KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review: Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning

Review: Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning

Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning (94 Min.)

Our favorite sisters Fitzgerald, Ginger and Bridgette, take refuge in Fort Bailey, an 19th century outpost that hosts the Northern Legion Trading Company. Ravaged nightly by a gang of lycanthropes, the sisters who are taken in against the traders will, are isolated at the base, and their most basic instinct, survival, is put to the test.

"GS3" is a rare breed of a prequel-sequel. It's more or less the original "Ginger Snaps", but with a Napoleonic flavor, which is a much welcome change, given the monotony in today's Horror genre. (Note, "The Beginning" doesn't tie in with the other previous "Ginger Snaps" offerings.)

Considering the minimal budget, the set design, production, cinematography, and overall direction of the movie seem to improve more and more as the franchise progresses. A personal favorite being the whitewashed "future-flash" scenes. Katharine Isabelle shines as the feisty red Ginger, and the evolution of Emily Perkins (Bridgette) is noticeable, looking back to the original.

The nature of the film, being a period piece, is to blame for minor dialogue lulls, and the overall lack of boisterous characters. It's a very stripped down version of the first, intentionally, and I felt as if this gamble paid off. Additionally, the emotional elements that drove the original are evidenced here, but even stronger, in my opinion.

This franchise is obviously an acquired taste, and most will pass it off as "another werewolf movie". Meanwhile, the legions of Ginger fans will continue to appreciate the creativity, the unique sisterly bond, and the boundaries the franchise has boldly crossed and (IMO) conquered.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Oct 29th, 2004 at 02:37 PM

Old Post Oct 29th, 2004 02:29 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

I'm guessing this one was straight to video?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 03:20 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

3 was released direct to video after 2 had a limited run, and didn't fair well.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 04:28 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

very few horror movies (and horror movie sequals) do i'm afraid, and while the Ginger Snaps movies dont really get me all excited (werewolf movies rarely do) i can apreciate that it is a good movie, unlike lots of the purile crap being pumped out lately

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 10:08 PM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

Never heard of it but I will have to check it out.JM Thanks for the info.JM

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2004 03:10 PM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

All three of these were really good.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2004 12:12 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote