KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Dogville

Dogville
Started by: Tired Hiker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Dogville

I just watched Dogville and I'm not sure exactly what to say. Part of me feels it was good. Part of me feels it was a serious waste of my time and I could have lived my whole life without seeing it and never missed out on anything. I guess I'm glad I saw it to cure the mystery as to whether or not I was missing out on something there, but I'm not sure if it was even entertaining; more depressing than anything. Has anyone seen it? What are your thoughts?

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 04:28 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sweet Escape
Paparazzi

Whats Dogville?

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 04:34 AM
Sweet Escape is currently offline Click here to Send Sweet Escape a Private Message Find more posts by Sweet Escape Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

It's a movie, shot like it was on a stage, like a play, starring Nicole Kidman and Paul Bettany. Basically, Kidman is hiding from the police and the mob, and she stumbles upon the small town of Dogville, consisting of sixteen people. Paul Bettany convices the town to let her stay, despite the danger she may bring to the town. And then, Kidman basically gets raped by every man in the town, and the ending it not happy at all. It was quite disturbing. The acting was great, but other than that, I can't think of any other redeeming qualities about this film.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 05:01 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Plus, it was like three hours long. erm

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 05:02 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I'm sure there is another thread on it, but I felt like the story could have been condensed into 90 minutes easily. Coupled with a bare stage, and a dated script, it was sleep enducing.

Mixed feelings, myself. Good acting, but 180 minutes was way too long.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 05:39 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I'm sure there is another thread on it, but I felt like the story could have been condensed into 90 minutes easily. Coupled with a bare stage, and a dated script, it was sleep enducing.

Mixed feelings, myself. Good acting, but 180 minutes was way too long.

Yeah, I did a search before I started this thread and the only thing that popped up were threads like, 'What was the best and worst film of 2004, and other threads not specifically designed for Dogville. Anyway, you are right, it could have been a shorter film and I thought the stage setting was a bit annoying. I guess the director has his artistic reasons for doing that, but I don't think it worked for me. It would have been a much better film it were shot in a real mountain setting, like well, Cold Mountain! laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 08:41 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Oh, the other thread was a review thread. I was a lot more critical of it there. I said something about it being "for the artsy fartsy types" and it was. I was horrified to find out it was part of a trilogy. messed

Funny how something that's supposed to be art has absolutely nothing in the way of visuals to keep your attention.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 01:44 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jones

I saw it at the cinema. Wasn't sure if I liked it either. After an hour I remember thinking "sh*t, we're on chapter 3 and there's 9 chapters!"

But the way it was filmed with minimal props was clever and the ending was definately memorable.

"I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my squishy"

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 01:54 PM
jones is currently offline Click here to Send jones a Private Message Find more posts by jones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
buffymitch
Colossus

I think everyone who saw this movie got this feeling. It was really weird movie. It was really long but the story did force me to watch till the end. Acting in this "movie" was great. I love how Nicole kidman's character goes through all these horrible things and at one point i thought it was real when it is all so fake. Especially in this movie. the movie was somewhat boring at some points but i liked how it all builded up to a great ending. Revenge is Sweet

Old Post Oct 24th, 2004 06:29 PM
buffymitch is currently offline Click here to Send buffymitch a Private Message Find more posts by buffymitch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
enema
toilet paper

This is a great film. I laughed my ass of for the first 15 minutes at the set. Then the story took hold and I was hooked, just like that first cigarette. The scene where Grace is in the back of the apple truck is amazing. I laughed, I thought, I felt...what more can you ask for.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 08:46 AM
enema is currently offline Click here to Send enema a Private Message Find more posts by enema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

I wont be watching it if it is 3 hours and with that sort of review! yikes!

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 08:57 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
enema
toilet paper

OCD, anyone?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 09:00 AM
enema is currently offline Click here to Send enema a Private Message Find more posts by enema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

what is OCD?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 09:02 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

OCD? Ooo...yes, please! I'll have some with my cough cough syrup as I wash wash wash wash wash my god-damn-hands! They're dirrrrrrrrty! ARghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhh!

Here's a question to ponder for the ages...The movie's called 'Dogville' but has neither dogs, nor villas! Strange, these 'movie-people'...

Ou, Ou, Ou is all you Need...

Last edited by Ou Be Low hoo on Jan 20th, 2005 at 09:05 AM

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 09:03 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
enema
toilet paper

It kinda has a dog. It just happens to be painted on the floor. Classic stuff, my man.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 09:06 AM
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

If that was anything, it would be called 'Painted Dogville', but it ain't, is it?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 09:09 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
enema
toilet paper

True. Damn it, just see the movie.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 09:13 AM
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

i dont know if I want to see the movie

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 09:35 AM
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
i dont know if I want to see the movie

In that case, you should see it 4-times on repeat with your eye-lids stapled open...That's what I'm going to do...YAY!

Old Post Jan 21st, 2005 04:06 AM
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

Last edited by Mane on Jan 21st, 2005 at 04:18 AM

Old Post Jan 21st, 2005 04:07 AM
Mane is currently offline Click here to Send Mane a Private Message Find more posts by Mane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote