KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review: Alexander

Review: Alexander
Started by: forumcrew

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
forumcrew

Alexander

i just got back from seeing a screener of Alexander (all 3 hours of it) and i thought it was very good... cloest thing to compare it too of course is Troy and it blows it out of the water. It is a huge story to tell even for a 3 hour movie and I thought they did a great job of covering most of everything. everything "technical" like acting writing directing i felt was done very well.. what i was worried about was how they would tell the story and how accurate it would be to history.. and i was suprised to see it was amazingly accurate and they used a very good approach to tell the story. However it may move too slow for some people at times, you have to be interested in a story and not just fighting.. But the fights are amazing and insanely gory, there is plenty of bloody killing and rosario dawson gets naked which is always fun, and yes collin farell does have a brief nude scene himself.

overall i thought it was a very good movie, and anyone who has any interest in history or just in seeing a good story should enjoy it.. however if blood or animal brutality bothers you a lot, or if you are very uncomfortable with homosexuality (it has some akward moments but it fits their culture and their time) this may not be for you

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 03:46 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

i am gonna see it

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 04:28 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

I just read that some people are sueing the makers of this movie because it is not how Alexander was in real life.First of all they said he was not gay and in the movie they said he kissed two man on the lips.
Did any of you guys hear about this?JM

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 03:14 PM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Oh, great, so this is a gay movie now?? Who does Colin Farell get naked with, Elton John?

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 03:31 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

when's it out in the UK??

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 04:05 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

UK = 7th January apparently.

As for the sue news:

The makers of Colin Farrell's upcoming epic Alexander are facing the threat of lawsuit, for claiming warrior Alexander The Great was bisexual. A group of furious Greek lawyers insist the legendary conqueror was heterosexual, and they're now looking into suing film studio Warner Bros and director Oliver Stone for claims to the contrary. Yannis Varnakos, spokesman for the 25 lawyers, tells Reuters, "We are not saying that we are against gays, but we are saying that the production company should make it clear to the audience that this film is pure fiction and not a true depiction of the life of Alexander." The group has sent an extrajudicial note insisting that the studio include a reference in the credits saying the movie is fictional. While Varnakos and his group of Greek attorneys haven't actually seen the epic, they say they have gathered enough evidence to know there are "inappropriate references" to Alexander's sexuality. Varnakos says that Stone has the right to freely express himself - but the audience has the right to know the director is tampering with history. He adds, "We cannot come out and say that (former US) President John F. Kennedy was a shooting guard for the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team and so Warner cannot come out and say Alexander was gay."

From IMDB.

I am looking forwards to it, even if they have Farell as Alexander roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2004 05:18 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

they dont ever say hes gay in the movie, he has sex with women, although there are parts that seem a bit homosexual, but that was also a big part of the greek lifestyle, and he was very close with his child hood friend who he never does anything sexual with. and the bottom line is its a movie not a history book so people know its not 100% fact

Old Post Nov 24th, 2004 12:21 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
I just read that some people are sueing the makers of this movie because it is not how Alexander was in real life.First of all they said he was not gay and in the movie they said he kissed two man on the lips.
Did any of you guys hear about this?JM

See, truth of the matter is that no one knows how Alexander was in real life. About the gay thing, well it was common custom for roman and greek men to have male relations, most men had male partners while being married. this is just what history suggests.

I mean, i am just anxious to see this lawsuit get thrown out. There is a thing called artistic freedom when writing and making movies. That law suit is one of the silliest things i have ever heard.

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Nov 24th, 2004 at 09:38 AM

Old Post Nov 24th, 2004 09:36 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpiderGurl

I don't see how anyone in their right mind could think that Alexander is a great movie. This is the worst movie I've seen in AGES. EVERYTHING was wrong. Acting was poor, music was corny, camera placement was off, and the script was lame. I saw it at a free screening at UC Berkeley and everyone in the audience just wanted to leave because it was so long and boring. People kept laughing at the film when it wasn't meant to be funny because the script was just so lame, and Colin Farrel was obviously miscast. Believe me, if you watch this film, you're going to regret it.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2004 03:54 PM
SpiderGurl is currently offline Click here to Send SpiderGurl a Private Message Find more posts by SpiderGurl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

I argee that it is sillly.But I would not pay to go see a movie with two guys kissing each other.It grosses me out.I will have to go see some research on this matter.
To see who is right and who is wrong.But the romans in those days were mosty gays so you maybe right about that too.JM

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2004 04:51 PM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aleera1138

quote:
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
See, truth of the matter is that no one knows how Alexander was in real life. About the gay thing, well it was common custom for roman and greek men to have male relations, most men had male partners while being married. this is just what history suggests.

I mean, i am just anxious to see this lawsuit get thrown out. There is a thing called artistic freedom when writing and making movies. That law suit is one of the silliest things i have ever heard.

I agree. Movies are just that...Movies and should have Artistic freedom. big grin

Old Post Nov 24th, 2004 07:06 PM
Aleera1138 is currently offline Click here to Send Aleera1138 a Private Message Find more posts by Aleera1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

wow. first off, those lawyers just want to make a name for themselves.

second, history suggests, like many of you guys know and stated, that the bisexual lifestyle during those eras were common.

these people need to realize that it's only a movie. if you can sue people for historical inaccuracies from history to the movies, mel gibson would be broke.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 12:05 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

quote:
Originally posted by SpiderGurl
I don't see how anyone in their right mind could think that Alexander is a great movie. This is the worst movie I've seen in AGES. EVERYTHING was wrong. Acting was poor, music was corny, camera placement was off, and the script was lame. I saw it at a free screening at UC Berkeley and everyone in the audience just wanted to leave because it was so long and boring. People kept laughing at the film when it wasn't meant to be funny because the script was just so lame, and Colin Farrel was obviously miscast. Believe me, if you watch this film, you're going to regret it.

you say everythinhg was wrong.. can you back that up because for a movie it was pretty damn accurate on a lot of stuff i can list them if u like

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 02:09 AM
forumcrew

coming soon just reviewed it and think this will be helpfull..

Who should see the movie? This is Oliver Stone's interpretation of Alexander, if you enjoy his other work you should also enjoy this. Colin Farrell fans will get to see a lot of him here. He cuts a commanding figure as Alexander and that should make them happy. Action fans will love the battle scenes, but hey have to also accept the long stretches of background and a fairly high background level of homo-eroticism. If you are looking for a love story there is not really one here, other than the love for power that drives Alexander. The movie will make you think, mostly about whether you agree with some of the premises or not. The film has a R rating for multiple good reasons, there are often graphic battle scenes, a couple rapes (one man on man), and an over-extended sex scene (not between Alexander and Hephaistion).

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 05:16 AM
paulengel

Just got back form the theater

Its too bad Oliver Stone got his hands on this one. Save your money. This is probably the worst movie I have seen all year---and guess what I'm a guy who liked Troy and King Arthur--so you know this has to be terrible. There were three groups of people that actually got up and left in the middle. I think it was all of the homosexual undertones laced throughout the entire movie. I found myself laughing at much of the dialogue. Oh and it was sooooooooo long, it would never end.

The only redeeming quality in this movie is Rosario Dawson's bare gigantic rack....thats it.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 06:45 AM
paulengel is currently offline Click here to Send paulengel a Private Message Find more posts by paulengel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

I thought this movie was a lot of talking

I think if you are a big history buff then it would be great

I loved Val Kilmer's character -thought he was the best in that film
I mean Collin Farrel was great as usual -

I just thought they tried to cram a lot of history and information into 3 hours

O yea = what was up with Jared Leto and Collin Farrell - was Alexander gay??????????????

I always thought Alexander was a lady's guy- and he had a lot of ladies that adored him - he was known as being very hansome

thought Jared Leto looked sort of girly at times during the film

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 06:54 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

o yea !! Collin Farrell had nice shaved legs - YUMMMMMMMMM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 06:55 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
paulengel

One more thing---what was the deal with the accents in the movie---some of them had scotish accents (not Collin Farrel), some had american/english accents, and angelina jolie had some sort of russian thing going on. Am I missing something here. Why didn't they get one homogenous (pun intended) accent for all of greece?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 07:27 AM
paulengel is currently offline Click here to Send paulengel a Private Message Find more posts by paulengel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

^^ yes I noticed that -- especially when there was this one scene with a guy speaking in a very heavy scottish accent - almost felt like a Braveheart moment

Collin Farrell always seems to do good with his accents-

yea what was up with Angelina Jolie - hardly aging

there was a point where Collin Farrel and Angelina Jolie looked practically the same age

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 07:29 AM
Havoc470
Smo

imo, this movie was alright, for a movie based on a man who spent his life going through war they barely showed any of them, and just focused too much on his homosexuality, it was basically stretched for the 3 hour mark

imo troy was alot better, seeing as it explored Troy and not too much of Achilles sex life

angeline jolie's character wasnt macedonian, i forgot where she was originally from, around the end they definitely could've put more white in her hair, they did a pretty good job with the veins around the eyes though......unless that was just her lol

Last edited by Havoc470 on Nov 25th, 2004 at 11:27 AM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2004 11:24 AM
Havoc470 is currently offline Click here to Send Havoc470 a Private Message Find more posts by Havoc470 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote