films you must gain an understanding of the classics. Though Citizen Kane is only one film there are many great classics...Vertigo, Rear Window, Guys and Dolls (Great musical), Singin' in the Rain (My favorite musical), On the Waterfront. These are all great classics that Moo Cow and Cinema might want to try, although I heavliy recommend the musicals.

Last edited by Zerosparx on Aug 8th, 2004 at 02:11 AM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 02:07 AM
Zerosparx is currently offline Click here to Send Zerosparx a Private Message Find more posts by Zerosparx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Zerosparx
Singin' in the Rain (My favorite musical)

Donald O'Connor singing and pratfalling his way through Make em laugh is a high point of Cinema.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 02:22 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Well, I don't like musicals, and I can't appreciate the "classics", so I'll respectfully decline.

Zero, "Touch of Evil" and it's opening were money, granted, but the rest of the movie was intolerable, IMO. Heston was about a believable Mexican as Christina Aguilera. The plot was a jumbled mess that should have made for a 30 minute long feature, given the ending was apparent for miles.

Honestly? No amount of innovative sweeps, sharp framing, or visual narrative can make up for a lack of story, poor dialogue, and even less than enthusiastic acting.

Just my take.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2004 02:36 AM
Zerosparx

Mr. Zero, I so completey agree. I hated musicals too until I saw "Singin in the Rain" but thats just me

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 10:32 PM
roundisfunny

"It's a sled...it's the name of the sled he had when he was a kid. There. I just saved you two long, boobless hours."

--Peter Griffin

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 11:33 PM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
scabby mcgee
Ambassador of Awesomeness

It is amazing. It was a rebel film too. I mean the entire movie was a slap in the face to the most powerful man in the country. William Randolph Hearst was like Rupert Murdock X 10.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2004 05:53 AM
scabby mcgee is currently offline Click here to Send scabby mcgee a Private Message Find more posts by scabby mcgee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote