KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » First Gay Movie Character?

First Gay Movie Character?
Started by: Waggy the Dog

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Waggy the Dog

First Gay Movie Character?

I must know for a sociology project I am doing, so would anyone know the answer to this?

Who was the first Gay/Lesbian Movie character?

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 09:17 PM
Waggy the Dog is currently offline Click here to Send Waggy the Dog a Private Message Find more posts by Waggy the Dog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

*shrugs* Dracula?

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 09:30 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Well, I read that in 1972 there was an ABC made-for-TV movie called "That Certain Summer", starring Hal Holbrook and Martin Sheen as a gay couple.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 09:31 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Waggy the Dog

'69 had Midnight Cowboy. I'm sure there is something earlier than that, I just can't find it.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 09:55 PM
Waggy the Dog is currently offline Click here to Send Waggy the Dog a Private Message Find more posts by Waggy the Dog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

I was thinking The Boys in the Band but that was 1970

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 10:06 PM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lots of homosexual characters way before 1972.

Look up Different From Others, it's from 1919. German I think. Had a homosexual man in that.

Not sure about very first, but that's one I can remember from studies.

Fireworks, from the 40's. By Kenneth Anger.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 10:09 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carnival_junkie
God

I'm honestly not sure about dates or people. But please, fill me with information, I wish to know.

I have no speech, no name. I live in the action of death, blood cry and the penetrating wound. I am destruction. Absolute and alone.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2004 10:15 PM
carnival_junkie is currently offline Click here to Send carnival_junkie a Private Message Find more posts by carnival_junkie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roundisfunny

I remember seeing a Jimmy Cagney movie years ago in which a character was pretty obviously gay, but I can't remember which movie it was (maybe "The Public Enemy"?).

I do remember that the gay character was an enemy henchman who came over to Cagney's place to intimidate him or something, and Cagney said something like "You fellas want something to eat? I know you (indicating the gay guy) would probably like some fruit, but how about the rest of ya?"

Raising Arizona, 1987

Old Post Oct 18th, 2004 02:34 AM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Reborn Again
I'm HELL's Wrath!

www.imdb.com The Internet Movie Database. Everything you need to know you can find here.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 03:58 AM
Reborn Again is currently offline Click here to Send Reborn Again a Private Message Find more posts by Reborn Again Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

C3PO?

Old Post Oct 19th, 2004 05:32 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

the dude from moby dick... queequeg or something...

Old Post Oct 20th, 2004 01:40 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Bumping for rudester.. wink

Old Post Mar 19th, 2012 02:10 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rudester
Tommy

In, "Some Like It Hot" is an American comedy film, made in 1958 and released in 1959. The characters themselves were just cross dressers, the men weren't really gay so not sure if that counts.

Then there was, Ms Divine (October 19, 1945 – March 7, 1988), born Harris Glenn Milstead, was an American actor, singer and drag queen.

There was a lot of actors in the 40's and 50's that didn't come out of the closet till later on.

Rudolph Valentino (May 6, 1895 – August 23, 1926) was an Italian actor, and early pop icon. A sexual symbol of the 1920s, Valentino was known as the "Latin Lover".[1] He starred in several well-known silent films including The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Sheik, Blood and Sand, The Eagle and Son of the Sheik.

(please log in to view the image)

I would go with valentino because he was such a strong sex symbol for girls and influenced so many people, later on in like it was said that he was infact gay.. but no he wasn't open about it during those times.

Last edited by rudester on Mar 19th, 2012 at 02:29 AM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2012 02:26 AM
rudester is currently offline Click here to Send rudester a Private Message Find more posts by rudester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rudester
Tommy

One could argue that a lot of actors/artist were gay but were secretly gay and did not come out of the closet because it was to dangerous. It is my belief that, Burt Lancaster was infact gay, all the wives he divorced and then later on in life he would support gay rights", either he did it for a loved one or he did it for himself.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2012 02:49 AM
rudester is currently offline Click here to Send rudester a Private Message Find more posts by rudester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rudester
Tommy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_history

heres a link to LGBT History.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2012 02:56 AM
siriuswriter

Well, Cary Grant was gay, as well as Rock Hudson - who played all those manly man roles opposite Doris Day in things like "Pillow Talk." I don't know of any lesbians in the time period.

But trust Rudester. big grin

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2012 04:05 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I understood this thread to mean that the character in the film was gay. Not necessarily the actor in real life.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2012 04:48 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Gay character? HOkay then. No leads, just some gang bosses thinking they were being funny. Like the Cagney fruit joke. There's a lot of innuendo like this throughout the Golden Age. Katharine Hepburn played a part where she was a boxer and Spencer Tracy was her coach - probably was innuendo, but actually coming out gay? No.
The 70's had the idea of someone being gay - Three's Company. I wonder if HAIR had a gay character... I don't think so... EVerything else, but not homosexual.

God, that's a good question. I can't think of anything from the 60's...
Even in Will and Grace they wouldn't show a gay kiss... That had to wait until "Glee," which probably has the most break-thrus - gay kissing, and lesbian kissing, and a popular person [or many popular people : Santana, Brittany].

I Dream of Genie and Bewitched - an obviously homosexual lady and a married woman with children. [but there were a whole 'lotta jokes about the two guys being gay from their superior...

Old Post Mar 20th, 2012 01:06 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Gay character? HOkay then. No leads, just some gang bosses thinking they were being funny. Like the Cagney fruit joke. There's a lot of innuendo like this throughout the Golden Age. Katharine Hepburn played a pa

Old Post Mar 20th, 2012 01:47 AM
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
*shrugs* Dracula?

Didn't know about Burt Lancaster and Cary Grant. The only gay characters I can think of are-

-The Doc from Lost in Space.
-The black kid in Revenge of the Nerds.
-Couple in the Birdcage.
-Al Pacino's character in Dog Day Afternoon.

Last edited by the ninjak on Mar 20th, 2012 at 02:39 AM

Old Post Mar 20th, 2012 02:25 AM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote