KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movies you expected to do well but bombed/underperformed

Movies you expected to do well but bombed/underperformed
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Movies you expected to do well but bombed/underperformed

The films for the thread being movies you personally thought should've performed better, but for some reason didn't. Did you expect the film do do better because of an actor that starred in it, or did the franchise/entry have good early reactions but ultimately failed to pan out? Do you think the film wo have a future cult status or will be remembered better in the future?

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Aug 4th, 2017 10:23 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well I expected Dark Tower to be good and according to some reviews it is not...

Old Post Aug 4th, 2017 10:41 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I thought Ghost in the Shell would actually be pretty good. Sounds like it wasn't

PWNT

Old Post Aug 4th, 2017 11:04 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

John Carter of Mars.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2017 11:15 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I thought Ghost in the Shell would actually be pretty good. Sounds like it wasn't

Thought for sure it'd be a big hit being based on a classic anime, having Scar Jo, and featuring incredible visuals in the trailer. Nope.

Watchmen: usually hailed as the greatest comic book ever, again great marketing campaign showcasing incredible visuals. Nope.

One that surprised me last year from last year in January 2016 requires some explanation:

- January 2014 had Lone Survivor, Peter Berg's action masterpiece and one of the best modern warfare movies I've ever seen featuring incredible stunt work and - possibly - more realism than any war movie ever due to actually having the Lone Survivor, Marcus Luttrell, involved in production. January 2015 had American Sniper, one of the biggest successes in domestic box office history and Clint Eastwood's ode to Chris Kyle.

So out comes 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi:
- Helmed by Michael Bay, who always brings the action to the highest degree.
- Solid cast including Jon Krasinski, James Badge Dale, David Denman, Pablo Schreiber, Toby Stephens, Max Martini, etc, all of whom have a following from TV (and film, to a lesser degree).
- Based on the September 11, 2012, Benghazi attacks against two US govt factilities.
I figured for sure Michael Bay and crew had a hit on their hands. It performed well below expectations, though it is still one of my favorite movies from 2016 and one of my favorite modern warfare films.

Also, it's been said a lot, but BvS. Should've been a billion dollar winner at the least, but no-go.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2017 04:42 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Homecoming didn't bomb, but I thought it would make Avengers money. Spidey is Marvel's most popular character by a landslide, and he was finally being introduced to the MCU.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Aug 5th, 2017 06:34 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Mathew

There are too many to name.
50 shades of gray is one of them.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2017 06:38 AM
John Mathew is currently offline Click here to Send John Mathew a Private Message Find more posts by John Mathew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Not me, but a guy i worked with thought JOHN CARTER was going to be the next big franchise.
I rather enjoyed it, petsonally.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2017 10:38 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote