KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Mount Rushmore of Directors?

Mount Rushmore of Directors?
Started by: Zack M

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

Mount Rushmore of Directors?

If you had to choose, who would be the Mount Rushmore of directors?

Alfred Hitchcock
Stankey Kubrick
Steven Spielberg
Martin Scorsese

Old Post May 16th, 2017 08:33 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I think Nolan will make that list one day.

Old Post May 16th, 2017 10:33 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Zack, I must commend you on your avatar and sig images. Nic Cage forever...

Uwe Boll
Michael Bay
Tommy Wiseau
Joel Schumacher
Eli Roth
Zack Snyder

I couldn't just pick 4.

Old Post May 16th, 2017 12:55 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Okay, my serious list...

Alfred Hitchcock
Martin Scorsese
Stanley Kubrick
Quentin Tarantino

Honorable mentions:

Ridley Scott
Steven Spielberg
David Cronenberg
David Lynch
David Fincher
David Twohy
Paul Thomas Anderson
Roman Polanski
James Cameron (for his action direction)
Ang Lee
Oliver Stone
Danny Boyle
Coen Brothers

Last edited by Patient_Leech on May 16th, 2017 at 01:39 PM

Old Post May 16th, 2017 01:34 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Tarantino is my favorite modern director, but I don't think he touches any of the 4 i mentioned. He'd be above Nolan, though.

Old Post May 16th, 2017 08:09 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Roman Polanski
Francis Ford Coppola
Alfred Hitchcock
David Lynch

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post May 21st, 2017 09:59 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

1. Spielberg
2. Scorcese
3. FF Coppola
4. The Coen Brothers
Honorable Mentions: Ridley Scott, Stanley Kubrick, James Cameron, Alfred Hitchcock, Clint Eastwood, Cecil B. Demille, George Miller, and John Carpenter

Last 20-30 years:
1. Nolan
2. Tarantino
3. Fincher
4. Peter Jackson
Honorable Mentions: Alfonso Cuaron, Tim Burton, Sam Mendes, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Edgar Wright, Sam Raimi, John Hughes, Denis Villanueve, and Wes Anderson.

Old Post May 21st, 2017 11:13 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I think Nolan will make that list one day.

i believe he is there already...

Originally posted by John Murdoch
1. Spielberg
2. Scorcese
3. FF Coppola
4. The Coen Brothers
Honorable Mentions: Ridley Scott, Stanley Kubrick, James Cameron, Alfred Hitchcock, Clint Eastwood, Cecil B. Demille, George Miller, and John Carpenter

Last 20-30 years:
1. Nolan
2. Tarantino
3. Fincher
4. Peter Jackson
Honorable Mentions: Alfonso Cuaron, Tim Burton, Sam Mendes, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Edgar Wright, Sam Raimi, John Hughes, Denis Villanueve, and Wes Anderson.

excellent list

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post May 22nd, 2017 04:24 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i believe he is there already...

excellent list

Thanks Bruce.

I included the younger list just because the four mentioned will be in the upper discussion one day (agreed that Nolan may already be there; he and Tarantino are the top two modern directors whose names are headliners on par with A-list actors). Maybe not Jackson, but he just needs a few other masterworks to complement the LOTR Trilogy. Fincher has a viciously good filmography as well.

Guys like Villanueve and Edgar Wright have shown they have what it takes, just a matter of time for them to be in the running IMO.

On the top four:
- Ridley Scott is right there and would be my 5th, if I needed to replace Coppola or the Coens he would go in one of their slots. - Haven't seen enough of Kubrick's films, though 2001, The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket are the masterpieces I have seen. Hated Eyes Wide Shut. If I watched his whole catalog, he'd be there I'd bet.
- Cameron has T1 and 2 and Aliens, and no matter what you think of them, Titanic and Avatar are still the two biggest movies ever and perhaps the greatest marvels to behold on film if nothing else.
- Seen the Birds and Psycho along with bits and pieces of North by Northwest, Vertigo, and Rear Window from Hitchcock. Again, I'll put in the honorable mention category due to not having seen more of his filmography.
- Clint made the best western ever IMO (Unforgiven), two of my favorite dramas (Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino), two great war films in one year (Flags of Our Fathers and Letter From Iwo Jima), along with plenty of solid stuff in his filmography (Outlaw Josey Wales, the Dirty Harry films he directed, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Hereafter, American Sniper, haven't seen Sully yet). He's in the running, but the production values of some of his films are on the low-end (fake baby and bad CGI car explosion and sandstorm in American Sniper, for example).
- DeMille was an old-school James Cameron: big time epic productions that may not hold up today, but were forerunners for the special effects-laden blockbusters of today. Samson and Delilah, The Greatest Show on Earth (side note: funny, I just saw that Barnum & Baileys Circus ended its 146-year run last night on May 22nd), and The Ten Commandments.
- George Miller has the four Mad Max movies and the two Happy Feets, but not enough else IMO to put him in one of those 4 top slots.
- John Carpenter is THE master horror slasher director, and he has also worked so many genres into horror (sci-fi with The Thing and They Live, comedy and fantasy with Big Trouble in Little China, and sci-fi action with the two Escape movies).

Really, there are too many to list, I can think of more even as I type.

Old Post May 22nd, 2017 11:11 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Martin Scorscese
Stephen Spielberg
Francis Ford Coppola
James Cameron

Old Post May 22nd, 2017 11:13 PM
relentless1 is currently offline Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

What is the metric here? If it's influence on the industry I'd say Spielberg, George Lucas and James Cameron are firmly in the top-tiers, with Coppola, Scorsece and Kubrick fighting for fourth place.

If the contest is about sheer talent, Lucas gets dropped in favor of one of the fourth placers.

edit- Hitchcock deserves to be on these lists somewhere, but I don't know where. His movies didn't revolutionize the industry like others listed, but he had a lot less to work with- and that has to be taken into account.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on May 22nd, 2017 at 11:21 PM

Old Post May 22nd, 2017 11:19 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Just lol if Paul Anderson isn't on your list

PWNT

Old Post May 22nd, 2017 11:41 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Just lol if Paul Anderson isn't on your list

See, I forgot about Paul W.S. Anderson, the greatest modern director of all the times:

- Mortal Kombat
- Soldier
- Resident Evil
- Death Race 2007
- The Three Musketeers 2011
- Pompeii

All hail PWSA.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Sorry, couldn't resist. I for reals really like Mortal Kombat and Event Horizon is a legit good movie.

Old Post May 23rd, 2017 12:04 AM