KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Spawn Reboot

Spawn Reboot
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Spawn Reboot

I just watched the 1997 film again. It's pretty godawful, but it still seems like a premise with some potential. And... apparently Todd McFarlane has been working on a reboot (or wishing for it) for a while.

(please log in to view the image)

And according to this link, he wants DiCaprio.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2012 01:37 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The film did have some redeeming things with it

they got the look of the suit right and Violator done right.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2012 01:43 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, the suit looked good. But then there was some godawful stuff like the devil-creature: click. Wtf? mega fail.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2012 02:48 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

That movie was just a mess in general. I love Michael Jai White, but he literally did nothing in the film. Maelbolgia is supposed to be the Emperor of the series, the leading puppetmaster, and yet they just turned him into a awful-looking CGI throwaway character. Violator was too forced to be funny, an Martin Sheen was a bad miscast. I would try to set the series up as an anthology.

Movie 1 - Spawn trying to understand who he is, eventually fighting the mob and Overtkill. Movie ends with Violater kicking the shit out of him, and revealing the grander scheme of Simmons becoming a general for Hell.

Movie 2 - Introduce the concept of Heaven, and make the antagonist the Redeemer, with Jason Wynn becoming more and more involved in the war. Malebolgia reveals himself to Simmons for the first time, but only briefly, in order to express his incredible level of anger towards the Hellspawn, and says that the Necroplasm is starting to take hold. I would have Jason Wynn continue being the Redeemer, unlike in the comics, and he begins to live like Al, and the film ends with him disappearing in a blinding light. The Violater takes full control of Wynn's company. Chapel is hired by the Violator, and altered by the powers of Hell to match Spawn.

Movie 3: The Angela story-arch goes here, with Chapel as a secondary antagonist that leads to Spawn's full origins revealed.

Movie 4: Spawn and Angela take the fight to Malebolgia, and the series ends with Spawn redeeming himself under the eyes of the Mother of All Creation by killing Malebolgia.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2012 04:16 PM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, the suit looked good. But then there was some godawful stuff like the devil-creature: click. Wtf? mega fail.

I forgot how bad that devil was. Look how poorly it is designed. Hell, the forked tongue comes out of the top of it's mouth rather than the back of it's throat.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2012 01:03 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Malebolgia would look good now with a company like WETA or ILM doing him for a new movie.

Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Violator was too forced to be funny, an Martin Sheen was a bad miscast.

That was Clown that was trying to funny, He needed to more like Heath Ledger's joker just evil and sadistic.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2012 03:19 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

^ I seem to remember a lot of fart jokes from the clown. When I think of Spawn, I shouldn't think "fart jokes."

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2012 10:09 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Originally posted by Myth
^ I seem to remember a lot of fart jokes from the clown. When I think of Spawn, I shouldn't think "fart jokes."

Hey it was the 90s John Leguizamo did what he could in light of what people expected of such films at the time.

Could've the film been darker like the anime...sure. But there's no way the marketing groups would've let that fly at the time.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2012 11:55 AM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Kazenji
He needed to more like Heath Ledger's joker just evil and sadistic.

Agreed.. the humor should have been a bit more subtle and less obnoxious. And for that, Leguizamo would obviously be the wrong choice...

Originally posted by Myth

Haha, yeah. I think he did let one rip once or twice.. Good lord. laughing

Fudge-packing midget? I thought he said "foul-smelling something or other"?

Old Post Nov 11th, 2012 11:29 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I remember when that movie first came out and thinking it was awesome stick out tongue

I think this hero maybe a decade or two late to being relevant. Still done right Spawn would be sweet to see with today's modern CGI

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Nov 11th, 2012 11:32 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

Still enjoy the original in spite of its flaws, mostly for the suit execution and the Violator fight. Wouldn't mind a reboot at all.

What about homey from Prison Break/Blade Trinity as Spawn?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2012 01:56 AM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Newjak
I think this hero maybe a decade or two late to being relevant. Still done right Spawn would be sweet to see with today's modern CGI

Sadly they'd probably make the whole suit CGI now. Whereas that was actually one of the few things done right. I'm a big proponent of practical prosthetic special makeup effects when at all possible.

Originally posted by Ascendancy
Still enjoy the original in spite of its flaws, mostly for the suit execution and the Violator fight.

Yeah, it's still oddly kind of enjoyable. The Violator fight is pretty cool.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2012 03:40 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

The one thing I always bitched about with the Batman & Superman movies was how their capes always hung limp & useless over their shoulders like a discarded fashion accessory.

I always thought Burton, Singer & Nolan would've taken inspiration from Spawn's (cgi) cape...making it more practical & giving it a life on its own.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2012 04:23 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Hey, Todd McFarlane had all the control he wanted when he helped make this in the 90's. The fact it didn't come out so well is on him. If he's going to turn it over to someone who knows how to direct, fine.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Nov 12th, 2012 05:05 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by roughrider
Hey, Todd McFarlane had all the control he wanted when he helped make this in the 90's. The fact it didn't come out so well is on him. If he's going to turn it over to someone who knows how to direct, fine.

Probably not correct. McFarlane wrote it, but it was Mark A.Z. Dippé who directed it. And it was apparently his first feature-length film. Somebody like Francis Lawrence (Constantine, I Am Legend, Water For Elephants) would probably do a good job with the Spawn subject matter nowadays.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2012 05:24 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Sadly they'd probably make the whole suit CGI now. Whereas that was actually one of the few things done right. I'm a big proponent of practical prosthetic special makeup effects when at all possible.

Yeah, it's still oddly kind of enjoyable. The Violator fight is pretty cool.
I agree I tend to like less CGI when it comes to costumes.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Nov 12th, 2012 06:08 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Newjak
I agree I tend to like less CGI when it comes to costumes.

Yeah, example: Ryan Reynolds' CG Green Lantern suit looked very bad.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2012 11:46 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Idris Elba would make a decent Spawn.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 12:04 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by roughrider

The question is, how relevant is Todd Mcfarlane these days?
I mean his Spawn series proved that he was a great artist but lousy writer....

How much clout does his name have these days?

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 01:33 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Robtard
Idris Elba would make a decent Spawn.

That's an awesome idea, actually. Yeah, he would rock. Is the character black in the comic? Just wondering if that's why they went with the black actor..

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
The question is, how relevant is Todd Mcfarlane these days?
I mean his Spawn series proved that he was a great artist but lousy writer....

But he's assured us that the next one is going to be like Alien, Jaws, or The Godfather. lol

Old Post Nov 13th, 2012 02:57 AM