KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Most Influential Film in History?

Most Influential Film in History?
Started by: Mane

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

Most Influential Film in History?

I was thinking about what it would be. Heres the list of movies that I think have had a huge impact on society:

Star Wars
Roots
Dr. Zhivago
Citizen Kane
Schindler's List
Gone With the Wind -?

Help me out.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 06:22 AM
Mane is currently offline Click here to Send Mane a Private Message Find more posts by Mane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Psycho
Friday the 13th (it started the slasher fad of the 80's)

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 06:31 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

Star Wars
Pysco
Schindler's List
Bride of Frankenstein..
Lord of the Rings
OMG there are so many... I dont want to take the time to list them all

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 06:36 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillTheLight
=bound by wild desire=

Godfather trilogy
2001 a space odyssey
Shawshank redemption
Pulp Fiction

This afternoon with you was something like a letter
The kind that someone writes but never sends

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 06:36 AM
KillTheLight is currently offline Click here to Send KillTheLight a Private Message Find more posts by KillTheLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

You think "Pulp Fiction" was influential.. huh Maybe to independent filmmakers, just to encourage them that anything is possible, but Tarantino's works are nothing but citings of his influences.

"Touch of Evil", while I am not a fan of his movies, was a prime example of Orson Welle's brand of cinematography. The all important cinematic visual narrative, which is still alive and well today, most recently in "Dawn of the Dead" (2004).

I think each genre has a handful of quintessential influential films. The Marx Brothers were gods of slapstick comedy, which evolved into the modern day parody. Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" was one of the earliest films to exploit the science of androids, playing a MAJOR role in Sci Fi's birth, and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" was the slingshot for the Horror and Suspense movies. All of which are just as effective today.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 06:50 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Night of the Living Dead

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 07:00 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Friday the 13th (it started the slasher fad of the 80's)

I thought Halloween came out first?
quote:
Originally posted by MornGlory
Star Wars
Pysco
Schindler's List
Bride of Frankenstein..
Lord of the Rings
OMG there are so many... I dont want to take the time to list them all

Lord of the Rings is too new to have any kind of major impact. It might have impacted the 3 years it took to be realeased as a trilogy. laughing out loud

And Bride of Frankenstein? huh There are so many more classic that have been more influential.
quote:
Originally posted by KillTheLight
Godfather trilogy
2001 a space odyssey
Shawshank redemption
Pulp Fiction

Shawshank is newer. It's not that famous, and you don't see much if it's influences around today. Bad choice I'm afraid... and like Cory said, Tarantino said himself that he steals everyone elses ideas.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 07:08 AM
Mane is currently offline Click here to Send Mane a Private Message Find more posts by Mane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by Mane
I thought Halloween came out first?

Well, Slipknot said slasher movies pertaining to the 80's, "Halloween" debuted in 1978, same year as "Dawn of the Dead". "Psycho" unjustly gets the quintessential slasher movie nod, but rather unfairly, IMO.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 07:19 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes Halloween came out, but right after Friday the 13th came out we were bombarded with slasher flicks.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 07:29 AM
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

And the lovely Black Christmas came out before Halloween, but yes, I know what you mean with the slasher and 80's thing.

I will be back with my contribution.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 04:45 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deathblow
-

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
You think "Pulp Fiction" was influential.. huh Maybe to independent filmmakers, just to encourage them that anything is possible, but Tarantino's works are nothing but citings of his influences.

I'm pretty positive that Tarantino's work will become very influential in the near future, Pulp Fiction in particular.

You could say that any really great movie is influential, because if they are really great, people are bound to copy them. Take The Matrix, that's a fairly new movie, and it was influenced by all manor of things, but it's already changed the way we look at sci-fi & action movies completely.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 04:52 PM
Deathblow is currently offline Click here to Send Deathblow a Private Message Find more posts by Deathblow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

American History X
Malcom X
Roots
Citizen Cane
Swing Kids

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 05:00 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

The original James Bond is one of the many films.

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 05:11 PM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nah that pertains more in Europe. I'm talking about American society.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 05:22 PM
angelsflame265
la la la lalaaaa

Wizard of Oz
Star Wars

and others but i can't think of it right now

Offical Country Music Lover of Ravenclaw

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 05:25 PM
angelsflame265 is currently offline Click here to Send angelsflame265 a Private Message Find more posts by angelsflame265 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

quote:
Originally posted by Mane
Nah that pertains more in Europe. I'm talking about American society.

Well I don't know about you, but I think James Bond influenced countless action films and others here in America.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 05:40 PM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

^ I agree...

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 06:04 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I'm thinking Mane was referring to spy movies in general, which there aren't really a lot of.

It's pretty much the basis of the "Austin Powers" franchise.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 06:10 PM
Mane
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well sure, 007 has influenced espionage films, but like Cory said, there aren't that many in America.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 06:15 PM
Praylu

Well in my oppinion it also had inluence on films like XXX which is spawning a sequel.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2005 06:19 PM