KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Star Trek vs Watchmen

Which was better?
This poll is closed.
J.J. Abrams "Star Trek" 13 68.42%
Zach Snyder's "Watchmen" 6 31.58%
Total: 19 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Star Trek vs Watchmen
Started by: Darth Martin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Martin

Star Trek vs Watchmen

There was big hype half a year ago when it had been reported that Kevin Smith had seen both films long before they had been released. He was also asked how he would stack them up against The Dark Knight.

Well now that I have seen both Watchmen and Star Trek I must say that they are both AMAZING! I was rooting for Star Trek as the big summer event of them all this year. And I was one who was trying to hype Watchmen up for people who didn't know even though I hadn't read the original graphic novel. Also I'm a small Star Trek TV Series fan. I've watched The Next Generation, Deep Space, and Voyager b ut never really viewed much of the Original Series. I have always been a big Star Wars fan.

I do agree with the assessment that Star Trek is this years "Iron Man". So that leaves the question, which is this years "The Dark Knight". Well if your searching for it in the summer movie season you may not find it. IMO Watchmen was it! While Star Trek like Iron Man was a art work to look at. Watchmen made you not only in awe of what was on screen but made you think while watching it AND afterwards. Right now I'm sold at Star Trek at an 8.5/10. But after leaving the theater I gave Watchmen a 7/10. But after having a night to sleep on it I upgraded it to a 9/10. While none of these films are what The Dark Knight(10/10) was to me, they are great films.

Which one do you think is better? Explain why and include your thoughts on each films casting, direction, and special effects and what not. Including The Dark Knight where would these films rank? Are there any more films coming this yeart that you feel will heavily rival these two?

Last edited by Darth Martin on May 9th, 2009 at 08:11 PM

Old Post May 9th, 2009 08:03 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Shindiggery
Cynical Egotist

For me Star Trek edges it for me. Don`t get me wrong I liked Watchmen, it was okay. But Watchmen being my favourite graphic novel of all time, my expectations for this movie were quite high and while it was mostly good some finer details and themes were not in the film which I missed. Plus I was not a big fan of the ending being changed, Moore`s ending was much better and ambiguous whereas Synder`s ending felt more forced. As for Star Trek this was very good imo, its stands up there toe to toe with some of the classic movies such as Star Trek 2, 4 and 6. While I do admit it was weird seeing this as an alternative spin on the characters, to think of an analogy think of the Ultimate universe in Marvel but for Star Trek all the actors did their very best to bring to life the characters I mostly love in Trek lore. Even the actors who had small parts had their chance to shine and the references to the Old Series and movies were Gold, as a semi Trekkie, yes you read that right I thoroughly enjoyed Star Trek and thought it was a much better cinema experience and film then Watchmen.

"You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time. But you were wrong. The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world is chance"

Last edited by Mr Shindiggery on May 9th, 2009 at 08:58 PM

Old Post May 9th, 2009 08:55 PM
Mr Shindiggery is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Shindiggery a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Shindiggery Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I thought Watchmen was one of the biggest disappointments of the year and apart from the visuals, nothing special. So I chose Star Trek even though I haven't seen it. stick out tongue

Old Post May 9th, 2009 09:58 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

"Watchmen" broke my heart.

Old Post May 9th, 2009 10:09 PM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

This is NO COMPARISON Watchmen was a let down, while Star Trek rocked from beginning to end

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post May 9th, 2009 10:39 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Watchmen was the better movie, IMO. I liked it more than Star Trek.

Old Post May 9th, 2009 10:42 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

haha, Watchmen was by far the better movie for me. Star Trek had prettier colors. I did enjoy Star Trek for the most part but it greatly lacked the one thing Watchmen had in spades...,depth.

Old Post May 9th, 2009 11:03 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Even the watered down Watchmen I saw in theaters was better than Star Trek IMO.

Old Post May 9th, 2009 11:06 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
haha, Watchmen was by far the better movie for me. Star Trek had prettier colors. I did enjoy Star Trek for the most part but it greatly lacked the one thing Watchmen had in spades...,depth.

Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
Even the watered down Watchmen I saw in theaters was better than Star Trek IMO.

I love both of you.

And, indeed, the watered down version of Watchmen really was better than Star Trek.

I did enjoy both, though.

Old Post May 9th, 2009 11:10 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Im yet to see watchmen, but it really must f**king rule if its better than ST was.

Cause STXI was the shit.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post May 9th, 2009 11:19 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Im yet to see watchmen, but it really must f**king rule if its better than ST was.

Cause STXI was the shit.

You probably will not like Watchmen as much as Star Trek. Of this, I am almost positive. However, you and I do have a nice intersection in movie taste, so, who knows what you'll think.

Have you read the comic? If you have, I can say for sure you won't like it as I am the only person out of a dozen or so that liked the film better than the comic. Reading the comic, for some reason, automatically creates a hate for the film...

Old Post May 9th, 2009 11:23 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

No Im on the hunt for the graphic novels and I have heard of several aspects that fascinate me. Doc Manhattan and his perception of time issues Ive heard about for example.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post May 9th, 2009 11:30 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by dadudemon
I am the only person out of a dozen or so that liked the film better than the comic.
...........WHAT!?

Old Post May 9th, 2009 11:46 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

watchmen sucked but star trek was the shiz

Old Post May 9th, 2009 11:54 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

If Isaiah was not your cousin I would slap you. stick out tongue

I don't think I ever posted my opinion of the Watchmen movie.

Although Watchmen(movie) was indeed inferior to the comic, as much of what made the comic great does not translate into live-action very well or not at all, but honestly, the Watchmen film is about as good an adaption as there can be IMO.

And despite being a watered down Watchmen, I enjoyed it more than Star Trek.

Old Post May 10th, 2009 12:02 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

i honestly wouldnt even put watchmen over star trek in terms of plot. the comics got a lot of themes and story but it didnt translate over very well at all into the movie imo. i feel that the violence was too over-the-top and the story was rushed and felt a bit forced and ozymendia's justification for destroying the world was weak. but yeah thats just my opinion.

Old Post May 10th, 2009 12:09 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
...........WHAT!?

Exactly. I found mysefl bored, at times, with the comic. For REALZ. Whereas, the movie, I wanted to see what would happen next. (Out of curiosity of how they made it into a film and also because of the story differences making it slightly new.)

Sure, I enjoyed some of the expanded back stories...but those obviously couldn't fit into one film. Comic is still quite good, don't get me wrong.

Old Post May 10th, 2009 12:14 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

i found the comic overrated, i mean i liked it but it is defintly not one of my favorites

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post May 10th, 2009 01:19 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batmanfan136

I like star trek a lot better I'm not even a big star trek fan i thought it was better just cause of the all the changes to watchmen, I'm fine with changes in adaptations of things cause some things in comics are a little far fetched and to bring a realism to a movie something needs to be changed but the things that were changed in watchmen seemed dumb and unless to me Idk that's just my opinion. And for the star trek movie did really find anything that wrong to me not saying its a perfect movie but i found it better than watchmen

Old Post May 10th, 2009 01:19 AM
batmanfan136 is currently offline Click here to Send batmanfan136 a Private Message Find more posts by batmanfan136 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by WO Polaski
and ozymendia's justification for destroying the world was weak. but yeah thats just my opinion.

really, to bring peace? You thought that was weak?

Old Post May 10th, 2009 05:04 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote