KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Avatar

Started by: lordofwar

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (39): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lordofwar

Avatar- James Cameron next movie

Plot:
In the future, Jake, a paraplegic war veteran, is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. Those from Earth find themselves at odds with each other and the local culture.

Finally James Cameron is making a new movie.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2007 10:54 AM
lordofwar is currently offline Click here to Send lordofwar a Private Message Find more posts by lordofwar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Is this that new M. Night Shyamalan movie about the fish that is really an alien that is scared of water, but is really dead because it always breaks its bones and is really living in the present and is actually just a parable for our paranoid war-torn times?

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Last edited by Ya Krunk'd Floo on Jan 12th, 2007 at 11:08 AM

Old Post Jan 12th, 2007 11:05 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

no this is the OTHER Avatar movie, although like it mentions in the ign report that the Avatar last airbender film has the rights for the name Avatar as a film.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2007 04:03 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Well, it sounds good then. I've always enjoyed M. Night Shyamalan's twisty-turny movies...apart from Signs, The Village and The Lady In The Water which were all pretty shit.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2007 05:06 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Oooo, cant wait for this one. James Cameron is the king of sci-fi action. There has only been 3 good action movies in the past couple of decades...ALIENS...T2...Matrix...and now I'm sure...AVATAR.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2007 05:49 AM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Here's more information on this.

I'm excited for this.

http://io9.com/5322486/james-camero...weird-in-avatar

quote:
How do you think people are going to react to Avatar?

[People] Better be ready to go blue, I guess. We spent a lot of time on the character design and we based it on the actors. We found out in our very early testing - and this is going back almost four years - that the closer the face was to the actor playing the character, the better the performance translated. In other words, it didn't have to be interpreted by too much animation. So when we actually cast this film, we were looking at [the actors] and making sure that it was a face that we wanted. In other words, we originally had this conceived (as): this is the character, it doesn't have to look like the actor, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

Let's say in the case of Zoe, for example. In theory, she doesn't appear in the film. But we wanted the character to be based on her - on her, the way her mouth an face and eyes look. Then we just kinda stretched... Her eyes are four times the size of the human eyeball, they're huge. But we knew that being driven by the performance that she did, it was still her heart and soul, which was the critical thing. I think after the first few minutes, you forget that they're blue.

How alien are these creatures?

It was a fine line to walk, between making them too alien. When some early images started to leak, and even with the banners, you know some of the fans are starting to say, "Gee, I thought they'd look more alien if you're gonna through all this trouble to CG everything." But If it wasn't a love story, if it was more a story about first contact with an alien race, I think it would be. But this is really more a story about assimilation, and Jake becoming one of them. And starting to see through the eyes of people who are culturally different. Plus it's a love story. So the physiological differences — the more alien we make them in the design phase, we just kept asking ourselves — basically, the crude version is: "Well, would you wanna do it?" And our all-male crew of artists would basically say, "Nope, take the gills out." It was pretty simple, but then taken in a very specific degree.

The Stan Wintson studio guys, who I'd worked with since Terminator, were brought in at that point to take the rough designs and really fine-tune them and do the busts, do the casts of the actor's faces.

We had done casts from the actors' faces, we did Sam's face, Zoe's, and CCH Pounder, who played Zoe's character's mom. There's a whole family... Because we wanted to capture them in the characters, but make the characters still emphasize the animal and the alien. The idea was, when we go to meet the future mother- and father-in-law, we want them to be scary and freaky. So the older Na'Vi are a little stranger than the younger Navi.

But we never asked ourselves the question, What if people won't accept it? I think that's the huge advantage of actually being a geek/fan yourself, but you just don't ask yourself questions like that. I mean, the studio guys — god love 'em, they signed up to write a big check for this movie. They backed our play 100%, all the way down the line. They would ask questions like, "Do they need to be blue?" "Do they need to have a tail?" things like that. And I thought, "Well, yeah, course they do."

How did you create this world?

Well you know, this [Avatar] has just been generating in fragments for years, even since the mid-70s when I was first sort of trying my hand at screenwriting. I was creating stories with spacecraft and other worlds and some of these creatures are actually the distant descendants of [those stories] through a long, Darwinian process. The bioluminescent world — I wrote a script called Xenogenesis that never got made. But it had a bioluminescent world in it. And I didn't even mention the transition point from being a fan reader of science fiction to actually putting them in scenes.

And so when I sat down as the CEO of Digital Domain in 1995, to package a story that would push us ahead in 3-D character development, I just took all these floating, kind of, fragments, I had already written story fragments, prior and when I got the gig to write Alien 2, I just grabbed a bunch of stuff I'd already been thinking about and slammed it together. It felt very, kind of mercenary at the time, I was just throwing crap at it, you know. But what happens is over time, you write it, you massage it, you improve it.

Where does Comic Con fit in with all of this? Where does Hall H [where they screened the footage] fit in?

Hall H fits, in the sense that it's a great launch and I wanna go through all of the Twitt-o-sphere later, and see what people are saying. We'll get some direct feedback from knowledgeable fans, you know, that don't have to be educated all the way up to understanding the movie. They can sort of look at it and *pow* I get it. And they'll get the references and things like that so I think that feedback could be really valuable. I mean, we're still cutting the picture.

These scenes won't change, probably, but there are other scenes we're still finalizing, that are still being massaged into place. And we're not talking about big cuts, but you know we still have a chance to shape it and shape the response. The other thing is, when you live with something over a total creative arc of, in this case, 14 years, you start to take certain things or granted that you understand so fundamentally that you got to remember people coming in cold, they're starting from zero. So I want to make sure that I haven't left anything out in terms of making sure that the story is fully accessible to everybody. Not just the fan audience, but a wider audience.

By fan audience, I mean somebody that knows all the references, knows all the other films. [Someone who is] steeped in the lore. [But at the same time] a construction worker, or somebody's mom — if they go see it, you've got to make a movie for everybody so it has to operate on a very visceral level of universal human archetype, if you will.

And the story's really designed for that because it's really a classic story, it's not a timely story in the sense that "Matrix" was a very timely story, it needed to evolve out of, sort of the cyberpunk era and just sort of the way the internet was changing human consciousness globally - Matrix comes out of that.

This story, it could have been written in the '30s. It could have been and Edgar Rice Burroughs-type story or a Rudyard Kipling story, or a western. But it's an adventure story, a guy from one culture dropped into another culture and I think it's universal.

How have you dealt with the pressure with this movie?

You've gotta eat pressure for breakfast, if you're gonna do this job. When I was making Terminator and I had zero street-cred, nobody knew who I was, couldn't get a call back from the lowest agent in Hollywood, I was under tremendous pressure to perform. Because I had to break in, I had to be a diamond-sharp drill, going through the door into Hollywood. So when does the pressure ever stop? I don't think it does. I think the stakes go up; you start playing with more money, you're bringing more money to the table and I think that pressure makes you good. You keep it always in the back of your mind.

So ... on the one hand I think the pressure's a good thing because it makes you really think about what you're doing, makes you really think about your audience. You're not making a very personal statement, like you would in a novel, you're making a movie. And you're making it at a budget level that's got to appeal to a broad audience. And I think you got to ask yourself a lot of hard questions, while you're making it. At the same time, you can't make a movie for everyone because that's the kiss of death. You've got to make a movie for yourself, so I think what I've found over the years that I'm enough of a fan and that I share a certain base response with people that like science fiction and fantasy films the same way I liked them when I was a kid. Like Seven Voyages of Sinbad, and 2001: A Space Odyssey. I want somebody in a theater seat someplace to feel like I felt when I saw that stuff for the first time and it blew my mind. If I can do that, that's the biggest thrill there is.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 09:59 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

didn't this just come out

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 11:09 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
didn't this just come out

Comes out in December of this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 12:35 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I have definitely been excitedly anticipating this movie for the past year. Cameron has a lot to make up for. I hope he knocks this out of the park. I'm curious to see how the first person perspective filming works.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 02:57 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by dadudemon
Comes out in December of this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

sounds good..

poster..

(please log in to view the image)

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 06:57 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

That poster is fantastic. For some reason that reminds me of the Animation called Fantastic Planet.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2009 08:21 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
sounds good..

poster..

(please log in to view the image)

..."Titanic"? THAT'S the movie they went with for the poster?

Old Post Aug 16th, 2009 10:49 PM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The trailer of this movie will be on the net by the end of the week so i've read.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 06:50 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
..."Titanic"? THAT'S the movie they went with for the poster?

I know, but I would've, that movie made a shitload of money, meaning everyone and their dog went to go see it.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 07:22 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I never went to see

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 07:29 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

Originally posted by Kazenji
I never went to see

I didn't either. It's not our forte it seems, but for it being one of the highest grossing movie, plenty of people went to go see it. You're probably the first person I read who hasn't seen it. I saw it for free when it came out on tv and it was alright, just not my kind of movie.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 07:50 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

Originally posted by dadudemon
Here's more information on this.

I'm excited for this.

http://io9.com/5322486/james-camero...weird-in-avatar

What involvement did Cameron have with "The Matrix"?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 09:26 AM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

Originally posted by Scythe
I know, but I would've, that movie made a shitload of money, meaning everyone and their dog went to go see it.

True, but he wants to draw in a sci-fi crowd, and since everyone and their dog have also seen "Aliens" and the first two "Terminator" movies, I'd go with those, because those are the people that will want to see this.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 09:28 AM
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

James Cameron is a bloody Legend. I have no doubt this film will own.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 09:35 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Scythe
I didn't either. It's not our forte it seems, but for it being one of the highest grossing movie, plenty of people went to go see it. You're probably the first person I read who hasn't seen it. I saw it for free when it came out on tv and it was alright, just not my kind of movie.

I've never seen Titanic. I've seen a few minutes of it. But it was too lame to watch it all, seriously.

Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
What involvement did Cameron have with "The Matrix"?

Very little. I'm not sure what he atually did, if anything.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2009 05:24 PM