KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Failed movies with potential

Failed movies with potential
Started by: KCJ506

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KCJ506

Failed movies with potential

What movies do you think had great potential but fell face first due to whatever reason?

X-men 3 and Spider-man 3. Both films failed to live up to the hype mostly due to studio inference.

X-men 3 due to Fox wanting to rush production to have it out in Summer 2006. They didn't even have a director until weeks before filming was to begin. And when a director is finally on board, it's Brett Ratner who had grown a reputation for being a hack, douchbag, MTV music video, action director. They also didn't wanna wait for several actors to take care of prior engagements before filming.(Marsden, Romijn, and Paquin) As a result several characters were either "killed off" or had very little screentime.

SM3 was the studio not wanting to wait until Raimi was done with the goblin storyline and cramming in Venom a character he didn't understand and had no place in the established storyline. The story arc had been set up for two films was for Harry to be come the big bad, not some alien symbiote who hadn't even had any foreshadowing. (except for that line in SM1 about "Eddie's" pictures, which seems to have been ignored). Venom overshadowed Harry and was put in to get symbiote fanboys in theaters.

Instead of going with Raimi's original plan which was setting up Vulture as a criminal previously busted by Spidey and out for revenge and whose storyline would have been actually connected to Sandman, they opted for a much more complex story involving an alien symbiote and a grudge that should've been brewing for at least two movies but was forced into half of one.

And Halo. Peter Jackson and Neil Blomkamp showed interest and no one wanted to make this movie? WTF?

Old Post Jul 14th, 2011 05:13 PM
KCJ506 is currently offline Click here to Send KCJ506 a Private Message Find more posts by KCJ506 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Re: Failed movies with potential

quote: (post)
Originally posted by KCJ506
X-men 3 due to Fox wanting to rush production to have it out in Summer 2006. They didn't even have a director until weeks before filming was to begin. And when a director is finally on board, it's Brett Ratner who had grown a reputation for being a hack, douchbag, MTV music video, action director. They also didn't wanna wait for several actors to take care of prior engagements before filming.(Marsden, Romijn, and Paquin) As a result several characters were either "killed off" or had very little screentime.

Aside from the Cyclops thing and the casting of Vinnie Jones I felt it was a fun movie. Wolverine was still sensitive and caring but they had to continue that angle from the previous films so it didn't bother me anymore.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2011 05:22 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KCJ506

Re: Re: Failed movies with potential

Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Aside from the Cyclops thing and the casting of Vinnie Jones I felt it was a fun movie. Wolverine was still sensitive and caring but they had to continue that angle from the previous films so it didn't bother me anymore.

Well another issue I had(along with a lot of other people) was they crammed in so many characters and the movie was less than two hours. It felt rushed. I mean Angel barely got any screentime.

I think I heard that Singer originially wanted to shoot part 3 and 4 back to back.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2011 06:14 PM
KCJ506 is currently offline Click here to Send KCJ506 a Private Message Find more posts by KCJ506 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Xmen2 for not having toad.
Xmen3 for not having nightcrawler

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2011 07:02 PM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

superman returns and transformers.. hey, michael bay, do you know what made the transformers animated movie good? it was about the f*cking robots, not a teenager with relationship problems..

Old Post Jul 14th, 2011 09:15 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

pretty much anything written and/or directed by MKS. the guy really knows how to tell a story, but then bones it within an inch of it's life 'cause he constantly tries to one-up himself.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2011 09:42 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I think alot of comedies fail to live up to their potential these days.

I personally don't get the humour in Superbad, Pineapple Express, Get Him To The Greek or The Hangover...

I saw Hall Pass the other night, excited that it was written & directed by the Farrely Brothers....what a disappointment!
They've fallen a long way from There's Something ABout Mary.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 03:25 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Tron: Legacy springs to mind. After watching that 5 minute trailer and then watching the film. WTF.

Hancock, to me, was very good 2/3 of the way through but then fell flat on its face in the 3rd act.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 04:24 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I think alot of comedies fail to live up to their potential these days.

I personally don't get the humour in Superbad, Pineapple Express, Get Him To The Greek or The Hangover...

I saw Hall Pass the other night, excited that it was written & directed by the Farrely Brothers....what a disappointment!
They've fallen a long way from There's Something ABout Mary.
me neither superbad, pineapple express, & the hangover.
were not funny at all...
the characters just felt retarded.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 04:52 AM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

Dragonball Evolution
Transformers Trilogy
Godzilla (1998)
Daredevil
League of Extremely Ordinary Gentlemen
Rocky 5
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Matrix Sequels
Clash of the Titans (remake)
Madagascar/Madagascar 2
Shrek the Third
Fantastic Four/Rise of the Silver Surfer
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
I Am Legend
Super 8
The Wolfman
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Observe and Report

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 05:43 AM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

nothing was wrong with the matrix sequels -_-

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 06:28 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
Xmen2 for not having toad.
Xmen3 for not having nightcrawler

Pretty sure Toad died in the 1st film. Sabretooth should've come back in one of those two sequels though (albeit, with someone who could actually act like how Liev Schreiber played Sabretooth in Wolverine Origins). Getting knocked onto that boat by Cyclops's optic blast in the 1st movie shouldn't of killed him since he's got a healing factor too (not as potent as Wolverine's, but it's still there).

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 06:50 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Darth Martin
Tron: Legacy springs to mind. After watching that 5 minute trailer and then watching the film. WTF.

I guess it was only you then

because i enjoyed the sequel.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 08:26 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Pretty sure Toad died in the 1st film. Sabretooth should've come back in one of those two sequels though (albeit, with someone who could actually act like how Liev Schreiber played Sabretooth in Wolverine Origins). Getting knocked onto that boat by Cyclops's optic blast in the 1st movie shouldn't of killed him since he's got a healing factor too (not as potent as Wolverine's, but it's still there).
well he supposed to be in the sequel but ray park couldn't make it or something so IMO that means he survived wink

I liked how liev played him but didn't like liev i'd like it if that guy from the first film came back & portrayed sabes the liev way

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 11:37 AM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Superbad, Hangover and Pineapple Express weren't funny?...

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 08:01 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

I disagree with The Matrix Reloaded being labeled a failed movie. I thought it did a great job of expanding the world first concieved upon in the original. The problem was is that it doesn't stand alone like The Dark Knight or Terminator 2; it infact ends on a cliffhanger. That cliffhanger is expanded upon in the third film that is dramatically lesser than the first two.

The Matrix Reloaded is dope and a very underrated sequel IMO.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 09:04 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

I loved the 3rd Matrix more than the 2nd personally, but I see where you're coming from.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 09:08 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

I wasn't really into Reloaded as well, until Revolution came out no expression. Now I love the second movie erm

plus the Highway Chase is dope

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 10:35 PM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
elfirrepins
sniperrifle backwards

Starship Troopers.

Failed big time in terms of acting and whatnot, but it could've been a great movie. The 2nd and 3rd movie had a chance to make things right but they made things oh so wrong, borrow too much from other movies. 2 borrow too much from Alien, and 3 borrowed too much from the Riddick movies.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 11:00 PM
elfirrepins is currently offline Click here to Send elfirrepins a Private Message Find more posts by elfirrepins Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Most M Night Shyamalan movies would be classed as having potential but being disappointing.

Unbreakable being an exception...I think that's a great movie.

Incidentally...Great thread for some good discussion...It gets the thumbs up from me.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jul 15th, 2011 11:01 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote