KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review: Garden State

Review: Garden State
Started by: forumcrew

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
forumcrew

Smile Garden State

I have been looking forward to this movie for a long time, and unlock many other movies this summer it did not dissapoint. I thought it was very very good. Rathen then typing a bunch though, im just gonna post comingsoon.net review of it, because it is pretty much right on in my opinion.

But my bottom line is this is a great film and a MUST see

www.comingsoon.net
Garden State
Reviewed by: Edward Douglas
Rating: 9 out of 10
Movie Details: View here

Cast:
Zach Braff as Andrew Largeman
Natalie Portman as Sam
Ian Holm as Gideon Largeman
Peter Sarsgaard as Mark
Method Man as Diego
Jean Smart as Carol
Alex Burns as Dave
Jackie Hoffman as Aunt Sylvia Largeman
Michael Weston as Kenny
Armando Riesco as Jesse
Amy Ferguson as Dana
Trisha LaFrache as Kelly
Jim Parsons as Tim
Jayne Houdyshell as Mrs. Lubin
Ron Leibman as Dr. Cohen
Ann Dowd as Olivia
Ato Essandoh as Titembay
Wynter Kullman as Pam
Geoffrey Arend as Karl Benson

Story:
Andrew Largeman (Braff) is a third rate L.A. television actor who must return home to Jersey when his mother dies. Wandering around in a highly medicated state, he meets Sam (Portman), a quirky young woman who becomes his companion on a number of adventures through Jersey, teaching Largeman that there is a lot more to life than what he left back in Los Angeles.

Analysis:
Considering how many big "buzz movies" have come out this summer, not from the big studios, but smaller films that debuted at this year's Sundance Film Festival, it's amazing when one comes along that takes you by surprise despite having high expectations. Plenty of television actors have thrown their hat into the ring of directing an independent feature, but few of them pull it off as well as Zach Braff does with his first movie, Garden State, a very original take on the overused term "romantic comedy".

It takes a bit of time to get used to the disjointed storytelling as Braff's character Andrew Largeman, better known to his friends as "Large", is dragged from one location to another meeting strange characters before quickly moving on. Everyone at least once in their life has spent a day being dragged around by a friend for reasons only known to them to discover that the quest is often more memorable than the actual destination. While not all of the disparate scenes work, the ones that do are amazing.

Since Large is heavily medicated for the first half hour of the movie, Braff isn't responsible for delivering the laughs that his "Scrubs" fans may be used to. The humor is far more subtle than you might expect, often resorting to sight gags that are more surreal than funny. The characters he meets are not strange in the "Twin Peaks" sense, but more mundane and odd, driven to take their quirks as far as they can. It makes you wonder if there is anyone even remotely normal in Braff's New Jersey.
Leave it to Natalie Portman to be Garden State's savior, something she does quite admirably as the quirky Sam, an adorably insane presence who changes the entire tone of the movie. She is the kind of woman that is almost impossible to not fall in love with, but also one that you know will be trouble for someone as emotionally stinted as Largeman. Then again, you can't help but love someone who has her own personal hamster cemetery in her backyard. Sam/Natalie's freedom of thought and expression is what keeps the movie fresh and interesting, not only because she brings out the best in Largeman in sharing her life with him, but as an actress, Portman brings out the very best in Braff. The chemistry between the two of them is so real and natural that it's almost impossible to not fall in love with the potential of their relationship. Essentially, Sam pulls Large out of his shell forcing his much-needed transformation in a similar to Kate Winslet's role in Michel Gondry's wonderful Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.

As Largeman's best friend and chronic bad influence, Peter Saarsgard pulls out another hilarious performance, his trademark dry wit bringing so much to every one of his scenes. You know that things are good when Sir Ian Holm, better known to some as Bilbo Baggins, has the least interesting character as Large's father and psychiatrist. It's not much of a stretch for Holm even with the stilted American accent, and though their relationship is as important as the one Large has with Sam, most of their scenes are not the movie's strongest moments.

Braff's background as a video director is evident from the way he seamlessly merges the mellow songs of Coldplay and The Shins into the story, and he brings a stylish eye to every scene without getting too flashy or obvious. Sure, there are a few times where the movie becomes in danger of turning into an extended music video, but that may only be due to the nature of the storytelling. Of course, when you put a Simon and Garfunkel song into a movie like this, you're just asking for comparisons to The Graduate, but there are probably worse ways to get your film career in gear than to solicit comparisons to Dustin Hoffman.

The Bottom Line:
Zach Braff's deeply endearing movie about home, family and love is the ultimate movie for dreamers and romantics. It will secretly sneak up on you, and the tears you may experience from watching the movie will be out of joy that someone finally understands what it's like to feel lost and how wonderful it is to find someone that can pull you out of it. Very few movies have gotten that sentiment on film as well as Garden State.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 03:47 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MissesDepp?!
Creature of the night...

**phewf** good to know it's worth seeing, I've been waiting to see it too.

Curiouser and Curiouser

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 08:12 AM
MissesDepp?! is currently offline Click here to Send MissesDepp?! a Private Message Find more posts by MissesDepp?! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

Whens it coming out?

Days until new season of CSI:26

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 05:47 PM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spitback
Restricted

Account Restricted

topic already done for **** sake

15 months untill a big hard kick in the nuts up top family guy below a screenshots of big hard kick in the nuts.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 06:33 PM
Spitback is currently offline Click here to Send Spitback a Private Message Find more posts by Spitback Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

quote:
Originally posted by Stormy Day
Whens it coming out?

it depends where you live. It came out in NY and LA the end of July and last Friday it was added to a few citites and in a few weeks it comes out in even more, so if its no where nere you yet, it should be in a couple weeks

and spit back the thread in the movies forum is a place to discuss the movie this is to review it..

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 09:03 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

I live around Sacremento,California erm

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 09:31 PM
Stormy Day is currently offline Click here to Send Stormy Day a Private Message Find more posts by Stormy Day Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

on their website they only list San fran and LA as place that have it.. but i dont see Bethesda, MD on it and thats where i saw it you may be able to find it yet.. if theres a theater around you that had farenhight, napoleon dynamight, open water.. or other indie films check with them they will most likely by the ones to show it

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 10:52 PM
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

I dont think im gonna see it tho sad

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 11:37 PM
Spitback
Restricted

Account Restricted

see

15 months untill a big hard kick in the nuts up top family guy below a screenshots of big hard kick in the nuts.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 11:38 PM
Spitback is currently offline Click here to Send Spitback a Private Message Find more posts by Spitback Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stormy Day
Restricted

Account Restricted

See what?

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 11:41 PM
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

I saw this movie, though I'm not big on romantic comedies because they all tend to be the same, this is amazing! I have never liked Natalie Portman in a movie before now. If Zach Braff doesn't make it as a director, I'm gonna be mad, this movie is sooooooo good. Now that it's playing in more theaters (nearer to where I live now) I'm gonna see it again. It takes a really good movie for me to pay the theater to see it twice.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2004 05:31 PM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

yea thats what makes this great.. its not crazy action or anything, just a simple story and people still wanna see it again and again.. even people who dont normally like movies like this.. thats why im tryin to spread the word and get more people to go see it, because not a person yet has gone and then told me it wasnt great

Old Post Aug 29th, 2004 04:28 AM
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

I live in Jersey so I kinda want to see it

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 01:40 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moonwalker741
1039-Smoothed

me too slipknot, i went to the movies yesterday, and it was playing there, but it was rated R, and me and my friends were going to see another movie, but atleast i know is playing closes by smile

Jersey Rules

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 10:42 AM
moonwalker741 is currently offline Click here to Send moonwalker741 a Private Message Find more posts by moonwalker741 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jersey does kick some major ass

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 01:11 PM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
inlovewithtuna

I think I expected too much of this movie....wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. Still good though.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2004 06:13 PM
inlovewithtuna is currently offline Click here to Send inlovewithtuna a Private Message Find more posts by inlovewithtuna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

quote:
Originally posted by moonwalker741
me too slipknot, i went to the movies yesterday, and it was playing there, but it was rated R, and me and my friends were going to see another movie, but atleast i know is playing closes by smile

Jersey Rules

yea i read in an interview that if you say "****" more then once your garunteed an R rating.. that being why Garden State is rated R.. being a small time indie he didnt wanna change the script at all to accomodate a rating

Old Post Aug 31st, 2004 05:08 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

This was a great film. Zach Braff was oustanding as the drugged out young man who eventually realizes everything life has to offer after he gets off of his perscription drugs. Natelie Portman is also outstanding, reminding us that she can play a charasmatic character to a tee, which is easily forgotten when remembering her character in the Star Wars films.

This movie reminds us of all the little things in life that can add up and make it beauiful.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2004 09:34 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

from Zach Braffs blog:
" In the world of Garden State, you will notice that it's slowly coming out of theaters. It will continue to wind down between now and Thanksgiving, so if there's that great aunt you always wanted to see it or that girl you don't quite have the balls to ask out but you wanted to take her to the movie cause it's romantic and you thought the odds of you getting your mack on would go up - now is the time. I'm working - at many of your requests
- at getting the DVD release date moved up a week or two from December 28th. But you can pre-order the DVD on Amazon."

so if youve been thinking of seeing it better get out there and see it soon

its already like #197 on IMDB's top 250

Last edited by forumcrew on Oct 8th, 2004 at 04:11 PM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2004 04:01 PM
Hypernova

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
This was a great film. Zach Braff was oustanding as the drugged out young man who eventually realizes everything life has to offer after he gets off of his perscription drugs. Natelie Portman is also outstanding, reminding us that she can play a charasmatic character to a tee, which is easily forgotten when remembering her character in the Star Wars films.

This movie reminds us of all the little things in life that can add up and make it beauiful.

What BackFire said.

I apologise for bringing this up (again) but this being an Indie film, it didn't have a wide release. I had to hunt down a cinema that played it.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 08:05 AM
Hypernova is currently offline Click here to Send Hypernova a Private Message Find more posts by Hypernova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote