KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Oscar Ripoffs

Oscar Ripoffs
Started by: Jedi Priestess

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
~JP~
yeah baby

Shocked Oscar Ripoffs

I know everyone has opinions about this and I'd be interested in hearing them. If possible please note the year of the Oscars as well, and what won.

NOTE: PLEASE POST THE ONES THAT HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN NOMINATED FOR AND LOST WHEN YOU THOUGHT THEY SHOULD HAVE WON.

Best Picture
What should have won: STAR WARS
What did win: ANNIE HALL

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Who should have won: Sir Alec Guinness for Star Wars
Who won: Jason Robards for Julia

Best Director
Who should have won: George Lucas for Star Wars
Who won: Woody Allen for Annie Hall

Best Picture
What should have won: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
What did win: SHAKESPHERE IN LOVE

Best Actor
Who should have won: Tom Hanks for Saving Private Ryan
Who did win: Roberto Benigni for Life is Beautiful

Best Picture
What should have won: LOTR FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
What did win: A BEAUTIFUL MIND

Best actor in a supporting role
Who should have won: Ian McKellen for The Fellowship of the Ring
Who did win: Jim Broadbent for Iris

those are the ones that come to my mind immediately.......

Last edited by ~JP~ on Aug 15th, 2004 at 06:30 AM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 06:27 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

ah who really cares, no one takes presidence on this except for the people being nominated. We all know the best movies and greatest directors regaurdless of the winner.Indiana jones. Rocky, RAMBO, Die HArd, Lethal weapon, and Aliens should have owned them all. laughing laughing laughing out loud Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance that there is my happy ending stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 08:13 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

quote:
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
ah who really cares, no one takes presidence on this except for the people being nominated.

well thats YOUR opinion....I remember very clearly sitting there watching the Oscars and being VERY pissed that the piece of crap Shakesphere in Love beat Saving Private Ryan as best movie.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 03:21 PM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Im kinda surprised that Cinema hasnt weighed in yet huh

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 10:09 PM
roundisfunny

I remember thinking that Sam Jackson (for "Pulp Fiction") was robbed when Martin Landau won for "Ed Wood" in 1995, but I also thought that making Jackson a "suporting" nominee and Travolta a "leading" nominee was just as big an injustice. It's been nearly a decade, and I'm almost over it now.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 10:58 PM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

2000: Gladiator won. Requiem for a Dream should have won.

I agree with 2001.

Forrest Gump won in 1994, Shawshank Redemption should have won.

Chicago won in 2002, Two Towers should have won.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 11:20 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Do The Right Thing not even being nominated for an oscar which is the biggest ripoff ever.

Also probably a lot of people will disagree, but in my opinion JFK should of won best picture instead of Silence of the Lambs which was a great movie but their are few movies if any that I have seen that is better than JFK.

Also isnt it interesting that the two movies ive mentioned were controversial films and didnt win.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on Aug 16th, 2004 at 12:43 AM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 12:38 AM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
angelsflame265
la la la lalaaaa

I still think Sean Austin should've at least been nominated for Best Supporting actor in the Return of the King

Offical Country Music Lover of Ravenclaw

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 12:44 AM
angelsflame265 is currently offline Click here to Send angelsflame265 a Private Message Find more posts by angelsflame265 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Re: Oscar Ripoffs

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
note

quote:
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
NOTE: PLEASE POST THE ONES THAT HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN NOMINATED FOR AND LOST WHEN YOU THOUGHT THEY SHOULD HAVE WON.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 03:11 AM
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre should have won at least 1 oscar in 1974, I dont even think it was nominated, huge ripoff.

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 04:02 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
2000: Gladiator won. Requiem for a Dream should have won.
I agree with 2001.
Forrest Gump won in 1994, Shawshank Redemption should have won.
Chicago won in 2002, Two Towers should have won.

Now see I think Gladiator was dead on with that win, but I very much agree that Shawshank should have beat Forrest Gump which is a movie I never really much cared for myself. And I agree with Two Towers over Chicago..........but the big deal was the revival of the musical I guess.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 05:28 AM
BackFire

Gladiator was a poor rip off of Sparticus. It was cliche, predictable and very simple in it's presentation of the same basic premise of Sparticus. There were many other films that were far more deserving of the oscar that year. Requiem is just one of them.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 05:31 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
angelsflame265
la la la lalaaaa

Re: Re: Oscar Ripoffs

quote:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
note

hehe. . . sorry embarrasment

Offical Country Music Lover of Ravenclaw

Old Post Aug 16th, 2004 04:26 PM
angelsflame265 is currently offline Click here to Send angelsflame265 a Private Message Find more posts by angelsflame265 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Oh, also, in 2000 best actress should have gone to Ellen Bustyn, not that over rated ***** Julia Roberts.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 07:41 PM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Re: Oscar Ripoffs

quote:

Best Picture
What should have won: STAR WARS
What did win: ANNIE HALL
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Who should have won: Sir Alec Guinness for Star Wars
Who won: Jason Robards for Julia
Best Director
Who should have won: George Lucas for Star Wars
Who won: Woody Allen for Annie Hall

Best Picture
What should have won: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
What did win: SHAKESPHERE IN LOVE
Best Actor
Who should have won: Tom Hanks for Saving Private Ryan
Who did win: Roberto Benigni for Life is Beautiful

Best Picture
What should have won: LOTR FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
What did win: A BEAUTIFUL MIND
Best actor in a supporting role
Who should have won: Ian McKellen for The Fellowship of the Ring
Who did win: Jim Broadbent for Iris

The most interesting thing here (apart from the fact that you got the years wrong) is that I disagree with the oscars frequently but disagree MORE with every single example you gave - with the exception of best actor 1999 (in reality 1998) which i think should have gone to Edward Norton for American History X.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2004 07:53 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Zero, go back and REREAD my very first post.........I said the year of the OSCARS.....NOT the year of the movie. And I agree that Edward Norton in American History X was superb. But I could care less if you agree with MY choices or not.....I asked people to post what they thought were Oscar rip-offs not flame my choices.

Last edited by ~JP~ on Aug 18th, 2004 at 01:17 AM

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 01:12 AM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
But I could care less if you agree with MY choices or not.....I asked people to post what they thought were Oscar rip-offs not flame my choices.

Didnt mean to flame your choices : Im normally the first person to yell foul where the academy awards is concerned : i was just amazed to see that you managed to choose options that given your choices I disagreed with right across the board (except for Ed.)

Sorry that wasnt interesting to you, but dont take it personally.

(& rather than go with what the academy and - lets face it - everyone else lists as the year for those films you came up with your own system. kudos for being outside the box...)

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 01:31 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

My lil rant:

1998 Best Picture : Shakespeare in love was simply amusing fluff, but Saving Private Ryan was JUNK - Should have gone to Gary Oldmans Nil by Mouth or Chasing Amy.

2000 I would also have liked to see Requiem for a Dream pick up best film. - The fact that that year Russell Crowe won best actor for Grunting while Ed Harris was giving a masterclass in Pollock is almost laughable.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 01:46 AM
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

How can you say SPR was junk, that movie was amazing.

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 01:56 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by SlipknoT
How can you say SPR was junk, that movie was amazing.

You had to ask...

Half a dozen guys stumble across Normandy during the chaos of the invasion looking for ONE soldier when they only have the vaguest idea where he is... and find him. What LUCK! (JUNK.)

Whats left of this weary broken down rag-tag group then defeat an entire German tank division. (JUNK.)

A german that the good old humane americans let live earlier (because americans are decent god fearing types) comes back - amazingly bumps into the SAME group that let him live and proves that Nazis are bad by killing people. Almost unbearable cliched cinematic JUNK.

Then in one final act of "**** you" it turns out that the film is not being remembered in flashback by Tom Hanks as we were lead to think at the outset - because he's (weep for poor Forest Gump! War is sad!) dead - it's being remembered in flashback by Matt Damon - who wasn't even there for most of it. JUNK.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2004 02:24 AM