KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Strangers - based on a true story

The Strangers - based on a true story
Started by: psychokandy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
psychokandy

Shocked The Strangers - based on a true story

This takes my fear of getting robbed even further. Not to mention the fact that it's based on recent events...

check out the trailer, it looks FREAKY.

Synopsis from website:

"The horrifying events that took place in the Hoyt family’s vacation home at 1801 Clark Road on February 11, 2005 are still not entirely known. Champagne. Rose petals. Candlelight. It was supposed to be a night of celebration for Kristen McKay (Liv Tyler) and James Hoyt (Scott Speedman), but after leaving a friend’s wedding reception and returning to the house, everything had collapsed for the happy couple. Then came a 4 a.m. knock on the door and a haunting voice. Is Tamara home? Writer/director Bryan Bertino explores our most universal fears in The Strangers, a terrifying suspense thriller about a couple whose remote getaway becomes a place of terror."

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 05:16 PM
psychokandy is currently offline Click here to Send psychokandy a Private Message Find more posts by psychokandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

horror

TGFwashere

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 05:39 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Looks very similar to Them/Ils, a French film that came out a few years ago, now that was a very creepy film.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 05:41 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SkinWalker

I've been waiting for this movie for almost two years, when the trailers first appeared online I hopped on that shit fast.

Despite my enjoyment for the true story thing, there aren't any accounts of the event. Oh well, if it's a marketing ploy, it's a damn good one.

-Halle Berry's Biggest Fan.:.Thanks Piggle Humsy-

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 11:08 PM
SkinWalker is currently offline Click here to Send SkinWalker a Private Message Find more posts by SkinWalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TrinityJ

its not based on anything. It says "inspired by true events"
That could literally mean anything in Hollywood.
As I've said before, it could mean inspired by the making of another film.

Speedman and Tyler should make a good couple. Hopefully not too good though. I wouldnt mind seeing either or both of them completely slaughtered in this one. I voted for Gore than, and im voting for gore now. Give me gore!

Here is the official traler folks.
http://movietrailerlive.com/ct_0002_TheStrangers_A

Last edited by TrinityJ on May 24th, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Old Post May 24th, 2008 12:27 AM
TrinityJ is currently offline Click here to Send TrinityJ a Private Message Find more posts by TrinityJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

'Them' was indeed a cool film, very creepy.

From what I've heard, this is loosely based on the Manson killings.

Old Post May 24th, 2008 12:59 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psychokandy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TrinityJ
[B]its not based on anything. It says "inspired by true events"
That could literally mean anything in Hollywood.
As I've said before, it could mean inspired by the making of another film.

Speedman and Tyler should make a good couple. Hopefully not too good though. I wouldnt mind seeing either or both of them completely slaughtered in this one. I voted for Gore than, and im voting for gore now. Give me gore!

I have no idea what it's actually based on. I've heard people say it's loosely based on the Manson murders, but who knows. Like you say, it could mean anything in Hollywood.

I love the subtlety of the masked dude in the background slowly creeping up behind Tyler... I almost didn't notice it at first.

I should check out Them/Ils. French films rule. Un Chien Andalou, anyone? wink

Old Post May 24th, 2008 01:16 PM
psychokandy is currently offline Click here to Send psychokandy a Private Message Find more posts by psychokandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

I'll have to see this movie.sounds interesting.

Old Post May 24th, 2008 06:06 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Intriguing, mostly because they're just people, disregarding the whole psychotic/serial killer thing. If done realistically, the couple should be fighting (literally) for their lives.

Old Post May 24th, 2008 09:20 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SkinWalker

It's first three reviews that showed up on rottentomatoes were fresh, usually that's a good sign, but who knows.

-Halle Berry's Biggest Fan.:.Thanks Piggle Humsy-

Old Post May 26th, 2008 10:22 PM
SkinWalker is currently offline Click here to Send SkinWalker a Private Message Find more posts by SkinWalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

i guess ill be seeing it today

better than sex in the city...

TGFwashere

Old Post May 30th, 2008 05:28 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Lame movie. Disappointed.

Old Post May 31st, 2008 09:06 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I bet this movie is not based on anything, but inspired by a lot of different horror movie's.

Old Post May 31st, 2008 02:38 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

BackFire - Was it similar to Them?

Old Post May 31st, 2008 03:17 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

saw a preview for it the other day,will have to check it out soon.

Old Post May 31st, 2008 05:57 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MildPossession
BackFire - Was it similar to Them?

Yes. Premise is identical. The execution is a bit different.

In short, it's not as good.

It had some good scenes. But as a whole it was something of a mishmash.

Old Post May 31st, 2008 09:32 PM
The Hawk

according to wiki:

The movie is inspired by an event from the director's, Bryan Bertino, childhood, among other things. A stranger came to his home asking for someone. Later, he found out that empty homes in the neighborhood had been robbed. With that memory in mind, Bertino created this, his debut screenplay. The screenplay is also inspired by the events of the Charles Manson murders.

That last thing I would call this movie is "Based on a true story" or even
inspired. obviously just a marketing gimmick.

Old Post May 31st, 2008 10:31 PM
The Hawk is currently offline Click here to Send The Hawk a Private Message Find more posts by The Hawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
allofyousuckkk
Amazingly Awesome

i thought it was great. I expected to go to see a movie that would terrify me, and it did just that. I was scared the whole time, and that NEVER happens to me in horror movies.

People expect character development, some sort of storyline or twist. Nahh. I went expecting to be scared shitless, and I got just that. I'm very happy

Old Post Jun 1st, 2008 06:12 AM
allofyousuckkk is currently offline Click here to Send allofyousuckkk a Private Message Find more posts by allofyousuckkk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
8jj8ii

Barf manson

this scared me. just the thought of me going through this was enough to get my heart rate up a little bit there. based slightly on the manson murders of tate and friends....the writer said so.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2008 09:24 PM
8jj8ii is currently offline Click here to Send 8jj8ii a Private Message Find more posts by 8jj8ii Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

will have to check this one out then. eek!

Old Post Jun 6th, 2008 09:32 PM