KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » What is the most important aspect of a film?

What is the most important aspect of a film?
Started by: jinXed by JaNx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jinXed by JaNx

What is the most important aspect of a film?

What do you think is the most important component of a movie, writing, editing, directing, acting,production or sound?

I think Directing is the strongest link of a film. A good director can make a talentless actor into having a strong screen presence. I also think that a good actor can carry a terrible movie. what does everyone think?

Old Post May 22nd, 2005 05:30 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Writing. Given you have a cast of actors that know what they're doing, as well as their material, they can usually adapt and make the movie.

Old Post May 22nd, 2005 05:45 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

I don't think there is one thing that is the most important, because obviously, it takes more than one thing to make a great movie. The storyline and the characters I think are at the top of the list though, because no matter how many dazzling effects or great directors you have, they won't make up for crap story or characters nobody has any interest in.

Old Post May 22nd, 2005 06:34 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I agree with Cinema the writing (especially the script) are vital for a movie. with a bad script you can have whatever actors you want it will still be a bad movie

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post May 22nd, 2005 06:44 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlazingBarrells

I agree with Cal31. But i am leaning towards the stronger parts of filmmaking. Writing AND Directing. I have seen either or carry a movie well beyond what it was supposed to be, many times.

Old Post May 22nd, 2005 06:55 AM
BlazingBarrells is currently offline Click here to Send BlazingBarrells a Private Message Find more posts by BlazingBarrells Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Well it appears that you guys are going with writing or directing.

Let me ask you this. An talented writer produces a decent script. an actor takes that script and transforms it into his own, well beyond anything the writer had anticipated. Is the greatness of this piece of work credited to the writer or actor? I believe good acting supersedes good writing. Good writing doesnt mean jack without acting to carry it or directing to inspire the actor to pull that talent out.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 12:47 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

There have been plenty of movies where the movie itself was shit, but there was a stand out performance. Deep in POTC for example. I know the role was probably written for him, but..man. That said, the credit goes to the actor, especially given nobody else stood out in the film.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 02:24 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

writing by far as long as they are using actual actors with talent

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 02:46 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

Pre-production with the 6 peas:

Proper
Preparation
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 03:06 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by GCG
Pre-production with the 6 peas:

Proper
Preparation
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance
laughing out loud

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 03:11 AM
GCG
Red Bull

let me tell you a story:

They were recruting for extras and there were about a 1000 in line going in a room 10 by 10.

The extras had to fill in a form with all their details and measurements. but the idiots did not leave any wardrobe staff to take the measurements. So the extras were to do it themselves. there were some inch-tapes.

One of the fields required 'inside leg'.

Unless you are capable of keeping your leg straight, it impossible to get the correct measurement.

So what where they doing ? they were taking their measurements from the inside leg (from the bollocks) and bending down to the achilles.

Inside Leg = 12 inches !

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 03:36 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

laughing

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 04:05 AM
BlazingBarrells

lolol thats funny, after reading rages remorses info. i do agree with him, slightly, there are soo many aspects of film that there is possibly no TRUE imoportant piece. Everything works hand in hand. and with POTC yes Johnny Depp did stand out quite amazingly, but i also loved Geoff Rushs character. Barbosa. He was quite the good pirate. Every movie that is worth calling a "classic" like Forrest Fump 4 example, has its one aspect that stands out for every individual. Obviously Tom Hanks. so yeah, umm, i dont know where to go from there, ill get back with yall on that one.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 05:40 PM
BlazingBarrells is currently offline Click here to Send BlazingBarrells a Private Message Find more posts by BlazingBarrells Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

I think writing, because the best characters have stories that seem to write themselves and make for interesting events.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 07:15 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@F1
Tomato Crisps

Jackie Chan: writes, Directs, acts and does his own stunts. OK maybe not the best at some of the aforementioned, but he does try.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 05:37 PM
@F1 is currently offline Click here to Send @F1 a Private Message Find more posts by @F1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Jackie chan probably tries harder than anyone else that has come through the film industry. Except for some of the earlier film makers who would tap dance on the steeple of 100 story buildings.

Jackie chan fall 300 feet and busted his head on a sharp rock. He was back to filming about a month later. As devoted as that is, the impressive part is that he did the same stunt that resulted in his 300 foot free fall, and pulled it off. Jackie chan may not be able to act or write, but he tries harder than anyone else. lol

Old Post May 25th, 2005 07:37 PM
forumcrew

300 feet and his head landed on a sharp rock? that = death

Old Post May 25th, 2005 07:58 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

I believe its acting. I mean with a good plot but bad dialogue a good actor can still pull it up some. Lets say you have a good plot bad dialogue and atrocious writing, that movies going no where.

Writing is definitely the next important aspect to me.

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 08:21 PM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@F1
Tomato Crisps

Jackie said "if the cameraman hadn't moved he could of pushed me, and helped break my fall, he never, he picked up the camera and ran. LOL.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 10:00 PM
@F1 is currently offline Click here to Send @F1 a Private Message Find more posts by @F1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nimbus006
Accuser

No! No! No! i will tell you all right now the most important part of a movie is the script. Without a good script you can put Dinero, Pachino, Crowe... whoever you want in the movie and its still gonna be crap. Now you have a good script and get 3 unknowns and still have a decent movie. How many movies have we seen with a great cast that were not so great movies ( i.e Oceans 12), yes great actors make the movie what it is and make it that much more special, but the quality of a movie comes from the script.

By: Juk

Old Post May 27th, 2005 07:28 PM
nimbus006 is currently offline Click here to Send nimbus006 a Private Message Find more posts by nimbus006 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote