KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Anakins sudden fall to the Dark Side makes sense in context

Anakins sudden fall to the Dark Side makes sense in context
Started by: relentless1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Anakins sudden fall to the Dark Side makes sense in context

OK so Anakin makes the choice to side with the Emperor by chopping off Mace Windus arm and then he's christened Darth Vader and now all of a sudden he's killing kids... What?!?!? Yes this abrupt fall into evil is a major gripe for those that aren't fans of the Prequels.

BUT

If you figure that series of moments into the larger series....

Yoda says in ESB that "once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny". When Luke faces the Emperor in a battle of wills the Emperor makes mention that all Luke has to do is strike him down and his journey to the dark side will be COMPLETE... Also he stops just short of that defining moment by not killing Vader.

These statements if looked at literally make the swift fall of Anakin Skywalker make a lot more sense; what these characters are saying and now what has been show in that the Dark Sides hold is strong and immediate; once you cross that line your mind will depend into evil fully; there doesnt seem to be any gradual shift. Once youre Dark Side thats pretty much it.

Anyways, that is just something that I noticed; for all the inconsistencies in lining up the two trilogies this is one that actually makes more sense in the context of the entire saga.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 01:10 AM
relentless1 is currently offline Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I think the "seeds to darkness" began earlier than what you've mentioned.

The moment Qui Gon decided to seperate Annakin from his mother at such a young age, both knowing fully well the life of slavery that awaited her....I think that's what ultimately led to his downfall to the dark side.

Pretty stupid reasoning to separate a young child from his only parent & expect the child to embrace the side that was responsible for it.

Don't forget he massacred the Sand People long before being influenced by Palpatine.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 03:13 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Well they did try to get his mother out of slavery but Watto would only allow one of them to be released.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 03:26 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

It really does make sense, I don't get what all the PT haters b*tch about. Anakin was established as a psychopathic, mass murdering, creep in AotC. Him betraying the Jedi and butchering children in RotS fits right in with that.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 03:45 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
Well they did try to get his mother out of slavery but Watto would only allow one of them to be released.

Also, wasn't she freed and married some guy?

I imagine that maybe Obi Wan or Pad Me could have easily went back and bought her freedom unless they knew she was happy where she was.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 05:25 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Nibedicus

Yeah, that was in Episode 2.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 07:03 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Nibedicus

I imagine that maybe Obi Wan or Pad Me could have easily went back and bought her freedom unless they knew she was happy where she was.

Yeah freed & married but without Annakin's knowledge.

All he would've remembered was leaving her as a slave.

Why Qui Gon didn't free the mother from soavery by threat, force or stealth didn't make sense. There was also a potential love interest there.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 10:22 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Slaves had something in them that if they tried to escape it would kill them, not sure what it was called but was mentioned

I always wondered if Anakins path to the dark side started with the death of his mother and finished with the vision of Padme dying

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 10:38 AM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by steverules_2
Slaves had something in them that if they tried to escape it would kill them, not sure what it was called but was mentioned

Honestly don't recall that.

I mean there was never any conversation or plan about freeing/rescuing the mother for that to be mentioned.

And Qui Gon didn't strike me as the type to say," Explosive device in her neck? She's a lost cause, let's leave her."

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 01:56 PM
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
It really does make sense, I don't get what all the PT haters b*tch about. Anakin was established as a psychopathic, mass murdering, creep in AotC. Him betraying the Jedi and butchering children in RotS fits right in with that.

True. The thing is, the film makers were trying to convey something else. hehehe

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 06:46 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

are you guys just jealous you didn't write the script???

big grin big grin big grin stick out tongue stick out tongue stick out tongue stick out tongue laughing laughing laughing

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 08:53 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Esau Cairn

I mean there was never any conversation or plan about freeing/rescuing the mother for that to be mentioned.

And Qui Gon didn't strike me as the type to say," Explosive device in her neck? She's a lost cause, let's leave her."

There is a scene on Tatooine where they talk about the safeguards to stop them escaping. Some sort of implant, iirc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 29th, 2017 10:31 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes and then..why didn't they come back later with resources from the republic and buy her freedom?

Old Post Jan 30th, 2017 01:55 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by -Pr-
There is a scene on Tatooine where they talk about the safeguards to stop them escaping. Some sort of implant, iirc.
"All slaves have a transmitter placed inside their body somewhere. Any attempt to escape--"

"--and they blow you up!"

That's about all the explanation that was given.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2017 04:44 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Surtur
Yes and then..why didn't they come back later with resources from the republic and buy her freedom?

So the Republic would just go out of their way for just on slave.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2017 05:55 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Don't be so dramatic.

Maybe just the one Jedi that was responsible from separating a child from its mother.

Surely Qui Gon should've realised the trauma he created breaking up a family he had just met.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2017 09:43 AM
steverules_2

Originally posted by Esau Cairn

Found it

Shmi: All slaves have transmitters placed in their body somewhere
Anakin: I've been working a scanner to try and locate them, but no luck
Shmi: Any attempt to escape...
Anakin: ...and they blow you up...POOF!

It may have been a while see I've seen TPM but I remember the scene

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Jan 30th, 2017 12:04 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why not? Even if the people on Tatooine do not take Republic credits and there is no way for them to exchange those credits for a different currency..we saw they are more than willing to accept technology as payment. A ship or something.

Now add in the fact this is the mother of an emotionally disturbed young jedi who they feel is the chosen one and who they decided to train despite more or less all the jedi masters saying it was a bad idea.

Notice that 10 yr. old Anakin was kinda annoying, but he wasn't this whiny evil little shitbag he turned into. Perhaps having momma in his life could have helped him, instead they just forgot about for her for a decade and then he slaughtered an entire village after a mental breakdown due to her death. Shockingly not the only time he'd slaughter kids.

None of the jedi even ask him wtf happened on Tatooine, despite Yoda sensing some deep shit was going down.

The jedi and their shitty treatment of him also played a part in his fall. "Oh, you had premonitions of someone you care about dying? Shut the f*ck up and learn to let it go chump". Or "Oh we put you on the council, but you get upset we don't make you a master? Shut the f*ck up and go spy on your only friend that we don't trust and sense the darkside around and btw we kinda don't even trust you around him either, now go".

Last edited by Surtur on Jan 30th, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2017 12:43 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

It may have been a while SINCE I've seen TPM

Hate using a PS Vita keyboard

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Jan 30th, 2017 01:31 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, there definitely was a scene where they talk about your heading getting blown off if you try to escape.

Wait a minute, Anakin was actually SUPER excited when describing it. Hmm, maybe the kid was just born dark.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2017 02:45 PM