KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Dogs Review

Dogs Review
Started by: sarahvma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
sarahvma

Dogs Review

Okay, I recently signed up to be a part of this district-wide youth newspaper, and since I love film (duh) I pitched this concept to them:

You're in a videostore, you've seen all the movies you've heard of, and all the new releases you either didn't like in the theaters or just don't have the money for. You don't have money to go to the movies, or there's just nothing good out. You want to see an old, good movie, but all those old, good movies are over-rated. What do you rent? Well, I said, we have new release reviews, we have in-theater reviews, why don't we have a "Return to the classics" section? So, I said, we might as well tie them in with recent movies (and, cunningly dropped Kill Bill 2 as a reference point) and said, "Why not do a movie like Reservoir Dogs? 2 is in the theaters, 1 is on the shelves, and everybody's heard of or seen Fiction, but how many people know about Dogs?"

So, naturally, me being the genuis that I am - they loved it. Here's what I wrote - I don't know yet if they're gonna use it. Tell me what you guys think.

Reservoir Dogs - By Sarah
Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs tells the unseen tale of all crime films:
The aftermath.

With Kill Bill Volume 1 fresh on the shelves, and its second half still in the theaters, Generation X/Y’s first real directorial god is getting a huge resurge in his old popularity. While Pulp Fiction made him a household name, it was a lesser-seen, critically acclaimed film Reservoir Dogs that put Tarantino on the map with the Hollywood giants.

It’s the story of six crooks assembled to pull off the perfect crime, which goes disastrously wrong. Told in Tarantino’s trademark out-of-sequence style we get the tale slowly unfurled to us through a series of scenes which attempt to explain, while never actually showing, the heist itself.
Only four of the original group of six manages to make it back to the meeting point, awaiting the arrival of their boss and his son. It doesn’t take the Dogs long to realize that the only possible explanation for the outcome of the job is that one of their number is working for the cops, but with half their number missing, process of elimination isn’t an option.

This film is like the Breakfast Club with heavy artillery. It’s long on dialogue, but rewards adrenaline-junkies with enough violent and bloody encounters to balance. The film opens with Quentin himself giving us a long, detailed, and perverted analysis of a Madonna song. Always entertaining, and never talented, Tarantino the Actor has little screen time, but just enough to convince the general movie going public that his place is behind the camera. The film belongs to three of the four main characters: Mr. Blonde (Madsen), Mr. White (Keitel) and Mr. Pink (Buscemi) who deliver performances that are individually disturbing, intriguing and hilarious. The movie includes some really memorable scenes; including the Great Tipping Debate, (a monologue by Buscemi) and the single most charming torture scene in the history of cinema, (care of Madsen - who gets all the best lines in the movie). This is one flick you must see twice to love, when the humor (its real highlight) can take center-stage.

This film is more quotable than the Princess Bride, hugely re-watchable, and boasts one of the best soundtracks in a long while. Don’t expect the super-style of Kill Bill or the stop-and-go action of Pulp Fiction, but this is one classic that’s definitely worth your while.

GRADE: 5 Stars
SECTION: Drama (Blockbuster) Action (Rogers)
RATING: R (Blockbuster) 18A (Rogers)

Last edited by Impediment on Apr 25th, 2009 at 03:16 PM

Old Post Jun 5th, 2004 06:49 PM
sarahvma is currently offline Click here to Send sarahvma a Private Message Find more posts by sarahvma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
furryman
honky

eek! Great!

Last edited by furryman on Jun 6th, 2004 at 12:43 AM

Old Post Jun 6th, 2004 12:40 AM
furryman is currently offline Click here to Send furryman a Private Message Find more posts by furryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sarahvma

Old Post Jun 10th, 2004 04:31 AM
sarahvma is currently offline Click here to Send sarahvma a Private Message Find more posts by sarahvma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote