KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » "Casablanca"

"Casablanca"
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Warning "Casablanca"

No "Casablanca" thread before now? For shame, people! No appreciation for the greats, I suppose.

Anyway, I took this one in this evening and I must say that I enjoyed it. I never find myself being too critical of the classics because when compared to today's fare, they are, for the most part, so flawless in their execution and delivery that there's little room for error. Especially starring screen legends like Humphrey Bogart, whom I am developing an appreciation for.

For those not familiar with the movie, "Casablanca" is a desert like place, home to many an American refugee. Among them is Rick Blaine, a loose cannon who runs a popular cafe/night spot in town. He just so happens to be in posession of two highly sought after letters of transit. Two tickets from perilous exile to sweet freedom. Rick's old flame, Isla, shows up in Casablanca with her love, Czech underground leader, Lazslo. As hard an egg to crack as Richard may be, will he crumble under Isla's spell, knowing he's holding the cards, or will he dash on her as she did to him one rainy night in Paris.

I haven't seen many movies that have portrayed the real meaning of intrigue and suspense as "Casablanca" did. Bogart's character was stone faced, never budging, except around Isla. He know he could help Isla, and the man whom he admired, but knowing Rick and his demeanor, the guesswork was neverending, and so effective. In the meantime, there was a harrowing love story interwoven, which was not so much sappy as it was "what could have been", testing the limits of a man whos loved and lost.

The ending was superb, totally unpredictable, and so out of the ordinary for the cliche romantic film. But, for those who have seen it, we all know that Bogie did the right thing.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Jan 30th, 2005 at 06:48 AM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2005 06:43 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Great movie. It is pretty amazing how many quotes have been taken from Casablanca.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Old Post Jan 30th, 2005 06:48 AM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Havent seen it embarrasment

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Jan 30th, 2005 07:05 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

"Play it again sam!"I seened parts of it but not the whole thing I like it through it was pretty good!JM

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2005 01:46 PM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
"Play it again sam!"

Which was never spoken in the film. The lines were as follows:

"Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By" - Isla

"Play it Sam. You play it for her and now you'll play it for me. If she can stand it I can." - Rick

Old Post Jan 30th, 2005 03:55 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

it is one of the most sad movies i've ever seen

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Jan 30th, 2005 04:20 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."

^ Booger says it best...

A movie that is so rich in quotable dialogue, that the actual achievments of the film itself are occasionally forgotten...

Classic stuff.

Ou, Ou, Ou is all you Need...

Old Post Jan 31st, 2005 05:39 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Which was never spoken in the film. The lines were as follows:

I bet you were just waiting for someone to say that!

Old Post Jan 31st, 2005 05:40 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

It was inevitable. My loins were moist with anticipation.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2005 05:43 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Well I saw when I was a little kid because my step-father is a huge Bogart fan. Hasnt Bogart been labelled as one of the best actor's of 1900's ? Because I remember the African Queen which I felt was a great movie.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2005 07:28 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corran
Lucifer

Great film with the delectable Ingrid Bergman, and Bogart is definately one of the coolest cookies in the cookie Jar

Old Post Jan 31st, 2005 01:47 PM
Corran is currently offline Click here to Send Corran a Private Message Find more posts by Corran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlondeBombshell

God I have seen Casablanca about a MILLION ZILLION times, and I love it more every time. It's great when you get to the point where you know all the lines, every camera angle, every outfit Ingrid wears, etc...

Also, try anothe Bogart Bacall classic, "To Have and Have Not", that's just as great, and they fell in love during the film!!!

Old Post Feb 1st, 2005 05:14 PM
BlondeBombshell is currently offline Click here to Send BlondeBombshell a Private Message Find more posts by BlondeBombshell Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
scubamonkey

Very good movie. I actually just watched it a couple of years ago for my first time. It was amazing how many lines I knew from 'Casablanca' without having seen it before.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2005 06:43 PM
scubamonkey is currently offline Click here to Send scubamonkey a Private Message Find more posts by scubamonkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

This movie is good a little overrated just like Gone with the Wind. But is worth watching.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2005 01:52 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
This movie is good a little overrated just like Gone with the Wind. But is worth watching.

Both Gone with the Wind and Casablanca need to be appreciated in the context of when they were made. Both of them were unique for their time and many subsequent films have drawn hugely from their influence.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2005 04:23 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

From a historic film industry perspective I say yes is a great influence. Storyline and characters maybe not.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2005 05:04 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
Storyline and characters maybe not.

I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 09:13 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

If you like the characters and the storyline then that's your taste. If you don't then I guess you just don't and move onto something else.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2005 09:59 PM
bakerboy

Casablanca and gone with the wind overrated??? Please, both are two of the best movies in cinema story, the script the direction and the acting are unbeatable. And about characters, could be better characters than Scarlett O'Hara, Reth Butler, Rick or Ilsa? Please, give me a break.

John Lennon, Musical genius of all time

Helen Mirren and Julie Christie , most lovely british actresses of all time.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2005 07:24 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gentmax

I think that they could have spent a little more money on the special effects area. Not enough explosions.

stick out tongue Just Kidding!!

I saw it for the first time just a couple of years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The classics are refreshing for having to actually rely on Story and Dialogue and Acting, as opposed to Eye Candy and Noise.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2005 05:23 PM
gentmax is currently offline Click here to Send gentmax a Private Message Find more posts by gentmax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote