KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Best war movies

Best war movies
Started by: PINBALL

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
PINBALL

Best war movies

What do you guys think are the best war movies of all time? :dance

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 12:33 AM
PINBALL is currently offline Click here to Send PINBALL a Private Message Find more posts by PINBALL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jnr hiphop
Some Guy

Hmm.. Probably Black Hawk Down for me..
Saving Private Ryan was pretty good too.. ^^
Platoon is the latest one that I've seen.. It was just alright..

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 01:12 AM
jnr hiphop is currently offline Click here to Send jnr hiphop a Private Message Find more posts by jnr hiphop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PRO-PAIN
PAIN...PRO-PAIN

The Longest Day
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
The Guns Of Navarrone
Sands Of Iwo Jima
Patton
The Great Escape
A Bridge Too Far
PT 109
The Flying Tigers
The Bridges at Toko-Ri
Raid On Rommel
Thin Red Line
The Deer Hunter
Hamburger Hill
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon
Apocolypse Now
Black Hawk Down
Behind Enemy Lines
Flight Of the Intruder
We Were Soldiers
The Bridge On The River Kwai
All Quiet On The Western Front
Guadalcanal Diary
Midway
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Pork Chop Hill
The Green Berets
Glory
Gettysburg
Braveheart
Troy

MY DVD COLLECTION UPDATED 4/24/05

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 01:25 AM
PRO-PAIN is currently offline Click here to Send PRO-PAIN a Private Message Find more posts by PRO-PAIN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jnr hiphop
Some Guy

Apocolypse Now Redux was suck.. I didn't like it at all..

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 01:52 AM
jnr hiphop is currently offline Click here to Send jnr hiphop a Private Message Find more posts by jnr hiphop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Star Wars lol

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 02:17 AM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jnr hiphop
Some Guy

LoL.. I'm sure you know what he means when he asks for the best war movies..

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 02:26 AM
PINBALL

Yeah my favorite are Saving Private Ryan Black Hawk down the band of brothers series and we were soldiers

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 03:08 AM
PINBALL is currently offline Click here to Send PINBALL a Private Message Find more posts by PINBALL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

"Black Hawk Down" isn't a war movie. It's about a downed chopper/failed rescue in Somalia. "Schindler's List", I wouldn't include that either, personally. That dealt more with the Holocaust than actual combat. "Full Metal Jacket", meh. The 2nd half of the film is the only part that deals with war, and honestly, it's not all that great. It's more an individual character study. "Apocalypse Now" bored me to tears, and that too was more of a character study in Sheen, and him witnessing the atrocities of war.

That said:

Tae Guk Gi (The Brotherhood of War)
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Pearl Harbor (**** you, I loved it)
Platoon
Manchurian Candidate (1962 - One of the few Cold War films)

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 03:53 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Platoon, hands down. The most realistic depiction of the Vietnam war ever in a film.

I also love Full Metal Jacket with a passion, but platoon is the better film.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 03:56 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

What about Pearl Harbour? laughing out loud

My vote goes to Platoon.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 04:12 AM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I said I loved "Pearl Harbor". I don't care what others think, honestly. If I did, I wouldn't have lasted here this long.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 05:10 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Keep in mind, the thread is "Best" war movie, not "Your favorite" war movies.

Pearl Harbour barely even falls in the "war movie" genre, it's more of a sappy soap opera love story with WW2 as a plot device.

Last edited by BackFire on Apr 20th, 2005 at 06:12 AM

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 06:08 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jnr hiphop
Some Guy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
"Black Hawk Down" isn't a war movie. It's about a downed chopper/failed rescue in Somalia. "Schindler's List", I wouldn't include that either, personally. That dealt more with the Holocaust than actual combat. "Full Metal Jacket", meh. The 2nd half of the film is the only part that deals with war, and honestly, it's not all that great. It's more an individual character study. "Apocalypse Now" bored me to tears, and that too was more of a character study in Sheen, and him witnessing the atrocities of war.

That said:

Tae Guk Gi (The Brotherhood of War)
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Pearl Harbor (**** you, I loved it)
Platoon
Manchurian Candidate (1962 - One of the few Cold War films)

Manchurian Candidate is a war film?

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 06:18 AM
PRO-PAIN
PAIN...PRO-PAIN

Originally posted by BackFire
Platoon, hands down. The most realistic depiction of the Vietnam war ever in a film.

I also love Full Metal Jacket with a passion, but platoon is the better film.

Have you ever seen Hamburger Hill? It's a more realistic version of Vietnam than either Platoon or Full Metal Jacket.

MY DVD COLLECTION UPDATED 4/24/05

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 06:28 AM
PRO-PAIN is currently offline Click here to Send PRO-PAIN a Private Message Find more posts by PRO-PAIN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by *LEGATO*
Manchurian Candidate is a war film?

The original 1962 version was themed around the Cold War. It's more "war" related in the political/conspiratorial sense, but is more of a war film than "Schindler's List", IMO.

Most new age "war" films, even those that are "true", have some sort of underlying story, no matter if it's sappy or dramatic, or all blood and guts. I still think "Pearl Harbor" is a war epic, because the main focus is the war itself, and considering the actual LENGTH of the damn thing, which can really only be rivaled by "A Bridge Too Far".

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 06:59 AM
BackFire

Originally posted by PRO-PAIN
Have you ever seen Hamburger Hill? It's a more realistic version of Vietnam than either Platoon or Full Metal Jacket.

Wasn't impressed by hamburger hill, platoon is known as the more realistic of the two. Everyone I know who was in the vietnam war says that it not only captures the insanity of the combat, but the self destructing mentality that a lot of people had. Plus everything that happened in Platoon happend to Oliver Stone while he was serving in the war.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 07:02 AM
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

yeah for me it'd be:
Saving Private Ryan
Platoon
Apocolypse Now
Hamburger Hill
Full Metal Jacket (despite the fact only half the movie was in the ACTUAL war, i still think they training half helped show the mentality and develop the characters)

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 09:00 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

There are really too many to mention

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 10:00 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

The Great Escape is a great movie.

For realism you'd have to go with Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and parts of Saving private Ryan.

Two of my favourites are also Patton and The Devil's Brigade.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 12:22 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cepheus

Platoon
Tears of the Sun
Pearl Harbour
Windtalkers

**** I love those four movies, there are other great war movies too, like:

Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 12:51 PM
Cepheus is currently offline Click here to Send Cepheus a Private Message Find more posts by Cepheus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote