KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Oscars 2019

Oscars 2019
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Oscars 2019

Black Panther get's a Best Pic nom and First Man doesn't? Something is wrong with this world...

quote:
BEST PICTURE

"Black Panther"
"BlacKkKlansman"
"Bohemian Rhapsody"
"The Favourite"
"Green Book"
"Roma"
"A Star Is Born"
"Vice"

Full list...

https://oscar.go.com/nominees

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 12:10 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Green Book will probably win.

Best actor will go to Bale even though it should be Malek.

Actress will be Olivia Colman even though she's shite.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 01:15 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

I would put the Favorite and Roma over Green Book.

Bale for actor I agree with.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 01:19 AM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Green Book for best picture

although haven't watched Roma yet until next week

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 03:41 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody... The academy has ****in lost it.

BP was an average super hero flick, nothing more. And Bohemian Rhapsody was downright bad.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 06:47 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

The Only OSCAR that Matters!!!!!!!

....well this one matters too...

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 06:57 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834

BP was an average super hero flick, nothing more.

Was way above average.

And a far superior film to the nominations we usually get.

In My Opinion of course.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 08:36 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

BP was solid, but nothing special. Glad it got many nominations, though.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 08:42 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Couldn't care less, I hate how political this shit is now. BP isn't even close to being a contender for best picture.

The worst thing about it's shitty, token nomination, is that there actually were black films this year that are good enough to compete for best picture. KKKlansmen was great, I didn't like the message of Sorry to Bother You but the acting and directing were great. Green Book isn't in the same tier as those two but it had great performances from the leads. Like, there are actual good films starring or made by PoC that can stand on their own merits rather then relying on populism. This pandering isn't necessary.

If any marvel film this side of the decade deserved an oscar the closest would be Infinity War. That film is an ACTUAL feat for cinema.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Jan 23rd, 2019 at 09:39 AM

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 09:28 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Was way above average.

And a far superior film to the nominations we usually get.

In My Opinion of course.

This film wasn't good even in your own opinon

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 10:21 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Tzeentch

If any marvel film this side of the decade deserved an oscar the closest would be Infinity War. That film is an ACTUAL feat for cinema.

Yeah but BP is a 97% on RT compared to IWs 85%. So far better reviewed by critics.

That said, its more curious Bohemian Rhapsody got nominated which has a 62% on RT. Now thats odd.

BP shouldnt be a surprise thought given how Huge the film was, and given the reviews were almost 100% positive.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 04:41 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I want to reach through the monitor and strangle you to death. The Oscars existed 50 YEARS before Rotten Tomatoes did. WHY IN THE F*CK SHOULD ROTTEN TOMATOES RATINGS DICTATE OSCAR NOMINATIONS? WHY THE F*CK SHOULD MOVIE POPULARITY DICTATE OSCAR NOMINATIONS.

THIS IS NOT THE ****ING NICKELODEON TEEN CHOICE AWARDS. THE OSCARS IS NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST. THE POINT OF THE OSCARS IS TO HAVE FILMMAKERS OBJECTIVELY CRITIQUE THE QUALITY OF FILM MAKING. CINEMATOGRAPHY. SOUND DESIGN. ACTING. SCREENWRITING. EDITING. SPECIAL EFFECTS. THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT MAKE UP A FILM. BEST PICTURE NOMINATIONS SHOULD BE FILMS THAT THE FILMMAKING COMMUNITY THINK ARE THE MOST WELL MADE. POPULARITY, CULTURAL IMPACT AND TICKET SALES SHOULD NOT BE APART OF THAT CRITERIA.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Jan 23rd, 2019 at 06:55 PM

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 06:48 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by playa1258
I would put the Favorite and Roma over Green Book.

Bale for actor I agree with.

Nah. The academy might be ready to nominate Netflix entries but not to have them win just yet.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 07:12 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Couldn't care less
You sure? It sounds like you care quite a bit, judging from your posts.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 07:26 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I want to reach through the monitor and strangle you to death. The Oscars existed 50 YEARS before Rotten Tomatoes did. WHY IN THE F*CK SHOULD ROTTEN TOMATOES RATINGS DICTATE OSCAR NOMINATIONS? WHY THE F*CK SHOULD MOVIE POPULARITY DICTATE OSCAR NOMINATIONS.

THIS IS NOT THE ****ING NICKELODEON TEEN CHOICE AWARDS. THE OSCARS IS NOT A POPULARITY CONTEST. THE POINT OF THE OSCARS IS TO HAVE FILMMAKERS OBJECTIVELY CRITIQUE THE QUALITY OF FILM MAKING. CINEMATOGRAPHY. SOUND DESIGN. ACTING. SCREENWRITING. EDITING. SPECIAL EFFECTS. THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT MAKE UP A FILM. BEST PICTURE NOMINATIONS SHOULD BE FILMS THAT THE FILMMAKING COMMUNITY THINK ARE THE MOST WELL MADE. POPULARITY, CULTURAL IMPACT AND TICKET SALES SHOULD NOT BE APART OF THAT CRITERIA.

Rotten Tomatoes also has a critics score. Professional film critics. So if the fan rating is not to your taste, then the professional critics might be.

97% from the critics.

100% from the top critics.

That's top critics.

Audience score gave it a 79%.

The Academy, criticized as becoming more and more out of touch with reality, is composed of 8000 people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards#Voters

quote:
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), a professional honorary organization, maintains a voting membership of over 8,000 as of 2018.[34]

Academy membership is divided into different branches, with each representing a different discipline in film production. Actors constitute the largest voting bloc, numbering 1,311 members (22 percent) of the Academy's composition. Votes have been certified by the auditing firm PricewaterhouseCoopers (and its predecessor Price Waterhouse) for the past 83 annual awards ceremonies. The firm mails the ballots of eligible nominees to members of the Academy in December to reflect the previous eligible year with a due date sometime in January of the next year, then tabulates the votes in a process that takes thousands of hours.[35][36][37]

All AMPAS members must be invited to join by the Board of Governors, on behalf of Academy Branch Executive Committees. Membership eligibility may be achieved by a competitive nomination or a member may submit a name based on other significant contributions to the field of motion pictures.

New membership proposals are considered annually. The Academy does not publicly disclose its membership, although as recently as 2007 press releases have announced the names of those who have been invited to join. The 2007 release also stated that it has just under 6,000 voting members. While the membership had been growing, stricter policies have kept its size steady since then.[38]

In 2012, the results of a study conducted by the Los Angeles Times were published describing the demographic breakdown of approximately 88% of AMPAS' voting membership. Of the 5,100+ active voters confirmed, 94% were Caucasian, 77% were male, and 54% were found to be over the age of 60. 33% of voting members are former nominees (14%) and winners (19%).[39]

In May 2011, the Academy sent a letter advising its 6,000 or so voting members that an online system for Oscar voting would be implemented in 2013.[40]

But you could be trolling and faking outrage. I'd trust public critics on Rotten Tomatoes over private organizations like The Academy. I can see their name, who they work for, and their voting history on Rotten Tomatoes. Top Critics, too. private voters, too.

Rotten Tomatoes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Academy.

For me, it's easier to come up with best films by finding all movies that had more than 50 critical reviews from 2018.We'd have to hedge against some critics negative reviews somewhow to include really good films that may not have been received as well as other films that tick all the boxes for critics.

Edit - What Rotten Tomatoes does not do is it does not review some of the technical elements of film making. Which is important. I can see the best film coming from other areas. But more of the technical categories are best from The Academy, still, IMO. I don't always agree but it is usually spot-on.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 08:01 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

See what we should do is take all the review scores for every film and leave out any above 85/100 as outliers and leave out any below 15/100 as outliers and take all the ones between 15 and 85 and dismiss them as neutral votes then just make up the winners based on whatever the **** who cares loada shite anyway ****in bollocks.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 08:25 PM
Darth Thor

I want to reach through the monitor and strangle you to death.

Wow. This really isnt getting to you at all.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 08:52 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
See what we should do is take all the review scores for every film and leave out any above 85/100 as outliers and leave out any below 15/100 as outliers and take all the ones between 15 and 85 and dismiss them as neutral votes then just make up the winners based on whatever the **** who cares loada shite anyway ****in bollocks.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 09:05 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I'd be okay with a transparent "Academy."

Best Sound should be from a group of sound editors and sound effects pros. For example. And we should see all the voters. I agree with Blaxican that having experts vote on the expert areas is actually meaningful and important. Some schmuck voting for best Sound is not really relevant.

And I just made a case for why a Jury of Peers, as opposed to a Jury of Experts, is a better idea. smile

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 09:07 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Wow. This really isnt getting to you at all.

Honestly, I think you just like being choked, so you do it on purpose.

Kinky.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2019 09:53 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote