KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movies with Best Cinematography

Movies with Best Cinematography
Started by: indie_director

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
indie_director
Your Worst Day Dream

Movies with Best Cinematography

Hey so, I just finished watching Kill Bill. Anyone who has seen it I think knows it has some amazing effin cinematography. You know, camera movement and placement. So here's what I want to know from you guys: What movie( s ) do you think has/ve the best cinematography. What film has the most innovative or interesting cinematography.

Here's another one. Cool movie moments. Like in Kill Bill vol. 1, when
O-ren Ishii and her bodyguards walk into the club, and that music plays. That's a pretty cool moment. So answer both questions. Happy Dance

[I.heart.a.guy.who.doesn't.heart.me]

[Shaped.By.Words.and.Coldfire.are.my.only.friends]

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 06:23 AM
indie_director is currently offline Click here to Send indie_director a Private Message Find more posts by indie_director Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

There is one really wicked shot in War of the Worlds (2005) when the family has stolen the van and is driving along the highway or whatever. The camera starts inside the car on the right side and focusses on the characters as they discuss what's going on. The car then swerves and the camera pulls back out of the right window and we see the van racing through stopped cars. The camera then comes around to outside the left window and focusses on the characters again as the talk some more and the camera continues to move right around the back of tha car and around to the front doing an almost-360. Finally the camera goes in through the front windscreen glass to a close up of Ray.

Wow, that was a long description... but a great piece of camera work. By having that one long sweeping shot Speilberg was able to have quite a bit of dialogue and not lose any tension. Very nicely done.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 07:11 AM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I think the cinematography in 'Punch-Drunk Love' is very original. For sheer beauty, you should ch-ch-check out 'The Thin Red Line' by Terence Malik. It's incredible. Also, anything by Kubrick.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 08:46 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

road to perdition has some amazing cinematography...

hero is also amazing

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 12:51 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Agree with Kubrick. In particular, Jack Nicholson's snow romp in "The Shining". Tracking from the front, while he's lumbering through the snow. Scary shit, and of course the framing w/ the elevator o' gore.

I didn't like the movie, but the opening sequence of "Touch of Evil" was sweet. It's heralded as some of the best visual narrative ever caught on film.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 01:29 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Unbreakable had some of the best cinematog. I have ever seen.

that also goes for the pianist and saving private ryan.

Collateral wasn't bad either.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 02:07 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

2001 space odyssey

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 02:37 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mandorallen
Unbreakable had some of the best cinematog. I have ever seen.

that also goes for the pianist and saving private ryan.

Collateral wasn't bad either.

M. Night's a great DOP. His framing goes unmatched, i.e. Father on the stairs in "Signs".

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 02:50 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

yup,

the village

unbreakable

signs

sixth sense.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 02:56 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Tim Burton usually always has some nice cinematography in his films. An excellent example is sleepy hollow. MAn on fire also had some nice cinematography.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 07:06 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
indie_director
Your Worst Day Dream

I agree with Devil DoDo on the WOTW shot, and especially Jaden and Hero, that was a great movie.

[I.heart.a.guy.who.doesn't.heart.me]

[Shaped.By.Words.and.Coldfire.are.my.only.friends]

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 09:20 PM
indie_director is currently offline Click here to Send indie_director a Private Message Find more posts by indie_director Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
MAn on fire also had some nice cinematography.

Oh god I loved how that film was shot, amazing to look at. Looks like Scott has gone with that type of cinematography/art direction for Domino too, can't wait.

Read someone say it was like a 'cinematic strobe light' the way the editing was done in the film, he was complaining, but I thought it was sublime to look at.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 10:22 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Don't know if this is to do with cinematography, but I love the colours in House of Flying Daggers.

On Signs: I don't like how all the shots looked set up. And I understand the reasoning behind doing this, but to me it just came off as kinda gimmicky. But maybe that's just me...

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 11:12 PM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

There are three films that I really think have incredible great cinematography. And quality directing of course. Very rare and rather hard to find on DVD. Also they are some of my personal favorites.

Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker

David Lynch's Eraserhead

E. Elias Merhige Begotten

All three films are visually subconscious and dreamlike. Memorable scenes and rather haunting images.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 11:47 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Eraserhead isn't rare, but good call, wonderful film.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2005 04:37 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

darren aronofsky has great talent in this deparment. pi, and requiem for a dream were great. Pi did become tedious, but things became refined by requiem

Old Post Aug 16th, 2005 05:46 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Requiem For A Dream is just dreamy to look at. Music score is just amazing too.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2005 05:49 PM
jinXed by JaNx

yeah, it does feel like a really vivid dream.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2005 05:52 PM
kimmeh
vixen

yeah some of the shots in Requiem are quite amazing... Its one the main things that makes that movie stand out IMO

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 11:50 PM
kimmeh is currently offline Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

agree with reageremorse on Man on Fire.

i would include City of God in there as well at the Amityville Horror of 1979. Some of the camera rotations seemes impossible

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 11:56 PM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote