KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » two part WWII epic

two part WWII epic
Started by: Rapscallion

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rapscallion

two part WWII epic

is anyone else excited as hell about these movies. the first entitled "flags for our fathers" tells the story of the six men who raised the flag at iwo jima and the effect it had on this country. the second film, is either called "Red Sun, Black Sand" or "Letters from Iwo Jima" and tells the story of the battle of Iwo Jima from the point of view from the Japonese. Clint eastwood directs, the film was co-wrote by william Broyles and paul Haggis, and produced by Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, and Rob Lorenz. It stars ryan Phillipe, Jaimie Bell, Paul Walker, Robert Patrick, and Barry Pepper. The Japonese film stars Ken Wantanabe.

Spielberg, Eastwood and Haggis are three of my favorite directors. Given what we know about Spielberg and Eastwood, we can expect a pretty strong and very sensitive anti-war film. The world can always use more of those.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 01:57 PM
Rapscallion is currently offline Click here to Send Rapscallion a Private Message Find more posts by Rapscallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i've been looking forward to these for a while now.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 06:02 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

FoOF seems to be getting all of the attention, but I'm not exactly anticipating it.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 07:09 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ax3l
Dream Finder

Phillipe and Walker?!?!?

Not the actors i would be expecting.

One little spark...

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 07:30 PM
Ax3l is currently offline Click here to Send Ax3l a Private Message Find more posts by Ax3l Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

phillipe I can see working. Jaimie bell i'm a not so sure, and walker is definitely not what i would want for a serious war drama. hopefully there will be enough talent behind the camera to offset any lack of talent in front of it.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 08:41 PM
Rapscallion is currently offline Click here to Send Rapscallion a Private Message Find more posts by Rapscallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

I don't usually like war movies, but Flags of our Fathers looks amazing...

Trailer

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 12:01 AM
DeVi| D0do is currently offline Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ax3l
Dream Finder

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rapscallion
phillipe I can see working. Jaimie bell i'm a not so sure, and walker is definitely not what i would want for a serious war drama. hopefully there will be enough talent behind the camera to offset any lack of talent in front of it.
Oh yeah. Behind the camera, the movie will be solid. I'm sure the cinematography will be beautiful, and an amazing story. I'm just worried about the actors.

One little spark...

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 12:46 AM
Ax3l is currently offline Click here to Send Ax3l a Private Message Find more posts by Ax3l Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DanZeke25
You can't beat me.

Not going to be better than Saving Private Ryan IMO.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 07:15 PM
DanZeke25 is currently offline Click here to Send DanZeke25 a Private Message Find more posts by DanZeke25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

Originally posted by DanZeke25
Not going to be better than Saving Private Ryan IMO.

true but there will probably never be a film better than saving private ryan

Old Post Sep 13th, 2006 03:22 AM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

true but there will probably never be a film better than saving private ryan

laughing out loud laughing out loud ...there already is..a korean film called brotherhood

Old Post Sep 13th, 2006 10:53 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

yeah i heard that pisses all over SPR in lots of ways. I do love SPR too though, very touching in lots of ways.

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Sep 13th, 2006 11:29 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JerichoCross

I'm really looking forward to both of those.

BTW if you haven't read the book, I'd recommend doing so. It really puts a human face on the whole thing.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 12:25 AM
JerichoCross is currently offline Click here to Send JerichoCross a Private Message Find more posts by JerichoCross Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

Originally posted by jaden101
laughing out loud laughing out loud ...there already is..a korean film called brotherhood

sounds good. after researching it a bit, it seems that the battle sequences are amazing beyond belief ( still two steps down from SPR) but it has the bonus of the koreans fighting at home rather than invading another country which ads to the power of the story. the negative is it is way to melodramatic, over-acted, and lacks the nuance and intelligence that propelled Saving Private Ryan into being one of the best movies of the 90's. All in all, looks pretty darn good. I'll give it a look. Thanks. smile

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 10:31 PM
Mr Parker

sounds like a couple of great films,when do they come out?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2006 11:21 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bakerboy

On 20 october 2006.

John Lennon, Musical genius of all time

Helen Mirren and Julie Christie , most lovely british actresses of all time.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2006 06:56 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

sounds good. after researching it a bit, it seems that the battle sequences are amazing beyond belief ( still two steps down from SPR) but it has the bonus of the koreans fighting at home rather than invading another country which ads to the power of the story. the negative is it is way to melodramatic, over-acted, and lacks the nuance and intelligence that propelled Saving Private Ryan into being one of the best movies of the 90's. All in all, looks pretty darn good. I'll give it a look. Thanks. smile

shouldn't believe everything you read

whereas saving private ryan spunked its large budget in the 1st 20 minutes...brotherhood has a slow intro and then is pretty much relentless for almost 2 hours culminating in 2 massive battles...

Old Post Sep 19th, 2006 07:09 PM
Mr Parker

just looked at the trailer,looks like another great movie I for sure dont want to miss.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2006 10:34 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote