KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » How do you feel about digital cinematography?

How do you feel about digital cinematography?
Started by: Ascendancy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ascendancy

How do you feel about digital cinematography?

I'm kind of torn. Some of the visuals that it makes possible are amazing and the clarity that comes with them just can't be replicated on celluloid. Low light shots are also much better overall on digital. On the flip side, certain scenes--depending on the lighting and other elements--end up feeling like you're watching a TV show rather than a movie precisely because of the clarity. There's obviously none of the grain that gives old film that certain feel, and because digital is likely going to correct for any lightning anomalies when moving between areas some of the warmth of film can get a bit lost.

I know I'll just have to get used to it for the most part, the good and the bad, since it's here to stay. With that said, how have you felt watching fully digital films as they've evolved over the past decade or so in terms of the cinematic experience?

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 03:30 PM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

It always makes me laugh how people go on about how it makes action so more real and exciting until I point out what they are watching is just a really fancy cartoon.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 06:18 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Depends how its used.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 01:17 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

Well when it comes to CGI I pretty much hate it. They really have yet to consistently put in the attention to detail that's necessary to pull that off. Terminator 2 is a great example of it done right, but there's been very little in recent years that's done it well from opening to close of the film.

Anyway, I'm more referring to the overall look that comes with fully digital movies now. I saw my first film in 4K recently and some parts of it just looked amazing, especially scenes at night, but some parts pulled me out of being connected to the action because it just didn't have that 'film' feel to the scene with such high resolution and such perfectly color-accurate tones.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 04:47 AM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

This is the argument over Digital vs. Film, right? Quentin Tarantino refuses to film his films using anything but film.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 06:03 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

I'm not big on digital, it looks weird to me.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Dec 29th, 2016 11:32 AM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote