KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review : Menace II Society

Review : Menace II Society
Started by: Smallville

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

Menace II Society

Caine “Kaydee” Lawson is a young street wise “Bawler.” Fresh out of high school, this young man is getting into more trouble then he can handle.

It starts out with him and his friend Kevin “O-Dawg” buying beer at a local liquor store in Watts, California, but it quickly turns into armed robbery and murder. Caines life was never easy, as he born into a life of violence and drugs. His father was a drug dealer, and his mother was a drug addict. They died while he was young, and Caine moved in with his Grandparents.

His Grandfather was a fairly religious person, and was always trying to steer Caine clear of the life on the streets. But the temptation was always constant and his influences from his ‘crew’ were too much to ignore.

Caine always found himself getting into trouble. Be it retaliation for his cousins death, trying to steal cars or anything of the sorts, he was heading down a path that was going to land him in jail, or as worm fodder.

This movie was a great tale of how life is tough some times, but there is always an alternative to the life you think you have. Your destiny is whatever you make of it. Nobody has control of your life except for you.

Please do not read the spoiler unless you have seen this movie.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: To quote the last line of the movie… my Grandfather asked me whether or not I cared if I lived or died. Yeah, I do. But now it is too late.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2004 02:19 PM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

This is my 2nd favorite film of all time, and will probably remain in that spot until I die.

I just remember watching it for the first time; I was completely blown away (no pun intended).

Caine is persuaded by O-Dawg to "find the ****'s who smoked your cousin" when they avenge Harold's murder. IMO that is when Caine almost reaches the point of no return. I feel he's past the point of no return around the time he jacks that guy in the Drive-thru line and also when he refuses to be a part of the girl he gets pregnant's life.

Then Jada Pinkett steps in, along with Mr. Butler and Shareef, to help pull him back in. To me it showed that even though Caine is neither perceived as too good nor too evil, it is the power of three people who care that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: ALMOST save him.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2004 04:03 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smallville
Last Son of Krypton

"Another Nigga from the ghetto."

That line summed up everything he felt. As if just because of his skin colour and where he came from he would get nowhere in life. Shareef, mr. Bulter and Ronnie made him see that he can be that much more if he applied himself and broke free of the chains he put on himself.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2004 04:27 PM
Smallville is currently offline Click here to Send Smallville a Private Message Find more posts by Smallville Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote