KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Best WWII movies that mainly involve the British

Best WWII movies that mainly involve the British
Started by: British Lad

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
British Lad

Best WWII movies that mainly involve the British

What do you all consider to be the best WWII movies? Two stipulations I must make are that it must involve the British (i.e. A bridge too far or Battle for Britain) and it must have battle scenes (i.e. no enigma). I am trying to enrich my DVD collection.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2004 02:23 PM
British Lad is currently offline Click here to Send British Lad a Private Message Find more posts by British Lad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

I dont know of any ww11 that even remotely involve the british

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Jul 16th, 2004 09:43 PM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I can think of two right now. The Desert Rats and also The great Escape (it has British prisoners)

Old Post Jul 16th, 2004 10:36 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

The Cruel Sea... definitely a classic Naval Movie, with narry a yank in sight... Where Eagles Dare... only Clint Eastwood, and he's helping the Brits... Passport to Pimlico... not exactly a war film, but set during the war... great comedy of the sort no one makes anymore.... Cockleshell Heroes... Heroes of Telemark... The Wooden Horse... Hannibal Jones (I think... its about a Brit POW escaping to Switzerland with an elephant...) battle of the River Plate, about the first British Victory in the war, Sept 1939 (down with the Graf Spee!!) Sink the Bismarck! The Eagle has Landed.. (German Fallschirmjaeger in Norfolk!!) Went the Day Well... Last Tide to Dieppe (about the Anglo Canadian raid in 1942... actually a love story, but it does have two battles and the British Army, so it counts...) The Dunkirk Story.... The colditz Story... theres a few to be getting on with... I'll post some more when I think of them....

Old Post Jul 16th, 2004 11:01 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
British Lad

Thanks for the list

BTW do you know any WW2 films that have large tank battles

Old Post Jul 18th, 2004 02:07 AM
British Lad is currently offline Click here to Send British Lad a Private Message Find more posts by British Lad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Redeemer

quote:
Originally posted by British Lad
Thanks for the list

BTW do you know any WW2 films that have large tank battles

Try the excellent BRIDGE AT REMAGEN...some damn powerful tank action in that one...and the end of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN with tanks demolishing an entire town...

Peter Gabriel - SLEDGEHAMMER.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2004 08:54 PM
The Redeemer is currently offline Click here to Send The Redeemer a Private Message Find more posts by The Redeemer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roundisfunny

I have to go with "The Great Escape", though I also liked "Force 10 from Navarone". They both had "token" Americans working with the Brits, to help increase the US box office.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2004 10:59 PM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

yeah i dont think any americans was involved in the great escape(in real life)
still a brilliant film though

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Feb 12th, 2005 10:06 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

MEMPHIS BELLE

It's May 17, 1943; the day before the Memphis Belle's, a B-17 bomber, 25th and final mission. After their final mission, they crew of ten men get to go home. Since they would be the first crew to finish all 25 missions in the 8th Airforce, there were already plans to make the 10-man crew big stars back home for the war effort. But the mission hadn't been flown yet. With the target being Bremen (not Dresden), which was a target heavy in surface-to-air artillery, the flak wouldn't be easy to get through. With weather, nerves, and dreams all playing a part in the finishing of the mission, the crew has to become the lead plane in the squadron and get the job done of bombing a Nazi supply factory, if they get it wrong, many innocent people could be killed.

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Feb 12th, 2005 10:42 PM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Err...

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 12:14 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote:
Originally posted by GCG
MEMPHIS BELLE

It's May 17, 1943; the day before the Memphis Belle's, a B-17 bomber, 25th and final mission. After their final mission, they crew of ten men get to go home. Since they would be the first crew to finish all 25 missions in the 8th Airforce, there were already plans to make the 10-man crew big stars back home for the war effort. But the mission hadn't been flown yet. With the target being Bremen (not Dresden), which was a target heavy in surface-to-air artillery, the flak wouldn't be easy to get through. With weather, nerves, and dreams all playing a part in the finishing of the mission, the crew has to become the lead plane in the squadron and get the job done of bombing a Nazi supply factory, if they get it wrong, many innocent people could be killed.

wasn't that american? as in 'memphis'

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 12:28 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
baracustastic
I aint gettin on no plane

Bridge on the River Kwai.

dunno about tanks.

Americans add throwing, pads, alter the length of the game etc, i.e. change it completely yet still call it football.

Then they call the original soccer, and expect the rest of the world to adopt this bastard name. Pish.

From hence forth American football shall be known as "soccer." by me.

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 12:32 AM
baracustastic is currently offline Click here to Send baracustastic a Private Message Find more posts by baracustastic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

i'll fetch my coat...........

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Feb 13th, 2005 03:29 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

Re: Best WWII movies that mainly involve the British

quote:
Originally posted by British Lad
What do you all consider to be the best WWII movies? Two stipulations I must make are that it must involve the British (i.e. A bridge too far or Battle for Britain) and it must have battle scenes (i.e. no enigma). I am trying to enrich my DVD collection.
I know this is out of your stipulations but I must suggest a movie called Conspiracy . it's a great reenactment of the infamous Wannsee Conference where the Nazi's decide on the 'final solution'

almost all of the actors are British and it's one of the best acting performances I've ever seen!

Old Post Feb 14th, 2005 07:11 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DenKi

saving Private Ryan 2 is good

Old Post Feb 14th, 2005 12:54 PM
DenKi is currently offline Click here to Send DenKi a Private Message Find more posts by DenKi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

i do not think there was a sequel to Saving Private Ryan...

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Feb 16th, 2005 04:22 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

back on topic :

The Guns of Navarone

A small group of British and Greek commandos, led by Major Franklin (Anthony Quayle) is sent to land on the island. After a long, weary journey, dodging German patrols buzzing about, they reach the ruins of St. Alexis and make contact with the local Greek resistance forces. Captain Mallory (Gregory Peck), who had replaced injured Franklin, begins suspecting a possible traitor among his comrades.

(please log in to view the image)

Oscar:
Best Effects, Special Effects

Oscar nominations:
Best Director -> J. Lee Thompson
Best Film Editing
Best Music
Best Picture
Best Sound
Best Writing

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 01:27 AM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Bridge on the River Kwai is great.
The Guns of Navarone is a fun watch.
The Great Escape was mostly British, Australian and Canadian soldiers.
Memphis Belle doesn't have any Brit content what so ever.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 10:52 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trickster
True KMC Jester

What;s that film where they have the fight on the cablecar? That's a good film!

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 11:16 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

zulu
great escape
a bridge to far

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Feb 24th, 2005 11:35 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote