KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » books vs movies

books vs movies
Started by: scabby mcgee

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
scabby mcgee
Ambassador of Awesomeness

books vs movies

So I often get tired of really good books being made into movies, rarely do the movies do justice to the books. Case in point "Battlefield Earth", great book, terrible movie. It seems that when reading a book we all get to make up what these worlds people and feelings are like in our own minds based off of what the author tells us. Often the directors view is different from our own (along with studios adding extra stuff to make it more fun).

There are exceptions though, obviously hardly any LOTR geeks were not happy with how well the film was made and represented the story.

Basically what I am saying is that most of the time great books being made into movies are a train wreck waiting to happen. Do you all agree or disagree, what other great book adaptations are there (obviously a biased question).

here is the off of the top of my head bad renditions of great books

Catch 22
Battlefield Earth
The Time Machine
The Hulk (comic book)
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (great movie, but everyone I talk to agrees that it did no justice to the book)

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 07:00 AM
scabby mcgee is currently offline Click here to Send scabby mcgee a Private Message Find more posts by scabby mcgee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

I hate reading.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 07:05 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Hell, I can't read.

Anywho, you'd think that the actual author of these books would have a say in which screenwriter adapts these books to movies, if the author themselves doesn't helm such a task.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 07:19 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

"One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (great movie, but everyone I talk to agrees that it did no justice to the book)"

I'm actually one of the few that will argue that the movie is supperior to the book. The books very dark, doesn't flow well, and the character's, with the exception of R.P. McMurphy, aren't developed well. The movie is very light hearted, untill the ending, which makes it all the more shocking and powerful when the heartbreaking finale occurs. The movie does everything the book does, and actually enhances many of it's flaws

Don't get me wrong, it's a great book, but I think the film is the pinacle of the story.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2004 07:35 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
scarymvyfanatic
Master Debator

I think that a movie made from a book can be awesome but still do no justice to the book, so why not make an awesome movie?

Old Post Jul 15th, 2004 08:56 PM
scarymvyfanatic is currently offline Click here to Send scarymvyfanatic a Private Message Find more posts by scarymvyfanatic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

i think dune the original was one of the worst movie adaption on the dune book.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2004 10:56 PM
Shadow_King is currently offline Click here to Send Shadow_King a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow_King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

the thing with reading the book is you can imagine anything you want. you create the characters' looks in your mind, you direct the movie, the attitude is within you... the power of imagination really comes into play here. in the movies, if you don't like the actors, the director and the general way the movie was made, it kinda ruins the book...

Old Post Jul 15th, 2004 11:05 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote