KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » 300 - why oh why?

300 - why oh why?
Started by: KharmaDog

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

300 - why oh why?

Looks like they are going to make a movie about the stand of 300 spartans against over one million persians at the pass known as thermopylae. I love this story (actually along with the spartans there were about 7000 corinthians and other greeks, but the 300 stayed till the bitter end), but I have one problem...

Instead of making this movie based on historical accounts, or a really good novel like "Gates of Fire" (steven pressfield), the are making it from a comic book titled 300 by frank miller.

Even worse they are adding a subplot where king Leonidas' wife rallies support among his troops because they wanted to add "girl power".

Hollywood is slowly killing me.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2004 04:03 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

The 300 Spartans is also the best chippy in Loughborough....

Old Post Nov 6th, 2004 11:36 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

Re: 300 - why oh why?

quote:
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Looks like they are going to make a movie about the stand of 300 spartans against over one million persians at the pass known as thermopylae. I love this story (actually along with the spartans there were about 7000 corinthians and other greeks, but the 300 stayed till the bitter end), but I have one problem...

Instead of making this movie based on historical accounts, or a really good novel like "Gates of Fire" (steven pressfield), the are making it from a comic book titled 300 by frank miller.

Even worse they are adding a subplot where king Leonidas' wife rallies support among his troops because they wanted to add "girl power".

Ok, these kinda of comments really annoy me. When was it announced that every single movie has to be accurate and show everything thing the way it actually happened? Know what, it never was. So why do you moan and complain when a movie comes out that you feel doesn't portray the event accurately? That's why it is called a movie, it is for entertainment, it is not supposed to take the place of history classes. If you want to watch something that tells what actually happened and tells all the facts, go watch the History Channel.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 03:59 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

there's a 1960 version of it. Watch that for more historical realism.

When I learned there was a movie of the Battle of Themopoly (very bad spelling), i was excited. Now, I'm so-so. I love historical movies, yet I hate it when Hollywood f*cks it up by inserting pure BS. (if there is a love story, I will kill the director)

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 03:07 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

cal, it bugs me because hollywood distorts history into entertainment, and that version of history becomes generally accepted. If an ignorant world is a happy world for you, that's your prerogative.

It also shows me that hollywood lacks talented writers and panders to the audience. You can make a good movie and keep the facts intact.

The funny thing is I see visual Star Wars references in you avatar and sig, and I see alot of hardcore Star Wars fans freak out if a movie, book or video game doesn't stay true to George Lucas' original version. I think that's over the top. That fiction, a fictional world.

Yet alot of those same people think it's ok to screw with actual history for entertainment.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 01:37 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Telpy
SKittle Addict

quote:

Do the Bollywood then. angel

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 01:40 PM
Telpy is currently offline Click here to Send Telpy a Private Message Find more posts by Telpy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote