KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » "Punch Drunk Love"

"Punch Drunk Love"
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

"Punch Drunk Love"

Well, this past week I've been battling severe chest congestion, which brought about a lot of fatigue and panic attacks, the likes of which I am surprised I am still alive after, given my tendency to worry about things. That said, I took it easy this afternoon on my big, comfy, black, leather sofa and spent some quality time with Mr. Adam Sandler, watching Paul Thomas Anderson's "Punch Drunk Love". It was so refreshing to see a string of movies which I absolutely adored, the first being "SLC Punk!".

In "Punch Drunk Love", Sandler plays Barry Egan, a small business owner with a personality unlike any other character I've seen before. Imagine Milton from "Office Space" with the potentially dangerous homicidal tendencies of Bruce Banner, transforming into the most unassuming Hulk ever, and you have Barry. Now, Barry was raised around 7, yes, seven sisters, all of which are more or less "normal", and have given Barry shit since day one.

Barry stumbles upon a harmonium on his way to work, and in that same day, meets the love of his life in Lena Leonard, played by Emily Watson (Blind chick from "Red Dragon", anyone?) The harmonium signifies a little foreshadowing in regards to Mr. Egan's personal life. The rest is history. Barry tries his hardest to get the girl, keep his personal life personal, aaaaand buy enough Healthy Choice meals to snag a couple of tickets to Hawaii. It's a story, and movie, like no other.

As cliche as it may sound, the cinematography in this one was ace as well. Odd contrasts, a few examples of REALLY striking black and white "shadow" filming, first person P.O.V's, in addition to a handful of overall really creative shots. Sandler proved he can actually act in this one, and when you toss in a genuine original in the story, Emily Watson, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman in a supporting role, you've got all the makings of a REALLY underated, underappreciated piece of art.

I highly suggest this one for those looking for a truely unique viewing experience, and a fantastic, character driven film. Especially for those who doubt Sandler's dramatic acting chops.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Apr 8th, 2005 at 02:26 AM

Old Post Apr 8th, 2005 02:23 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I could never get into this movie.
The scenes with his sister's were very depressing and I couldnt really watch that due to similar circumstances in my life.
It looked really good and Sandler was excellent though.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2005 02:56 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

I'll tell you why I liked this movie, and maybe, Cory, you could relate to this.

I had surgery on Aug. 1, 2003 and they knocked me out. Did they ever. But anyways, when my girlfriend drove me home, aside from picking up prescriptions from CVS, we rented this movie. I was on another level (literally) and we watched the movie immediately after getting home. And I loved it. Thank you, WakeMed, for my $700 anesthesia.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2005 11:21 AM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yeah, it was a cool movie, Sandler showed what he's capable of, that's for sure.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2005 08:13 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

not P T Anderson's best work but good all the same... it certainly does prove Sandler can do dramatic roles, and the PTA has balls

Old Post Apr 8th, 2005 09:29 PM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

All his stuff is ballsy.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2005 11:10 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

I hated the movie ; besides Sandler's role mostly revolves around a guy who has difficutly building a relationship with the fairer sex.

Genre: Comedy

Comedy ? COMEDY ??
I be missing something , coz i didnt see any comedy except Luis Guzman.

Paul Thomas Anderson must be trying to open a genre for himself. he struggled to put the pieces togheter of his 'Punch Drunk Love' concept.

He wrote it himself didnt he; im wondering what came to mind first:

" How do I exploit Sandler's charcter?

Oh ! I know! lets make a weak character rise up and shine to its malefactors"

and then proceeded to write his crap.

On a positive note:

The parts in which Sandler's persona (Barry Egan) gets into uncomfortable situations that he is confronted by his sister at the warehouse & talking to Dean
Trumbell (Philip Seymour Hoffman) on the phone are accompanied by an escalating cacophonic clash of instruments that , as i get it , parallel Egan's discomfort. That is when u compare to the Romantic clips which on the contrary make more sense to Barry's troubles by putting him at ease

isnt it always the same line tough: Sandler always portrays a person who has a troubled love life with a 'lived happily ever after' ending.

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Apr 8th, 2005 11:57 PM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Boy
Kevski

Ummm GCG... i don't wanna alarm you... but Punch Drunk Love.... is not a comedy!!!

I think its fantastic, with a very good performance from Adam Sandler too!

And get well soon Cinemaddiction!

www.myspace.com/throughsolace
Through Solace- The Stand out in March 08 on Holdfast Records

Old Post Apr 9th, 2005 12:05 AM
Bad Boy is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

but of course its not ; tell them

imdb : a 90-minute romantic comedy
amazon: a "strange romantic comedy,"
msn movies: Punch-Drunk Love, an odd romantic comedy
movie-reviews: Punch Drunk Love has been called a "romantic comedy",
geocites : Punch-Drunk Love has got to be the weirdest
romantic comedy to date

now lets not start bickering ffs. I based that comedy remark cause i was curious as to what other websites said after i watched the film and thats what i kept getting. i did not get why they said it was comedy.....

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Apr 9th, 2005 12:22 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

I thought PDL was great too...The cinematography was in the same vein as Willy Wonka...All prime colors and sharp maddness. Sandler was good, but I thought Phillip Seymour Hoffmon was excellent, although that's pretty much always the case.

As for the genre...who cares? For sake of argument, I'd say it was a quirky romantic film filled with comedic errors. I win!

Ou, Ou, Ou is all you Need...

Old Post Apr 9th, 2005 05:04 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

yeah... all those people are stupid, it aint a comedy

Old Post Apr 9th, 2005 06:11 AM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ou Be Low hoo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
yeah... all those people are stupid, it aint a comedy

And you are a beacon of enlightenment in this dull world.

Ou, Ou, Ou is all you Need...

Old Post Apr 9th, 2005 06:13 AM
Ou Be Low hoo is currently offline Click here to Send Ou Be Low hoo a Private Message Find more posts by Ou Be Low hoo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bad Boy
Kevski

Originally posted by GCG
but of course its not ; tell them

imdb : a 90-minute romantic comedy
amazon: a "strange romantic comedy,"
msn movies: Punch-Drunk Love, an odd romantic comedy
movie-reviews: Punch Drunk Love has been called a "romantic comedy",
geocites : Punch-Drunk Love has got to be the weirdest
romantic comedy to date

now lets not start bickering ffs. I based that comedy remark cause i was curious as to what other websites said after i watched the film and thats what i kept getting. i did not get why they said it was comedy.....

Ohhhhh! Sorry dood!

www.myspace.com/throughsolace
Through Solace- The Stand out in March 08 on Holdfast Records

Old Post Apr 9th, 2005 01:38 PM
Bad Boy is currently offline Click here to Send Bad Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Bad Boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bakerboy

The blind chick from red dragon is an excelent young british actress called emily watson, who is one of my favourite actresses. The girl is very talented and very pretty and cute at the same way. See her in breaking the wales for example, she is wonderful.

John Lennon, Musical genius of all time

Helen Mirren and Julie Christie , most lovely british actresses of all time.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2005 02:22 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bakerboy

And she is great in this movie too, as good or even better than sandler.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2005 02:23 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Err..that's a stretch. She was just a love interest, didn't really have any range.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2005 03:23 PM
Morpheus
The Gospel R3L0AD3D

raver Im have this film. Im going to watch it. raver

She doesn't quite chop your head off. She makes a Pez dispenser out of you.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2005 03:52 PM
Morpheus is currently offline Click here to Send Morpheus a Private Message Find more posts by Morpheus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bakerboy

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Err..that's a stretch. She was just a love interest, didn't really have any range.

What??? She was great, totally amazing.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2005 07:32 PM