KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review: Layer Cake

Review: Layer Cake
Started by: GCG

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
GCG
Red Bull

L4yer Cake

Layer Cake a Retirement Plan

(please log in to view the image)

Directed : Matthew Vaughn
Writing credits : J.J. Connolly

Genre: Thriller / Crime / Action

Cast:

Daniel Craig.....XXXX
Tom Hardy .... Clarkie
Jamie Foreman .... Duke
Sally Hawkins .... Slasher
Burn Gorman .... Gazza
George Harris .... Morty
Tamer Hassan .... Terry
Colm Meaney .... Gene
Marcel Iures .... Slavo
Francis Magee .... Paul the Boatman
Dimitri Andreas .... Angelo
Kenneth Cranham .... Jimmy Price
Garry Tubbs .... Brian
Nathalie Lunghi .... Charlie
Marvin Benoit .... Kinky (as Marvyn Benoit)

Review

(please log in to view the image)

The Layer Cake is the ladder. When you are young you keep getting **** in your face. When you are older, you get some **** in your face but not as much as before. Through experience you learn that the smell of **** is not good for you until you get so high up in the cake that on its top layer you don’t even know what is **** anymore.

When I say **** I mean crossing and double crossings; and this film has plenty of it.

XXXX (Daniel Craig) is out of jail after being locked up. In his early days he was involved in the Marijuana and LSD biz. As he narrates it in the beginning of the film, explaining why investing in the top class drugs is good for retirement, he has a perspective that one day drugs will be legalized and sold as the common products in the pharmacies. At this point the camera strolls along brightly lit shelves of FCUK Marijuana, FCUK ecstasy, FCUK cocaine…..etc until they become all normal products of today’s chemists.

Contrasting to Lock, Stock and Snatch, this film is particularly focused on XXXX’s life. It does give an insight into the other character’s life but it’s either a shallow one or as I’m thinking its down into The Man With No Name.

Although his plans seem to go well, that is avoiding an inconspicuous life, holding a regular job and always paying cash up front he gets drawn to a meeting with boss Jimmy Price (Kenneth Cranham) who has a job for him: find and bring back the daughter of Eddie Temple (Michael Gambon) another crime boss. He has also the task to obtain a copious amount of Ecstasy, stolen by Duke’s (Jaime Foreman) wannabe gang.

As events unfold the tasks complicate themselves (who would have thought of that!) a stern warning from Temple who plays a recording of Price mentioning who is expendable, the murder of Jimmy Price (some excellent camera work with the zoom and music), a Serbian killer unleashed onto XXXX, a plan to recover pills and some good old fashioned violence.

The shot in which Morty gets his back in the café is pure VENGEANCE. It reminded me of Big Chris slamming the car door on dog’s head. For those who haven’t seen it, its putting the camera in position as if it’s the victim face. Makes me wonder what they use; they surely don’t smash up a camera for that scene.

I’ve been told that the book is far more better parts are missing from it. Like the part it explains into every detail how they killed him and what they used (using almost a whole chapter) only to find out at the end that they were talking about a dog!

So does XXXX retire? Oh yes he does retire

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 03:48 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eggmayo

So is it worth watching?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 12:01 PM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

fecking right !

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 12:11 PM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eggmayo

In the same style as Lock Stock and Snatch?
They're two of my favourite films.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 05:26 PM
eggmayo is currently offline Click here to Send eggmayo a Private Message Find more posts by eggmayo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

Well this is more focused on XXXX's life ;
there is less comedy in this IMO.

if you remember soap in lock stock, well he is in it as well; in a completly different role to that of a chef. you prolly will say 'Ha ha check out what he's become'

But if you watch it expecting it to be like Lock Stock & Snatch you may be very well disappointed.

BTW , Dog Soldiers was great !

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 10:59 PM
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

I am going to check this movie out.I wil have to watch it with my boyfriend through at his house since no rated r movies are allowed!JM

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2005 12:50 AM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I saw 'Layer Cake' last night. I thought it was an interesting and fun genre piece. I don't think too much time shoudl be spent on the enigma of the lead-character's name, though.

As for the 'Lock, Stock' and 'Snatch' comparisons, I'd have to say that it is a little more sophisticated than those movies.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2005 01:29 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote