KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Good Will Hunting

Good Will Hunting
Started by: SnakeEyes

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Good Will Hunting

Couldn't find a thread.

Love this movie. Robin Williams did an amazing job.

Discuss.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jan 29th, 2008 06:53 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Great film. This put Matt Damon on the map.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 29th, 2008 07:06 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I really like this movie, but mainly for the relationship between minnie driver and matt damons characters, as well as damons performance. I think the story was told better in finding forester though.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2008 08:46 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
regina414

The best performance of Matt Damon, in my opinion.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2008 04:08 PM
regina414 is currently offline Click here to Send regina414 a Private Message Find more posts by regina414 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Röland
Masked Vigilante

This is one of my favorite movies.

Great performances from everyone.

Rorschach's Journal: October 12th, 1985. Tonight, a comedian died in New York.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2008 07:45 PM
Röland is currently offline Click here to Send Röland a Private Message Find more posts by Röland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

the three parts of good will hunting that keep me from loving it to death:

1. when matt damon recommends howard zinn's "a people's history of the united states,". he's supposed to be some ****ing mega genius, and he recommends freshman history required reading?

2. when matt damon asks that barney, "do you like apples? i got her number; how d'you like them apples?" that part is stupid.

3. when matt damon informs minnie driver that eating caramels is as arbitrary as drinking coffee. it's not.

but i still really love this movie.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2008 07:55 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rockycairns

It's a good movie thats for sure good acting by all involved (even Ben Affleck did an impressive job)

Old Post Feb 1st, 2008 01:49 PM
rockycairns is currently offline Click here to Send rockycairns a Private Message Find more posts by rockycairns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cap'n Happy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by manorastroman
the three parts of good will hunting that keep me from loving it to death:

1. when matt damon recommends howard zinn's "a people's history of the united states,". he's supposed to be some ****ing mega genius, and he recommends freshman history required reading?

2. when matt damon asks that barney, "do you like apples? i got her number; how d'you like them apples?" that part is stupid.

3. when matt damon informs minnie driver that eating caramels is as arbitrary as drinking coffee. it's not.

but i still really love this movie.

Interesting. I think that:

1. You have a point here... I just think the filmmakers wanted to promote this book to a wider audience, but yes, hardly cutting edge for a super genius.

2. Got to disagree- I though this was a GREAT scene. Perfect comeuppance for the obnoxious little rich-boy.

3. It really is if you think about it... people in the early stages of romance will often plan on going out to "grab a bite" or "see a movie" or "have a drink"- it's all fairly arbitrary. Their real intent is to see one another, the reasons that they chose are often arbitrary social conventions that serve to facilitate the true objective.

Anyway, great movie. It holds up over time, sign of a strong film.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2008 01:34 AM
Cap'n Happy is currently offline Click here to Send Cap'n Happy a Private Message Find more posts by Cap'n Happy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mark Question
Lurker

Sarcasm maybe? Seemed as though he was being a smart ass in that scene.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2008 02:54 AM
Mark Question is currently offline Click here to Send Mark Question a Private Message Find more posts by Mark Question Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

comeuppance? i think the "rich boy" got his comeuppance when will made him eat his own shit at the bar. i realize that the "d'you like them apples?" scene is intended to show the ultimate immaturity of will hunting, but it's still a bad scene. i guess i'll blame gvs rather than affleck or damon.

and eating caramels is far more arbitrary, if for no other reason than this: there's no precedent. to say that caramels and coffee are equally arbitrary is to ignore generations of tradition. meanwhile, drinking coffee at least makes one alert, and takes more time to finish, thereby leaving more time for conversation (forgetting the difficulty of forming phrases with a mouthful of toffee)...also, the similar conventions mentioned aren't arbitrary in the least; the cinema provides fodder critical or otherwise, sustenance is an unfailingly common ground, and booze makes it easier to enjoy other people, and, consequently have sex.

i'm just saying, the caramel comment is textbook faux-clever. see also: the "sexually active" business in juno.

Last edited by manorastroman on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2008 10:08 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cap'n Happy

comeuppance? i think the "rich boy" got his comeuppance when will made him eat his own shit at the bar. i realize that the "d'you like them apples?" scene is intended to show the ultimate immaturity of will hunting, but it's still a bad scene. i guess i'll blame gvs rather than affleck or damon.

and eating caramels is far more arbitrary, if for no other reason than this: there's no precedent. to say that caramels and coffee are equally arbitrary is to ignore generations of tradition. meanwhile, drinking coffee at least makes one alert, and takes more time to finish, thereby leaving more time for conversation (forgetting the difficulty of forming phrases with a mouthful of toffee)...also, the similar conventions mentioned aren't arbitrary in the least; the cinema provides fodder critical or otherwise, sustenance is an unfailingly common ground, and booze makes it easier to enjoy other people, and, consequently have sex.

i'm just saying, the caramel comment is textbook faux-clever. see also: the "sexually active" business in juno.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on the 'apples' sceen- I loved it.
I do agree that the caramel/arbitrary bit was borderline "faux-clever" (as a few other bits were)... but I saw it as Will being flustered by the budding romance, and TRYING to be clever... a little too hard maybe (being a genius doesn't make one immune to being a goofball over a woman)
But I stand by it not being truly arbitary- at most, it is a matter of degrees, as you yourself point out. But I could counter your arguments by pointing out that:
Cinema can often spark disagreements which are not always conducive to romance. And depending on the film, movies can be quite unromantic in nature.
Alcohol- a depressant, often a sexual dampener.
Coffee- leads to coffee breath, a real turnoff.

OK, I'm picking nits. Anyways, you make good points- good discussion.
P.S. I agree with you on Juno.

Last edited by Cap'n Happy on Feb 2nd, 2008 at 06:30 PM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2008 06:23 PM
Cap'n Happy is currently offline Click here to Send Cap'n Happy a Private Message Find more posts by Cap'n Happy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote