KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Your favorite 30's and 40's film(s)

Your favorite 30's and 40's film(s)
Started by: DanieLs_4_Ever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

Your favorite 30's and 40's film(s)

So what are your favorite old old movies, i mean Black and White style?

Mine? Id have to go with 1933's 'Wild Boys Of The Road' starring, Frankie Darro, who is an awesome actor, not to mention cute.

2nd I like the 1932 film 'Freaks' about a woman who falls in love with a 'LP' and its also about a traveling circus show.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 02:57 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

From the 40's - (as per my profilesmile

Les Enfants du paradis (1945)
A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

From the 30's, two from one of my favourite actors: Ronald Coleman

A tale of two Cities (1935)

Lost Horizon (1937)

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 03:31 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

Nicccee

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 04:12 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

from the 30's
Gone With The Wind (1939) - this movie is every bit of the hype it has received over the years...cinema history.

The Wizard of Oz (1939) - who doesn't know this movie

City Lights (1931) - the most notable Charles Chaplin film ever (the gold rush (1925) nearly pales in comparison)

from the 40's
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) -Cary Grant is so adorable in this and Peter Lorre is so class.

also
I Married a Witch (1942) - fun dark comedy and Veronica Lake is to sexy.

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) - war and tragedy come home in this fabulous movie...really really great.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - still played here every Christmas

The Maltese Falcon (1941) - the 40's was Humphrey Bogart's decade and what can I say I just love Peter Lorre

-------------------------------------------------------------
the forties to me had so many good movies it really is hard to just pick a few...I must mention the late 30's through the 40's is when Disney really began to make it's mark.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937)
Fantasia (1940)
Bambi (1942)
Pinocchio (1940)
Dumbo(1941)
Song Of The South (1946) -most people don't know this movie because it's been banned but the song Zippity do da. Zippity-ay came from it. sang by Uncle Remus'

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 09:00 PM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

Crap I forgot The Wizard Of Oz. Add that'n stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 09:39 PM
BadKitty
cockeyed

I almost didn't write it either...'cause who doesn't love the wizard? big grin

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 09:52 PM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ash007
Strength and Honour

Citizen Kane i've seen it a couple of times and i thought is was an excellent film--great acting, plot, editing. i was particularly impressed with how the movie was directed and most of the time i was just so amazed with the cinematography. these are some of the reason why i thought the film was exceptional.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as awisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.-----Sir Winston Churchill

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 11:17 PM
ash007 is currently offline Click here to Send ash007 a Private Message Find more posts by ash007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

For real BK.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 11:18 PM
amity75

Mustn't forget King Kong.

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 11:21 PM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

That was koo too.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 11:25 PM
roundisfunny

Meet John Doe
Any of the Three Stooges shorts (we're counting those, right?)
Most John Wayne films of those decades
Ditto Humphrey Bogart, Gary Cooper, Cary Grant & Jimmy Stewart
Noir, Potboiler & Hitchcock stuff, the names of which I'm too lazy to look up right now.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 02:38 AM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by BadKitty
The Maltese Falcon (1941) - the 40's was Humphrey Bogart's decade and what can I say I just love Peter Lorre

Casa zero, sneak peek.

Attachment: blackbird.jpg
This has been downloaded 75 time(s).

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 06:50 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

Im talking about 30's and 40's films, roundisfunny.

The three stooges are from the 50's n 60's
John Wayne is from the 50's 60's and 70's

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 08:03 PM
thegreatrudini
Violator of the innocent

Mine has to be the first 3 universal frankensein films

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 08:14 PM
thegreatrudini is currently offline Click here to Send thegreatrudini a Private Message Find more posts by thegreatrudini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

never seen em.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 08:27 PM
roundisfunny

Uh, girlie? It's not often I want to reach across the internet and throttle somebody for exhibiting such stupidity. You should feel honored.

The Three Stooges had their biggest successes in the 30's and 40's. They made 130 features during those two decades, including "Restless Knights", "Hoi Polloi" and "Pardon my Scotch" (1935),
"Disorder in the Court" (1936), "You Nazty Spy" and "A-plumbing we will Go" (1940), "The Brideless Groom" (1947) and a host of others.

John Wayne is from the 50's, 60's and 70's??? He was in 70 films throughout the 30's, and his breakthrough role came in 1939 ("Stagecoach")! Some of his greatest films are from the 40's! Do you even know who John Wayne is? Look him up! In fact, do a little research before you chastise somebody.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 08:53 PM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

Top Hat or Beauty and the Beast

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 09:56 PM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

Yes, I am proud.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 10:40 PM
BadKitty
cockeyed

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Zero
Casa zero, sneak peek.
Mr. Zero I'm starting to believe we were the ones separated at birth!
doesn't Lauren Bacall have the sexiest voice..I just love her and bogey!

quote:
The Three Stooges had their biggest successes in the 30's and 40's. They made 130 features during those two decades, including "Restless Knights", "Hoi Polloi" and "Pardon my Scotch" (1935),
"Disorder in the Court" (1936), "You Nazty Spy" and "A-plumbing we will Go" (1940), "The Brideless Groom" (1947) and a host of others.

oh my goodness! how could I not add the three stooges to my list! Men in Black (1934) is my favotite one,it's the only Three Stooges short to be nominated for an Oscar.

also some more of my personal faves are -You Nazty Spy! (1940) ,I'll Never Heil Again (1941) ,Violent Is the Word for Curly (1938)

haha Swinging the Alphabet!!

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 04:28 AM
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

I LOVE The Wizard of Oz! happy
I loved it even more when I was a kid. I have it on home video!

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2004 06:57 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote