KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Academy's ability to choose best picture

Academy's ability to choose best picture
Started by: mayor_gamgee

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mayor_gamgee

Academy's ability to choose best picture

In my opinion, the Academy has a screw loose when it comes to picking the Best Picture of the Year. Many awards seem to be turn based (i.e. Denzel's win for "Training Day," great actor that has been turned down before, and wins for a lowsy role). Many awards depend upon content. Take this years Best Picture, "Million Dollar Baby." Nothing spectacular plotwise, technicalwise, or emotional content-wise. The message of the movie however was controversial.

So a person must be able to assume that a BP win goes to the film that has the strongest content. This has proven untrue many times, but stays the course as the only way in which folks pick best flic.

The problem is then, that this would allow great films the opportunity at winning BP that never even enter consideration. It must be a combination of who you know and how much liberal ideas you put in your movies.

This being said, what should have taken Best Picture this year? My vote is "Sideways," plus a big fat Best Actor to Giamatti.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2005 07:25 PM
mayor_gamgee is currently offline Click here to Send mayor_gamgee a Private Message Find more posts by mayor_gamgee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I agree, I definately thinkg sideways shoulda won, as well as Giamatti, he was simply pure gold, as was the movie.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2005 07:31 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

It's all opinion, and that's why I hate the AA's.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2005 07:48 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlazingBarrells

I love watching the AA. Even though thier picks are lame, and many nominations hilarious, i still love watching what they "believe" is the best in film. Very interesting. I would love to sit in the boardroom as they vote and talk about the movies.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2005 07:57 PM
BlazingBarrells is currently offline Click here to Send BlazingBarrells a Private Message Find more posts by BlazingBarrells Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think they vote through mail.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2005 08:01 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: Academy's ability to choose best picture

quote: (post)
Originally posted by mayor_gamgee
In my opinion, the Academy has a screw loose when it comes to picking the Best Picture of the Year. Many awards seem to be turn based (i.e. Denzel's win for "Training Day," great actor that has been turned down before, and wins for a lowsy role). Many awards depend upon content. Take this years Best Picture, "Million Dollar Baby." Nothing spectacular plotwise, technicalwise, or emotional content-wise. The message of the movie however was controversial.

Oh well, too bad that is why I don't care for awards. I felt MDB was an excellent film. A few years ago Titanic was best picture of the year which I highly disagree. So it depends which film wins. But in reality it isn't important. What's important is if you enjoyed the film.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2005 11:34 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote