KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)
Started by: StiltmanFTW

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)

Good stuff.

Story by Guillermo del Toro.

Recommend it to everyone thumb up

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 10th, 2019 09:34 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

i've seen ads for this.... not sure when but i certainly might see

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 10th, 2019 09:40 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i've seen ads for this.... not sure when but i certainly might see

I went in blind today. Enjoyed it.

Reminded me a lot of "It", the remake from 2017.

Decent scores on RT so far:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sc...ell_in_the_dark

Old Post Aug 10th, 2019 09:44 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dynamix

i wasn't feeling it much. i thought the story seemed very familiar, and i don't mean that because its an adaption.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2019 02:00 AM
dynamix is currently offline Click here to Send dynamix a Private Message Find more posts by dynamix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Maybe I'll go see this, this Saturday.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 01:01 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Oliver Brown
Restricted

Account Restricted

The movie's a little on the long side, and most of the secondary characters are just sketches, but when it focuses on the spookhouse stuff - or when Colletti and Garza get a chance to develop their awkward, gentle chemistry - it's pretty satisfying.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2019 09:27 AM
Oliver Brown is currently offline Click here to Send Oliver Brown a Private Message Find more posts by Oliver Brown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Looks pretty cool.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2019 08:17 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Going to see this tonight with gf.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2019 03:31 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So we saw it last night. It was nothing too special, but we enjoyed it.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 09:01 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Really do want to see this. The book illustrations used to scare the shit out of me as a kid.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 09:59 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galan007
Really do want to see this. The book illustrations used to scare the shit out of me as a kid.

Yeah I still have all the books. Looking at them I'm shocked these were aimed towards kids lol.

I also still have 2 cassette tapes with the stories on them. These tapes used to freak me out as a kid, especially "Wheres my toe?".

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 10:01 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

One of my elementary school teachers used to read us this shit IN class, lol.

I distinctly remember her reading the "Harold" story. Scarecrow comes to life, slaughters a few farmers, skins them, then leaves their skin out to bake in the sun.

...Good times. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 10:13 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

For kids!

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 10:16 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galan007
One of my elementary school teachers used to read us this shit IN class, lol.

I distinctly remember her reading the "Harold" story. Scarecrow comes to life, slaughters a few farmers, skins them, then leaves their skin out to bake in the sun.

...Good times. thumb up

Oh Harold? He [SPOILER - highlight to read]: shows up in the film, yet still looks more disturbing in the book

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 10:18 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by Surtur
Oh Harold? He [SPOILER - highlight to read]: shows up in the film, yet still looks more disturbing in the book

I haven't read the book, but [SPOILER - highlight to read]: it seems that the original Harold was way more brutal, according to Galan's post.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 10:23 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh yeah he definitely is. Harold is one of the most memorable stories in the trilogy.

That picture is burned into a lot of peoples memories.

Last edited by Surtur on Aug 18th, 2019 at 10:29 PM

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 10:27 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Well... it's a real shame this was not an R-rated film, then sad

Could've benefited lots from it.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 10:31 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah they toned down a lot of the stuff, I think "The Red Spot" stayed truest to the material. But yeah they made Harold less disturbing.

Would have been awesome if this was rated R. Especially with Guillermo del Toro producing and writing.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 10:33 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

From quick google search, seems like Guillermo f*cked us on this one:

Del Toro also confirmed the film would be PG-13, not R, as he wanted it to be scary but also to reflect the book series' legacy of being favorites of young readers. ... It's a ride, but there is a safety bar in it," said Del Toro.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 10:37 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I guess he was in a weird position. These were books technically aimed at kids and, strangely enough, he needed to tone them down in order for kids to be able to see them lol.

On the other hand this is mostly nostalgia getting people to see it so...I dunno, he should have taken a chance.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2019 10:40 PM