KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Natural City

Natural City
Started by: JKozzy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Arrow Natural City

Has anyone seen this movie? I've been intrigued with it for quite some time now, but haven't been able to find it in the States for some obvious reasons. A futuristic South Korean film, it's a very beautiful looking movie, with what seems to be a complex sci-fi plot. Has anyone been fortunate enough to see it, or at least know what movie I'm talking about?

Natural City

(please log in to view the image)
CAST & CREW__________

Director:
Min Byeong-cheon (Phantom, The Submarine, 1999)

Screenwriter(s):
Min Byeong-cheon (Phantom, The Submarine, 1999)

Actors:
Yu Ji-tae
Seo Rin
Lee Jae-eun
Yun Chan
Go Ju-heui
Jeong Du-hong
Jeong Eun-pyo
Shin Gu
Yun Ju-sang
Kim Eul-dong
Eom Chun-bae
Eun Weon-jae
Kang Seon-pil
Kim Hyo-seon
Choi Eun-jin
Lee Gi-hyeong
Ryu Tae-ung
Choi Gwang-heui

SYNOPSIS __________

Plot:
It is AD 2080, the world has become a high-tech information society where national boundaries may have disintegrated but has been restructured as nation-states interconnected by a huge network. Genetic engineering and Mechanical engineering has reached its peak enabling the world to modify clone human DNA by a neuro-chip. Hence, a neuro-chip geared human clone with artificial intelligence, "Combiner" is born and these Combiners become integral parts of human life.

Constant war between the nation-states and the rapid scientific growth intensifies the gulf between the rich and poor. The poor gather at the outskirts of the city and create a slum district built on the water called "Raiha". Meanwhile, the Combiners develop an effect called "Split Dubbing" whereby their souls merge through unknown channels. The split dubbed Combiners AWOL and create new social problems. A unit of MPs is formed to eliminate the AWOL Combiners. Among them is R (25yrs, male) who falls in love with complimentary service Combiner, Lea.

DETAILS__________

Studio:
Tube Entertainment / Jowoo production

Release Date:
South Korea, Sept. 2003
DVD REGION 3 January 20, 2004
Natural City (2 discs) --- click here for DVD details

BUZZ__________

Oct. 16, 2003
"Many of South Korean cinema's current strengths (concept, character, structure) have strangely deserted it in big budget productions, and the dark, dystopian "Natural City" is no exception. Sophomore pic by writer-director Min Byeong-cheon ("Phantom, the Submarine," 1999) crashed and burned at the box office within days of its release in late September, partly due to a bungled marketing campaign which swung between two extremes -- a scifi action drama a la "Blade Runner" and a fanciful futuristic romance. Offshore, however, this still has considerable potential as a cult ancillary title and late-night fest attraction.

Unlike other recent Korean bombs, such as the promising "Yesterday" and irredeemable "Resurrection of the Little Match Girl," both of which suffered from lack of producer control, "Natural City" was remolded following previews, with considerable trimming. Final result, though flawed by a weak central relationship, at least has a strong personality of its own and doesn't tarry. When it works, it works well on a genre level." ---- By DEREK ELLEY, VARIETY

Information found here

Official Site (not sure if it's still functioning)

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 09:44 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

lol you said it was a japanese movie before, and now I see all those korean names... it does look interesting though

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 09:46 PM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Heh, that's when I had forgotten the name and where I had heard about it. I knew it wasn't english, at least give me credit for that stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 09:47 PM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I have it on dvd, yet to watch it though, suppose to be a decent film from Korea, the effects for one, basically its been described as a 'Korean Blade Runner'.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 12:06 AM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Mm. I heard that too. But someone has to get their inspirations from someone else, it's sometimes unfortunate they just stereotype a movie as "another Matrix" or a "Star Wars clone", because sure, ideas may have contributed to its making, but it's still its own movie. MildPossession, watch it and get back to me on how it is smile

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 12:50 AM
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MildPossession
I have it on dvd, yet to watch it though, suppose to be a decent film from Korea, the effects for one, basically its been described as a 'Korean Blade Runner'.
MildPossession, have you watched it yet?

And has anyone heard of an english dub of the movie out or planned?

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 09:22 PM