KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review: Closer

Review: Closer
Started by: JKozzy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Cool Closer

The new movie, starring Natalie Portman, Jude Law, Julia Roberts, Clive Owen and Nick Hobbs.

Plot:
Photographer Anna (Julia Roberts) meets Dan (Jude Law), an aspiring novelist, at a photo shoot. But time passes and she goes on to marry dermatologist Larry (Clive Owen). Meanwhile, Dan begins dating Alice (Natalie Portman), a stripper, but he continues an affair with Anna. After the secret relationship is exposed, Larry and Anna begin a flirtatious friendship.

Originally a play, it's been brought to the big screen by Mike Nichols. I want to see this movie, unfortunately I'm exactly two months shy of 17. Has anyone seen it, or heard much about it? It's had rave reviews, and Natalie Portman is up for possible Academy Award nominations for her role as Alice. Anyone that's seen it, please post your review.

Old Post Dec 7th, 2004 02:47 AM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

saw it tonight i thought it was very good..
Technically the movie is seamless Hollywood. Cinematography, editing and the score are all up to major release standards. The content of the film might be a bit much for some people: the language is often foul and there is some nudity and powerful sexual situations. The actors all did a great job with their characters.. there are almost no lines read by someone other then the main 4.. maybe 2 that i can remember.. the movie pretty much focuses all on dialogue and shows a couples relationship and their interaction with another 2 people over a period of about 4 years and tends to focus on pivatal points and their worst moments.. the movie is pretty much about sex, love, and relationships.... and it portrays a very real accurate view on all of it... this is NOT a hollywood love story.. it is far more raw.. Definantly not a movie for kids mainly because they wouldnt even understand it but the langauge is pretty bad... A lot of people could be bored by this movie.. but I thought it was very interesting and everything about it was done well especially with the absolutely great performances by, natalie, jude, julia, and clive... I dont know that Id take your bf or gf though cause it might make you think about some things lol..

id say 8ish-10

Old Post Dec 12th, 2004 09:06 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

I want to see it - but havent had a chance yet...
just saw in the preview that Natalie Portman had a certain look from The Professional

Old Post Dec 12th, 2004 09:07 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FireTiger

Going tomorrow to see it, yay! I love Jude Law

"Where you are seems to be, as far as an eternity." -Maroon 5

Old Post Dec 12th, 2004 09:18 AM
FireTiger is currently offline Click here to Send FireTiger a Private Message Find more posts by FireTiger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

quote:
Originally posted by MornGlory
I want to see it - but havent had a chance yet...
just saw in the preview that Natalie Portman had a certain look from The Professional

yea she has short black, brown, red, and pink hair, and longer blonde and brown hair in the film lol.. girl of many looks..

just rememberd a couple cool quotes from the film..

there not really plot spoilers but i guess they sorta could be..

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: natalie: ""lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off, but its more fun if you do"

Julia: Love bores you.
jude: No. It disappoints me

and my favorite

Clive owen: "god you have the face of an angel"
natalie portman: "thank you" (in stripper outfit aka a thong and bra)
clive: "whats your cun t taste like?"
natalie: "heaven"

Old Post Dec 12th, 2004 09:37 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

just saw Closer - and I thought Natalie portman was amazing

Old Post Dec 15th, 2004 01:59 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Andrew McLeod

Amazing acting. I'll post my review right now for all your viewing pleasure.

Love is an accident waiting to happen. Desire is a stranger you think you know. Intimacy is a lie we tell ourselves. Truth is a game you play to win. If you believe in love at first sight you never stop looking.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 10:35 PM
Andrew McLeod is currently offline Click here to Send Andrew McLeod a Private Message Find more posts by Andrew McLeod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Andrew McLeod

Closer

Closer

-a harsh and realistic account of the calamities that befall the naive and unfaithful.

What can I say? I absolutely loved this movie. It made love seem so ugly and hurtful, which it can be at times. There was no sugarcoating and the movie came across with such brutal honesty that it seemed shocking at times.

Dan meets Alice and falls in love. But Dan then meets Anna, who turns him down. Dan's venegeful trick leads to Anna and Larry falling in love. But Anna and Dan still have this infactuation towards each other. Larry thinks he's in love with Alice who's still with Dan. Where's this complicated situation to lead? It's fun to watch these people follow their every passion and lust only to be crushed with each plot turn. It seems like a call to control your lusts and focus on making faithful relationships work.

The acting was top notch and the writing was really good with such sharp wit and believablity. The movie had a very artistic feel to it and many of the shots in the movie was incredibly breathtaking in terms of cinematography. One thing that got on my nerves was the characters, none of them really seemed to earn my sympathy with the exception of Alice. That is until the end when a big plot twist was explosed. Either way that was a small thing, perhaps it was needed to keep the movie as harsh as possible and avoid us getting attached to characters (which leads to sappiness).

The movie was rated 14A here in Canada, which seemed a fair bit lax when I saw it. I was shocked at the amount of explicit sexual dialogue in the film in conjunction with it's 14A rating. But only when thinking of the rating, I guess Canada's just not as tight with ratings these days.

A definate 10/10 from me.

Love is an accident waiting to happen. Desire is a stranger you think you know. Intimacy is a lie we tell ourselves. Truth is a game you play to win. If you believe in love at first sight you never stop looking.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 11:01 PM
Andrew McLeod is currently offline Click here to Send Andrew McLeod a Private Message Find more posts by Andrew McLeod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 26th, 2004 06:06 AM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Would one classify 'Closer' as a chick flick?

Old Post Jan 14th, 2005 10:08 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

I'll probably end up renting it.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 12:35 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Ditto, just b/c Natalie Portman has grown on me since "Garden State".

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 12:37 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

Blah another pointless movie that should had flaped.But it did not.JM

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 11:20 PM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

You saw it, Jackie?

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 11:50 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Review: Closer

Stars: Jude Law, Julia Roberts, Clive Owen & Natalie Portman.

Synopsis: A story of heartbreak revolving around the intertwined love lives of the four main characters.

Review: When I first heard about Closer I have to say I thought of it as a rather odd movie, the premise seemed very… pointless. The movie itself is a strange combination of scenes; I thought there was very little sense of continuity, people moving back and forth between relationships at the drop of a hat. The characters themselves weren’t exactly likable, being unbelievably two faced, going from desperate ‘I can’t live without you’ phases, to ‘f*ck off and die’ phases. Each character suffered from this affliction and this struck me as being unbelievably shallow.

Roberts plays her usual ‘caught in the middle’ character, no stretch for her at all, and her performance is the same as we always expect. Law seems to be the shallowest of all; he spends the movie whining and bitching and causes the downfall of almost every relationship in the entire movie. Portman starts off as the sweetest thing, and spends most of the movie that way bar one or two scenes. The only one who seemed to completely revel in his role was Clive Owen (an actor who I never rated, and yes I saw Croupier), playing an absolute b*stard, and he absolutely loves it, a pretty decent performance in my opinion, for once.

I personally enjoyed this movie for the fact that I laughed at lines that weren’t supposed to be funny. Owen’s brashness really shines through, as does Portman’s loveability.

Positives: Some good performances by most of the cast, and decent direction, cinematography, and sound.

Negatives: Could have been a whole lot better in my opinion.

Rating: 8/10

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 02:58 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
Blah another pointless movie that should had flaped.But it did not.JM

You shouldn't base your opinion on a movie that you havn't even seen.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 04:11 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

quote:
Originally posted by JKozzy
Would one classify 'Closer' as a chick flick?

far from it a chick flick would be more like legaly blonde or win a date with tod hamilton.. just because its main point is relationships doesnt have to make it a chick flick i dont think

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 10:07 AM