KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Time Machine

The Time Machine
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

The Time Machine

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells has been adapted into several films, most notable being the 1960 version starring Rod Taylor, then the 2002 version starring Guy Pearce. Personally, I like the former version better than the more recent telling.

I do have a question, though:

For those of you who have seen the 2002 version, was it presumptuous of Alexander to interfere with 800,000 years of evolution? The Morlocks were just living by what evolution had made them. The Über-Morlock was rather civil to the protagonist and even answered his driving question, yet Alexander [SPOILER - highlight to read]: kills him rather unjustifiably, in my opinion. Was he wrong to change the course of the world?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Oct 25th, 2008 06:43 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

maybe O_o

You don't need good rear vision because you're always in front!

Old Post Oct 25th, 2008 10:57 PM
AngryManatee is currently offline Click here to Send AngryManatee a Private Message Find more posts by AngryManatee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

He tried to eat the black chick. Nigga had to die.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2008 06:54 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I havent seen the remake in ages. Although i remember enjoying it i don't remember enough to respond to this question. Weren't the morlocks breeding and eating the humans though?

Old Post Oct 26th, 2008 04:32 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: The Time Machine

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment

For those of you who have seen the 2002 version, was it presumptuous of Alexander to interfere with 800,000 years of evolution? The Morlocks were just living by what evolution had made them. The Über-Morlock was rather civil to the protagonist and even answered his driving question, yet Alexander [SPOILER - highlight to read]: kills him rather unjustifiably, in my opinion. Was he wrong to change the course of the world?

I agree, the original was a much better story.

No, he was ultimately helping his own kind.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 26th, 2008 04:56 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Obviously Alexander would've felt more obligated to help those who were his ancestors - at least, more visually comparable to the peers of his own time. I think that there's also a measure of horror/guilt - "We turned into THAT?!" and so, by killing them, he has made sure they're going to be killed in the future. (?)

Blegh. Thinking about time paradoxes always feels like putting my thoughts in the washing machine.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2008 05:17 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote