KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Review : Dawn of the Dead 2004

Review : Dawn of the Dead 2004
Started by: Soth

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Dawn of the Dead 2004

Dawn of the Dead (Remake, 2004)
Starring: Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames, Jake Weber, Mekhi Phifer

Directed by: Zack Snyder

Written by: James Gunn

Pre-review: I saw the original a few years ago, and when I learned they were making a remake, I was excited. I must say I was not disappointed.

My Initial Reaction: "Wow.......this is one kick@$$ movie!"

What was good: Opening sequence was killer, it hooked me right in. Like my all-time fave horror movie Scream, this was a seamless blend of horror, action and comedy, which makes an awesome movie IMHO. The special effects were great, makeup was perfect.

Things that I liked: [SPOILER - highlight to read]: The bus scene, where they finally escaped the mall, anything that involved Andy, the gunshop owner, the three security guards, and Steve (Ty Burrell)

What was bad: They left little time at all for character development, and what little time they utilized seemed rushed and not well thought-out. Other than that, I can't think of anything

Things that bugged the heck out of me: Nicole and the dog

Original/Remake comparison: I thought that this was a suitable tribute to the original, but it distances itself enough to make it a good stand-alone movie. It was the original story with a modern twist.

Final: 9/10 thumb up

I reccommend this to all horror fans

Last edited by Strangelove on Mar 23rd, 2004 at 03:08 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2004 02:56 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amlap
this guy

f*ck nicole! mad

NUFF SAID!

Old Post Mar 24th, 2004 02:57 AM
amlap is currently offline Click here to Send amlap a Private Message Find more posts by amlap Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SlipknoT
Restricted

Account Restricted

Andy was cool

Rob Owns You, Barbarossa, Tired Hiker, Fearnix, Ronny, Raven Guardia, Wolflet, DEM, spidergrl, Dr. Strangelove, eggmayo, Filth, Korri, JM, Ken Kenobi, ~Sir Mist~, Lana

Old Post Mar 24th, 2004 03:50 AM
SlipknoT is currently offline Click here to Send SlipknoT a Private Message Find more posts by SlipknoT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zilverz

quote:
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Andy was cool

Yes he was! I like when Ken [SPOILER - highlight to read]: said "Andy!, Im sorry brother" and blasted his head off gave him some respect.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2004 04:48 AM
Zilverz is currently offline Click here to Send Zilverz a Private Message Find more posts by Zilverz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

[color=limegreen]out of the characters, I think I liked the security guards the best. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: CJ was a bastard at first, Bart was a bastard who got eaten, and Terry was the sympathetic young guy stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 24th, 2004 05:47 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zilverz

I just watched Dawn of the dead 2004 film a second time. My brother and friend wanted to see it so i went for a second ride. Awesome movie!

Something I just picked up this 2nd time around though. At the very begining when Ana is in the hospital talking to the doctor, the doctor is on the phone trying to convience his buddy to go golfing with him and "steve". His friend is reluctant to going since "steve" is going. Is what you derive from that scene. It just so happens that there is a "Steve" at mall that is obnoxious and is golfing on the roof (;

Old Post Mar 25th, 2004 08:14 PM
Zilverz is currently offline Click here to Send Zilverz a Private Message Find more posts by Zilverz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roundisfunny

Hmm...it's fun subtleties like that which make the movie worth repeated viewings.

Speaking of CJ, though, I thought that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: there wasn't enough of a transition from a-hole to hero; he should have done something noble halfway through to restore everyone's faith in him BEFORE he joined their team officially.

Raising Arizona, 1987

Last edited by Kes on Mar 26th, 2004 at 10:05 PM

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 05:17 AM
roundisfunny is currently offline Click here to Send roundisfunny a Private Message Find more posts by roundisfunny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowSorciere

Zilverz Oh yeah! That's right, I hated Steve though, he was an A$$, and surprisingly he got some...

http://www.fanfiction.net/~demonicgambit

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 05:30 AM
ShadowSorciere is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowSorciere a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowSorciere Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

An @$$, yes. But a hilarious @$$. I love smartasses llike him laughing

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 05:43 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by roundisfunny
Hmm...it's fun subtleties like that which make the movie worth repeated viewings.

Speaking of CJ, though, I thought that [SPOILER - highlight to read]: there wasn't enough of a transition from a-hole to hero; he should have done something noble halfway through to restore everyone's faith in him BEFORE he joined their team officially.

Well, this is the way I saw C.J. (easily my favorite character)..

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: When he had his ass handed to him on the rooftop, he knew that he was outnumbered, and that he had no choice but to work as part of the team. Gradually, he softened up. And of course by the end, he made the ultimate sacrifice, of course he had some choice words which was his trademark, and way of showing that he still never really was a "real hero". I'm cool with a reluctant hero, cuz it's his actions that count.

That said, I've been twice. I am sure I'll get the craving to go see it one more time before it's gone.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 06:15 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The movie was well made, but not nearly as strong, or well made as the original. The original was filled with social commentary and took tremendous talent and skill to make comprehendable and poignant. The remake was neat, fun, and entertaining, but nothing more. The character development was a minority compared to the other, shallower aspects of the film. If this is what you like in a zombie movie then you'll like this movie. If you want a good, strong film that will make you think then this movie will not satisfy your mental cravings.

That being said, the zombie baby was horrible to the point of being offensive. It didn't fit in a movie which was obviously meant to be taken seriously. It worked in Dead Alive because the whole movie was silly, and it almost made fun of itself with that scene. Dawn of the Dead just hurt itself with that scene, which served no purpose whatsoever other then being stupid.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 07:21 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

II don't think that scene was stupid. i'm sure exactly what i think or what exactly to say, but I'll come up with something (likely long after this part of the conversation is dead and buried)

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 07:31 PM
BackFire

Sorry, it was stupid, everyone I saw it with agreed it was the lowest point of the film and served no purpose.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 09:15 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

~shrug~ maybe it is and I'm just stupid too Happy Dance

Old Post Mar 26th, 2004 11:42 PM
BackFire

It's the the scenes stupidity actually, it really doesn't fit into the feel of the rest of the film. It was a serious film, and it is simply hard to take a zombie baby seriously.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2004 12:39 AM
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Ah, now I know what to say to this. The zombie baby wasn't supposed to be taken as a serious threat to them. It was a sort of a personifcation of the evil of the virus. So low that it would strike at the most innocent of the living

Old Post Mar 27th, 2004 05:54 AM
BackFire

Yeah, I know what is was symbolizing, but a zombie baby is still a bad idea. I know it wasn't meant to be taken as a serious threat, that's not what I meant by 'taken serously'. I just meant that it was too silly and ruined the mood of the film.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2004 05:58 AM
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

I'm not sure about the silly part, and I'm not sure that it ruined to mood at all, but I'll agree that it was unnecessary

Old Post Mar 27th, 2004 06:52 AM
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

I went to see it last night and was quite impressed with the film, as I thought it would be poor.

Fave bit: The rifle on the roof

Funniest moment: The fat bird being wheeled in a wheelbarrow (I couldn't stop laughing at that)

Character most obviously a zombie, noticed way before any of the half-brained characters: Already mentioned fat chick, looking quite ill with shades of grey and green to her complexion. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Mar 28th, 2004 07:09 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel Racer
Webmaster

this movie was rather amazing. i truely wonder i they shot some of those "running the people over" scenes....

Imagine what you'll "know" tomorrow.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2004 12:28 AM
Rebel Racer is currently offline Click here to Send Rebel Racer a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel Racer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote