KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review: The Village

Review: The Village
Started by: betrumka

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
betrumka

Just Saw "the Village"

I was able to get tickets to a premiere of The Village tonight (Thursday).

Well... let me just say that is no 6th Sense. It is also not as good as Signs. I would put it more on the level of Unbreakable as far as quality.

It does have a few moments (but really only a few) that reach out and make you choke on your popcorn or pepsi.

At about 1 hour into the movie I was thinking well... I haven't really been scared yet... I think I was more scared watching the trailer earlier this summer than I was in the first hour of this film.

It has the M. Night Shyamalan trademark twist at the end a la 6th Sense.
The 6th Sense was fresh and caught most of us off guard. During this movie you will probably figure out the twist before the end.

Here is a hint for you (READ NO FURTHER IF YOU WANT A COMPLETE SUPRISE!!): Don't be fooled by the date on the tombstone at very beginning of the film.

It ends somewhat abruptly when it could have had a much more frightening ending ( which might of saved my overall feeling about the film). Instead it ends on a fairly happy, all things are resolved feeling.

I was able to get free tickets from a promoter. $8 or $10??? I don't know if I would pay full price for this one. How much does Blockbuster charge to rent new releases these days? It might be worth the wait to see the film at home on DVD. This movie may actually have more fright if you watched it in your own home. Especially if you live in a remote or rural area.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 05:45 AM
betrumka is currently offline Click here to Send betrumka a Private Message Find more posts by betrumka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

Barf The Village

DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE

it is not worth going to see in theaters... it was bood at the sold out screening tonight a lot of people left early.. wow o wow was this not what anyone expected.. it was so weak.. argh! im so dissapointed in this movie! maybe after i sleep on it i wont hate it as much... but ill post below the plot this is a major spoiler so dont read if you dont wanna know.. and you prolly wont want to see the movie after reading this

you will laugh more then you will be scared its basicly a bad comedy/romance

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: ok weve seen the trailers with "the ones we dont speak of" and the red marks and when the girls like "dont let them in" seems maybe scary, spooky, thrilling... wait this was a totaly different movie... the truth is its all a hoax.. none of it is real its set in present day and pretty much a group of people whos lives sucked went to live in this field in the middle of an animal sanctuary (that is absent of any animals) in total secret and created the monsters as a way to scare the next generation of people that live in their village into never trying to leave.. eventually it gets out of hand and someone has to leave.. blah blah its SHIT

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 07:09 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

i just posted in the movie review section but ill state it here as well since i feel strongly that NO ONE should spend money on this movie.. you WILL be let down

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 07:10 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Captain's Wench
Queen of da swashbucklers

omg that was one of da dumbest movies i've ever seen...

www.myspace.com/ilovechristofer

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 07:25 AM
Captain's Wench is currently offline Click here to Send Captain's Wench a Private Message Find more posts by Captain's Wench Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Read the spoiler and I must say it does sound dumb. But whatever, I'm seeing it tommorow, we'll see if it's as crappy as everyone says.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 07:32 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

Can you PM me with the twist?

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 11:11 AM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JamalMagloire

I'm still going to see it this weekend. I liked all of M. Night's previous movies and think this looks cool.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 03:28 PM
JamalMagloire is currently offline Find more posts by JamalMagloire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

I have not read your spoiler, forumcrew, and am going to see the movie this weekend though.

I am not doubting the reason why the "secret" is so ridiculous - in fact, it probably is, I've read that it was in several places - but I don't hold too much validity nowadays in crowds booing a movie.

If the crowd's anything like the crowd in the theater for Anchorman, and it probably is, then forget any opinions based on their reactions. The patrons for these types of movies are getting mindlesser and mindlesser by the year.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 04:11 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

quote:
Originally posted by amity75
Can you PM me with the twist?

read my post in the movie review section it has the twist in spoiler tags

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 05:07 PM
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

Really? I was so excited to see this movie. I was going to go see it today, but now I have to wait for a few days. erm

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 06:32 PM
BingaBonga is currently offline Click here to Send BingaBonga a Private Message Find more posts by BingaBonga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

yea i know how you feel.. and im not trying to just bash this movie.. i was REALLY looking forward to seeing it, i thought it was going to be great.. but it was such a let down i feel obligated to warn people

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 06:47 PM
madsci
beats beats beats

i am going to see this movie tonight, despite the fact that i read the spoiler. if that is the commentary he (shymaylan) is making, i find that rather intriguing. if that is how story ends, and that is how it made you feel, i believe it says more about audience members on the whole who dislike it. i'm going to go see it without any expectations and accept for what it is.

madsci
dr.mindbender's apprentice

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 07:01 PM
madsci is currently offline Click here to Send madsci a Private Message Find more posts by madsci Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Yeah, Shamaylan uses the same formula for each of his movies. Scary creepy suspense then a big secret at the end.

Problem with this one is that it was a crappy secret.

Shamaylan is washed-up!
Come up with something new for a change! thumb down

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 07:43 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

and there was no scary creppy suspense.. this movie turned out to be a love story nothing more

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 09:11 PM
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

That really really stinks. erm

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 09:27 PM
BingaBonga is currently offline Click here to Send BingaBonga a Private Message Find more posts by BingaBonga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I just saw this flick, it was wierd. It didn't have the same tight narrative that all of his other films has, it was rather sloppy. It couldn't decide rather or not it wanted to be a thriller or a romance. It wasn't bad, it had good performances and what not, but it was just a very generic film.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 11:35 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

I really enjoyed it and gave it a 5/5 in my thread.But I have to agree with backfire its hard to distinguish this movie between a love story and a thriller erm

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 12:45 AM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

So we're having mixed feelings here?

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 01:05 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by Stormy Day
I really enjoyed it and gave it a 5/5 in my thread.But I have to agree with backfire its hard to distinguish this movie between a love story and a thriller erm

A perfect rating for a seemingly very flawed film? I don't get your logic, man.

I've decided to skip it.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 01:16 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BingaBonga
**-Away-**

Well, everyone has different tastes...

◦•~The KMC Sisterhood~•◦

Old Post Jul 31st, 2004 01:37 AM