KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Dark Tower (2017)

The Dark Tower (2017)
Started by: Dreampanther

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

The Dark Tower (2017)

Full trailer on the way!

As if you didn't know, The Dark Tower is based on Stephen King's epic work about the Gunslinger, Roland Deschain, who roams an Old West-like landscape where "the world has moved on" in pursuit of the Man in Black.

Starring Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey and Katheryn Winnick.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 06:34 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

This looks epic.

"You're going to like Earth."

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 08:52 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Fun.
Looks like they changed a lot of it, which i dont mind.

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 11:19 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

I like Idris Elba so this could be fun

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 11:25 AM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Idris Elba is cool and the gunslinger himself looks badass but I can't imagine this being any good

Sig by Scribble

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 12:24 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^odd.

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 12:38 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

I'll re-word that for you.

I think Idris Elba is a very talented actor and I think he was an inspired choice to play Roland. I also think the design of his character fits well, and the look of the Gunslinger itself with the way he reloads and uses his skills seems cool.

However, I don't believe that this adaptation will amount to much, and will ultimately fail in it's live-action adaptation of the source material. With condensing the bulk of the work, re-framing, and re-contextualizing the story itself, the film will in my opinion, likely feel hollow.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 12:46 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

From what i've read regarding the movie its going to be done as as a continuation, As some photo's have shown Roland with the object Horn of Eld

http://ew.com/article/2016/07/14/da...eddie-susannah/

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 12:51 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Right right I forgot about that. Well I guess I've less reason to be suspect of the plot.

Hopefully they really treat it as such instead of it being just a wink and a nod to the constant reader.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 12:54 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Quincy

I think Idris Elba is a very talented actor and I think he was an inspired choice to play Roland. I also think the design of his character fits well, and the look of the Gunslinger itself with the way he reloads and uses his skills seems cool.

However, I don't believe that this adaptation will amount to much, and will ultimately fail in it's live-action adaptation of the source material. With condensing the bulk of the work, re-framing, and re-contextualizing the story itself, the film will in my opinion, likely feel hollow.

I know nothing of the source material, but I'm a little skeptical of this film also. Only because the narrative seems like it might be a little awkward and it will probably take a lot to make the fantasy elements convincing. The juxtaposition of a Western-style gun wielding hero with what appears to be fantastical elements feels a little awkward. I hope it works, though.

But I will definitely be interested just for the simple facts of Idris Elba and Matthew McConahaybluewyblah.. thumb up

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 01:27 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Quincy

Less odd. Thanks for explaining.

Having read the source material, i dont mind that by its very nature a movie adaptation is going to be condensed, re-framed, and re-contextualized.

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 01:35 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

My recollection of reading the 1st novel was that King had some cool ideas but not necessarily a storyline to connect those ideas together.

Then dragging the story into several novels just felt like contractual obligation rather than a great tale to tell.

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 01:42 PM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I really enjoyed the first book. It had a very unique style, was very lonely, and was almost meandering. It was really unique. The other ones are a bit more “traditional” fantasy novels and seemed to lose the sense of loneliness that I loved in the first one.

Anyway, this looks cool enough. Not sure about Flagg yet, but Elba as Roland looks great.

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 06:53 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
My recollection of reading the 1st novel was that King had some cool ideas but not necessarily a storyline to connect those ideas together.

Then dragging the story into several novels just felt like contractual obligation rather than a great tale to tell.

So a single condensed film should be better, yes?

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 07:08 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

That would be awful. Anyway, this isn't an adptation of the books. It's a sequel.

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 07:11 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

I felt the same way reading The Gunslinger as you described Ares. Well put

Sig by Scribble

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 07:23 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

will read the books after I see this

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post May 3rd, 2017 09:31 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
So a single condensed film should be better, yes?

I'm not the one to speculate.

King dragged the series to 7 novels I think.

The 1st novel ended without a hint of where the story was going.
Then there was like a 3 year gap before the 2nd was published.

In that period I lost interest.

But as Ares pointed out, this is a sequel to the 7 novels (weird concept) & not an adaptation.

Old Post May 4th, 2017 02:31 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PaleMysts

Looks stupid, it's some hack fantasy movie.

Old Post May 7th, 2017 10:10 AM
PaleMysts is currently offline Click here to Send PaleMysts a Private Message Find more posts by PaleMysts Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOneFirestorm

I'm excited for this feature movie of a epic fantasy horror book series.

It is pretty dumb to change the Gunslinger to a black man. No doubt no logical reason for that change if they aren't going to do it right then don't do it at all.

Elliot Ness from the Terrific Action Crime Drama Mob Movie The Untouchables

Old Post May 23rd, 2017 03:15 AM
TheOneFirestorm is currently offline Click here to Send TheOneFirestorm a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneFirestorm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote